Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
MW Media UK

Recording a song - order
      #1058625 - 22/07/13 12:47 PM
I have done lots of music production but not done much song recording.

I am going to be working on a project with a local singer and am after some advice.

Before she records vocals, how much of the music is best to get recorded/produced? Everything, just the basic guitar/piano parts? Any ideal order of recording I should be aware of?

--------------------
MW Media UK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Recording a song - order new [Re: MW Media UK]
      #1058668 - 22/07/13 03:56 PM
It's different from one performer to another. Even if you do record all of the instrumentation you may find that your vocalist wants everything muted but the piano!

The best thing to do is to discuss with the vocalist in question to see how they feel about it.

And if you involve them in the thought process then they will be less likely to blame you for making the wrong choice!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Mr.MixAlot

Re: Recording a song - order new [Re: The Elf]
      #1059280 - 26/07/13 03:08 AM
Quote The Elf:

It's different from one performer to another. Even if you do record all of the instrumentation you may find that your vocalist wants everything muted but the piano!

The best thing to do is to discuss with the vocalist in question to see how they feel about it.

And if you involve them in the thought process then they will be less likely to blame you for making the wrong choice!

This is usually how approach the situation. Anything you can do to assure the client that you are on their side and are flexible enough to work however they would like will help turn them into a repeat client. Good luck.

--------------------
Life is like a box of preamps, you never know which one you're gonna get.

Jack Ruston

Re: Recording a song - order new [Re: MW Media UK]
      #1059364 - 26/07/13 01:16 PM
I would say that you want the main rhythm parts in place...drums, bass, rhythm guitar, piano possibly. If those sorts of instruments are going to be used, they need to have a pulse which the singer will react to. If you record say acoustic guitar or piano with a vocal first, you tend to find that that pulse is very different, and sometimes it's just impossible to then overdub the other elements in the way you want. It's catch 22 sometimes...the singer needs to hear the vibe of the track, and the band need to know what the vocal is doing. One way is to track some elements of the track together with a guide vocal, then do some more overdubs before going back over the vocal. The advantage of having a guide vocal early in the process is that overdubbed parts can work with the vocal rather than against it.

There are lots of ways to go...I've done things to a programmed shaker, I've started with drums and bass, and I've done a guide vocal and guitar live together in free time and then just overdubbed everything to that. Don't be afraid to start again if you think you're going wrong. Don't be afraid to nudge things a little bit if you have to. Don't be afraid to redo a part if it subsequently doesn't work. It's a lot easier when you have a band with defined parts who are rehearsed and toured. It's tricky when you're slightly writing as you go...the goalposts can move!

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Re: Recording a song - order new [Re: Jack Ruston]
      #1059648 - 29/07/13 07:14 AM
Quote:

If those sorts of instruments are going to be used, they need to have a pulse which the singer will react to.

+1

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1820

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media