Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
MoBuc

Loc: Balto, MD USA
Process to make Sonic Space mixing Audio Rendered via MIDI
      #1059266 - 25/07/13 10:59 PM
Hi...Open question to any and all MIDI Users-Trackers, who actully mix with Digital-audio that is Rendered from MIDI in their Projects (e.g. Kick Rendered from a VSTi Audio sample like found in N.I.'s Battery or Steinberg's Halion) : Do you process your 1st Compressions and-or EQ (within your DAW) as you would if Tracking the input of a live musician? (e.g. Thresholds,Roll-Offs, etc.)

I'm concerned about the samples used already having been processed & is not a Dry audio. e.g. the creator of the sample used in the Kick of the Kit probably has already added some basic Compression, EQ and maybe even Reverb-Delay or other Fx to the sample used. I'm looking for tips on developing Sonic Space in my mix when I may have to use pre-processed audio.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

--------------------
- Mo
"Everyday life changes, Sets get rearranges, and ALL- the Players change costumes". -- "New Day" by Geo Benson (W Shakespeare paraphrase)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
KeithAC1

Loc: Milton Keynes
Re: Process to make Sonic Space mixing Audio Rendered via MIDI new [Re: MoBuc]
      #1059283 - 26/07/13 07:08 AM
Hi,
I was doing a lot of this yesterday, ie printing (bouncing) VST instrument tracks to audio to free up CPU power.

When doing this I tend to zero (reset fader to zero and bypass any insert plugins/EQ etc) the instrument track and bounce it. I then copy the exact same plugin chain, EQ and fader level to the printed track. This means I still have the full flexibility of further adjusting my signal chain by revisiting the insert and EQ settings on this new audio track.

Normally I would then leave the old instrument track disabled/muted with all processing bypassed so I can go back, edit the MIDI data and/or instrument itself, and then re-bounce to a new audio file if required.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1017

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media