Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
noblestone

Portable Recording Device Advice?
      #1060456 - 02/08/13 10:42 PM
So, I have a little home set up, in a separate house, behind where I live. I am very used to it, and I haven't changed much for a few years, other than some adding and subtracting of outboard gear.

My daughter wanted to have her band practice at the house. The studio tracking room was cluttered, so I told her they could set up in my living room. It's got 14 foot ceilings, about 10m x 8m, and an irregular contour, with wide openings into both the den area and the dinning room, and hardwood floors. I let her take my old Silvertone Twin 12 inside to use for practice. I was helping her get everything set up and, on a lark, picked up her '56 Duo Sonic (which, by the way, is a really cool guitar, and which she had painted "sparkly coral," and which could be a model for what real fretboard wear looks like, no relicing here) and plugged in.

Holy %$#! It sounded great. I went and got the Ampeg Gemini, an old Champ and a different guitar. Same result. Or maybe it just sounded different because of the big, live room.

I'm kind of a compartmentalizing type, so I have an acoustic guitar in my bedroom, but don't play much in the house.

But now I keep thinking that I'd like to be able to track, at least guitar, in that room sometimes.

I'm getting to my question now . . . sorry.

What would you recommend for simple tracking here, mostly overdub stuff. My home system is severely racked and I don't relish taking everything apart to record across the yard. I have a separate rack with an Avalon 737sp, a Summit 2BA-221, and a Summit TLA-50. This rack might be considered to be "portable," at least in terms of lugging it across the back yard to the house, and there are only the I/O's and power for those units to have to deal with.

I was thinking about getting a truly, intentionally portable tracking device. I don't need mixing capability, but obviously need XLR, and I would like to have some control over the levels. I don't think I need more than four tracks at a time. I have a U87, a Royer 122, and a newer stereo pair C414's (for room ambience), and I'd like to be able to take advantage of these mics, not use mics intrinsic to a handheld portable, unless there's something I don't know. For this experiment, I'd be fine with just two track capability.

Oh yeah, I don't have a laptop. Gave it up for an iPad two years ago, all I need to check email and surf the web.

So: Thoughts on portable recording, either using my own pre amps or those in the postulated piece of hardware, but phantom power has to be available. I'd rather not have to disengage my racked pre amps, though. Is there a financially reasonable way to solve this? I am fine with 24/44.1.

Thanks in advance!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Portable Recording Device Advice? new [Re: noblestone]
      #1060473 - 03/08/13 07:33 AM
Sounds like a Zoom H4N would be ideal for you. 4 tracks (2 of which using the in-built mic's though - which are pretty good), XLR inputs, phantom power... It's all there.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1060474 - 03/08/13 07:42 AM
Olympus LS-100

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Goddard

#1060488 - 03/08/13 10:29 AM
Well, as you've an iPad already, how about the Alesis iO Mix?

Coupled with one of the available multi-tracker apps such as Auria, Cubasis, Garageband, etc. you'd be set.

Thunderbass1

#1060495 - 03/08/13 10:58 AM
Judging by your taste in Pre amps and mics you may be disappointed in anything too 'budget'.
I personally get on well with a Fireface in CC mode going into an Ipad with Auria.
You could also try a Babyface for two channel working (with a 1u rack of mic pre's going into the ADAT port when you need more than two Mic amps).

Edited by Thunderbass1 (03/08/13 11:01 AM)

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1060503 - 03/08/13 12:10 PM
cymaticaudio live-recorder-lr-16

and just £370!!!

ManFromGlass

Loc: In the woods in Canada
Re: Portable Recording Device Advice? new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1060520 - 03/08/13 02:00 PM
H4n works well for my needs. But the iPad stuff is awesome should you be so inclined!

noblestone

#1060650 - 04/08/13 05:16 PM
All,

Thanks for the input. I'm flummoxed. Believe I'll probably go small, just can't decide between the H4n, the Tascam 680, and the Roland R-26. I like the idea of the Fireface, and if I truly like this space after I've spent some time there, that may be the direction that I go.

Anyway, if there are any 11th hour comments, I'd welcome them. I'm probably going to make a decision today or in the morning.

Thanks again!

Fran Guidry

Loc: Walnut Creek, CA, USA
      #1060816 - 06/08/13 04:20 AM
There's a good possibility that the new Zoom H6 would be worth the extra cost over the H4n, if the preamps are improved as advertised, especially if you'll be tracking acoustic guitar.

Fran

--------------------
E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
www.kaleponi.com & www.homebrewedmusic.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1997

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media