Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Can you effectively record three channels with two if you use a M/S decoder?
      #1060624 - 04/08/13 02:50 PM
Am wondering about making a live recording of a funk band by sending the mixing desk outs to a four-channel interface. Would it be possible to combine a stereo submix of the horns and a mono guitar signal and then use a M/S decoder to process the signals separately when mixing afterwards?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Can you effectively record three channels with two if you use a M/S decoder? new [Re: mjfe2]
      #1060630 - 04/08/13 03:06 PM
Short answer - no.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

mjfe2

Re: Can you effectively record three channels with two if you use a M/S decoder? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1060638 - 04/08/13 03:49 PM
Quote The Elf:

Short answer - no.

There are four horns. What if I panned two of them hard left and two hard right -- surely then I could end up with the guitar as the mid signal and the horns as a sides signal? Then I was thinking I could narrow the width of the horns track to mitigate against the extreme panning. Would this really not work? I realise it's a bit ad hoc!

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Can you effectively record three channels with two if you use a M/S decoder? new [Re: mjfe2]
      #1060642 - 04/08/13 04:31 PM
No matter how much you squirm you only have two channels - no matter what you do to them. That means two mono signals - not one mono and one stereo.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Tim Gillett

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
      #1060694 - 05/08/13 02:17 AM
As I understand it M/S only works when the M/S signals have a specific relationship to one another such as with the cardioid mic for Mid and the figure 8 for the Sides, both mics being physically close to one another and picking up the same sound stage.

But your question is an interesting one.
I've resorted to electrical subtraction with some live 4 track recordings of a band I played in years ago. At the gig there obviously werent enough tracks for me to record all instruments or vocals separately so I had recorded it in this way: 1: FOH mix. 2: guitar, 3: bass, 4: accordian.

At some points the accordian was too loud in the FOH mix. By inverting phase on that track and mixing in back into the FOH mix I was able to lower the accordian's volume. The same could be done for the other two instruments recorded separately. Their level in the mix could not only be increased but now decreased, re the live FOH mix.

It would be possible to create a new FOH track where the guitar, bass and accordian have all been stripped out. Then you can add each of them afresh, panning if desired.

Of course you can only do this if the signals to be cancelled are identical or very similar.

Ah the joys of algebra and simultaneous equations!

Tim

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1060701 - 05/08/13 06:46 AM
M/S = Mid / Side *NOT* Mono / Stereo

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

mjfe2

Re: Can you effectively record three channels with two if you use a M/S decoder? new [Re: John Willett]
      #1060707 - 05/08/13 09:12 AM
Quote John Willett:

M/S = Mid / Side *NOT* Mono / Stereo

I know that much, thank you! I just wondered if it was possible to remove mono sound from a stereo signal (like those plugins do for amateur karaoke backing tracks).

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1060708 - 05/08/13 09:12 AM
Quote mjfe2:

Would it be possible to combine a stereo submix of the horns and a mono guitar signal and then use a M/S decoder to process the signals separately when mixing afterwards?

As others have said: no! You can record a stereo submix of the horns with the guitar panned centre if you like, but the separation between them will be limited. You could use MS processing to adjust the relative balance, EQ, or dynamic compression of the Mid (guitar) and Side (horns) signals with some independence, but that's about as far as it goes.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

SOS Technical Editor

#1060709 - 05/08/13 09:21 AM
Quote mjfe2:

Quote The Elf:

Short answer - no.

There are four horns. What if I panned two of them hard left and two hard right -- surely then I could end up with the guitar as the mid signal and the horns as a sides signal? Then I was thinking I could narrow the width of the horns track to mitigate against the extreme panning. Would this really not work?

It depends what you're trying to achieve. The MS signal is created and extracted by a sum/difference matrix.

Mid = left + right Side = left - right

And for the decode:

Left = Mid + Side right = Mid - Side

So the mid track will contain not only the guitar, but also all four horns. If you don't want horns on the Mid channel, then you have to mix the horns into a mono signal, and then split that in two, one part panned hard left and the other hard right, but with a polarity inversion.

Only in that way will you have the exclusive separation you require with guitar only in the Mid, and horns only in the Sides.

If you place some horns left and some right, as you propose, there is no exclusivity, and no separation, because they are different signals in different places.

As the Elf says, MS is a two-channel medium, not three-channel.

Of you want separation between the guitar and horns, your only options are conventional stereo with horns panned hard left and guitar panned hard right, or MS with guitar centre and all horns summed and split as described above. Two channels.

H

--------------------

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1060711 - 05/08/13 09:22 AM
A friend of mine used to mess around with putting signals into the rear channels of a Hafler style surround system with surprising success. This involved inserting a difference signal between the 2 stereo channels. In theory this would also appear in the front channels but the level in the front channels was much lower than I would have expected. So, while you won't get total isolation, it might be worth a go.

One other thing to look at would be the Center Channel Extractor in Adobe Audition - this can isolate signals in a given position in the stereo image although the sound quality isn't always great so I treat it as a 'use when absolutely necessary' tool.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

SOS Technical Editor

#1060712 - 05/08/13 09:26 AM
Quote mjfe2:

I just wondered if it was possible to remove mono sound from a stereo signal (like those plugins do for amateur karaoke backing tracks).

Yes, most easily through phase cancellation... but then your stereo horns become mono too (and possibly with some phase issues in the process). There are other more sophisticated means -- the Adobe Audition Centre Channel extractor that James mentions, or Roland's R-Mix -- but at the end of the day, you're trying to get more out of the system than it is capable of.

H

--------------------

mjfe2

Re: Can you effectively record three channels with two if you use a M/S decoder? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1060718 - 05/08/13 09:57 AM
Okay, thanks Hugh and everyone else. Looks like I'll have to give up this pipe dream! Will be recording horns to one channel, guitar to the second, keys to the third and drums/bass to the fourth -- just like in the '60s!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2253

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media