Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Pitchfork

Loc: London
Parallels VM Midi Latency
      #1060736 - 05/08/13 01:58 PM
Is there a way around Parallels Desktop 8 and Audio/Midi latency when using DAW on the Windows side (of a Mac)?

I have a Mac and USB M-Audio keyboard which works great. However I have some plugs that are Windows only, and use my copy of Reaper to host them in Windows partition on PD8. I can easily switch the plugged in USB Keyboard over to Parallels and it turns up in Windows and ready to play in Reaper.

However the latency even with tweaking the DAW is just a bit too much to play/record. Notes are delayed that the recording in the piano roll is off which is a bit annoying.

Does Parallels itself have a latency MIDI USB setting or as im doing this out of the Mac's digital output, would connecting a Coreaudio interface (like my 828mk2) bring this up to speed?

I know its a VM and shouldnt expect too much, but it means I may have to buy a PC tower just to run a few Windows Plug ins (which isn't a bad thing) and maybe better to have a dedicated machine, and render the VST's to audio to bring back into the Mac (to mix the final audio project)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
G-Doubleyou

Re: Parallels VM Midi Latency new [Re: Pitchfork]
      #1060907 - 06/08/13 05:09 PM
Your other better performing option, is to get a large system drive and use Bootcamp to run windows.

Bootcamp is a utility that provides windows drivers for Apple Hardware, and bios emulation.

You can do your work in Reaper Windows and Then open on the Mac side, if you want to.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

rACed2

#1061070 - 07/08/13 11:15 PM
Quote Pitchfork:

... However I have some plugs that are Windows only, and use my copy of Reaper to host them in Windows partition on PD8. ...However the latency even with tweaking the DAW is just a bit too much to play/record. Notes are delayed that the recording in the piano roll is off which is a bit annoying.

Would it be possible for you to record the MIDI in the Mac then playback it through the paralells version with the plugins and record that to a new track?

Goddard

#1061074 - 08/08/13 12:23 AM
Saw you'd also posted a query over on GS.

PD8 can't provide low latency over USB due to the way in which USB (and audio hardware also) is emulated (abstracted) for use (connection) by the guest OS. PD8 does not support direct "hardware passthrough". Dunno if VMware Fusion does (doubtful).

G-Doubleyou

#1061078 - 08/08/13 03:41 AM
It's a tough deal to get better performance in that virtual space.

In simple terms, with Bootcamp the mac BECOMES a widows machine, Windows communicates directly with the Apple hardware.

Your set up has Windows talking to Parallels, who passes the message on to OSX.
By the time the message arrives it's old news.

Edited by G-Doubleyou (08/08/13 03:42 AM)

Goddard

Re: Parallels VM Midi Latency new [Re: G-Doubleyou]
      #1061082 - 08/08/13 05:22 AM
Quote G-Doubleyou:

It's a tough deal to get better performance in that virtual space.

In simple terms, with Bootcamp the mac BECOMES a widows machine, Windows communicates directly with the Apple hardware.

Your set up has Windows talking to Parallels, who passes the message on to OSX.
By the time the message arrives it's old news.

Except that bootcamp isn't virtualization, it's just Windows running on Intel hardware with an Apple UEFI BIOS instead of OSX running on that hardware, i.e., a dual-boot setup with Windows being installed in a separate partition from OSX. But it's only Windows, without OSX at all, i.e., either OSX or Windows, but not both at same time on same system.

Parallels Desktop (or VMware Fusion, etc.) is a virtualization platform (hypervisor) running under OSX which enables running Windows in a virtual machine (VM) alongside OSX at the same time on the same system, with shared desktop (so-called "coherence" feature). PD8 running in OSX can boot a Windows VM from a bootcamp partition in which that Windows is installed

Btw, Windows has offered similar virtualization capabilities for some time now also (basic, but for free) enabling running other (earlier) versions of Windows in a VM alongside, e.g. XP mode.

A limitation of most virtualization platforms has long been been that host system hardware needs to be further abstracted (emulated) in order to be made available to guest OSes running in VMs, unless it can be directly assigned (passed-through) to the guest OS while being hidden from the host OS. USB passthrough in PD8 is virtual (emulated) and thus slow. And PD8 doesn't even offer emulated Firewire at all, while the basic Windows virtualization platform doesn't even offer USB emulation (only in server hypervisor version).

Some enterprise class virtualization platforms do offer direct passthrough capabilities for certain system hardware, as necessary support for this has become available in recent Intel and AMD processors and chipsets. But even so, different applications running under host/guest OSes or in separate VMs can't easily communicate or share data between themselves (which typically requires networking them), which makes it difficult to use separate DAWs under separate OSes in a virtualization scenario.

The best solution for the OP would probably be running the Windows-only pluig-ins on a Windows PC alongside the Mac as was guessed at. Vienna Ensemble Pro could be useful for that although not absolutely necessary if audio and MIDI can be otherwise passed between PC and Mac.

Edited by Goddard (08/08/13 06:06 AM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2963

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media