Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Alesis Multimix 2.0 USB and gain levels
      #1067540 - 24/09/13 08:05 PM
Hei! I'm going to use the Alesis mixer/digital interface to experiment with recording some multimiked drums. In the manual - when it talks about what essentially is gain staging for recording - it states clearly to "adjust the gain knob until the LED meter remains at or very close to 0" (page 12, point 7 - the PDF manual is online here). I don't have the mixer yet in my hands, but I find it strange to record so hot with what is essentially a digital interface. Normally when I record on the PC I set preamp gain levels so that I get a -18dBFS average and peak at -12 or -10 in the DAW and the results so far have been remarkably good. The Alesis' preamps have apparently 50dB of gain, which is not crazily much but should work fine with modern condenser mics. So I'm a bit puzzled.

As anyone used the mixer? (and yeah, there's certainly better equipment and preamps but I want to have individual mic tracks to the DAW, the Alesis passed the SOS review and this is my experimenting budget , so it'll have to do.. )

Surely there's something I'm not getting..

Cheers,

-Cris

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Alesis Multimix 2.0 USB and gain levels new [Re: CS70]
      #1067545 - 24/09/13 08:53 PM
I have one and it's very good (for the money). It's not a Trident or Neve or SSL, whatever, but serves a purpose (I use mine as a monitor mixer, much like those stupidly and horribly overpriced 'summing mixers' . . . they are just mixers FFS!). But anyway...

It's an analogue mixer and you can run the inputs hotter than you might on a digital thing or audio I/O, whatever. In fact, to obtain maximum signal-to-noise, it's a good idea to run as hot as possible. There may be some distortion but analogue distortion is more graceful than digital - might actually add some 'character' ... and if there IS some distortion on the analogue side of the system, back things off a tad with the input GAIN controls. And for getting it into you 'puter over USB, if it's a bit hot, back off the master output on the MultiMix.

Damned handy little mixer for a silly price and not a bad spec. And the pre-amps are actually very good (I did work for Alesis some years ago and knew the designer).

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Re: Alesis Multimix 2.0 USB and gain levels new [Re: hollowsun]
      #1067580 - 25/09/13 08:13 AM
Sounds good and all clear. Just got it in my hands, looking forward to a test run this afternoon.

Thanks Hollowsun!

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Alesis Multimix 2.0 USB and gain levels new [Re: CS70]
      #1067584 - 25/09/13 08:53 AM
When you use dB you always need to specify a reference level. If you add the FS after the dB then you know that 0dB is full scale and signals can't go any higher. The mixer's 0dB level is different - that's the standard working level for the mixer and it should have quite a few dB of headroom above that. You'll have to read the manual in depth to work out how the mixer's reference level translates to external levels.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1553

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media