Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
redcoat

RME Fireface 400 issue
      #1067609 - 25/09/13 10:51 AM
Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can help.(setup is logic 9, quadcore mbp)

I'm having a very irritating problem with my rme fireface 400

Basically my left channel sounds distant,quiet and small compared to the correct sounding right channel.
It's not the speakers because when I change cables or pan opposite in total mix it's the same problem.

A friend of mine recently had the exact same issue and we are both now totally stumped!

Thanks in advance for any help

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: RME Fireface 400 issue new [Re: redcoat]
      #1067621 - 25/09/13 12:09 PM
Quote redcoat:

Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can help.(setup is logic 9, quadcore mbp)

I'm having a very irritating problem with my rme fireface 400

Basically my left channel sounds distant,quiet and small compared to the correct sounding right channel.
It's not the speakers because when I change cables or pan opposite in total mix it's the same problem.

A friend of mine recently had the exact same issue and we are both now totally stumped!

Thanks in advance for any help

Faulty output jacks on RME gear are not unknown. Or you may have set up something silly in Totalmix (which basically needs leaving well alone unless you want to set up complex monitor mixes).

You'll get better help at the RME forum.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1067633 - 25/09/13 01:07 PM
Are you using the correct (balanced) cables?

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Exalted Wombat

Re: RME Fireface 400 issue new [Re: The Elf]
      #1067643 - 25/09/13 01:33 PM
Quote The Elf:

Are you using the correct (balanced) cables?

Or making consistent use of unbalanced ones?

Is there anything else you aren't telling us? Peculiar wiring arrangements?

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1067647 - 25/09/13 02:12 PM
You would get this if you haven't pushed the output plugs in all the way -- and some plugs have oversized bodies that foul on adjacent plugs to prevent them being inserted correctly, so check that.

It's also possible that you'd get this effect if you are using an unbalanced cable (TS plugs) rather than a balanced one (TRS plugs).

Or maybe you've accidentally plugged into the wrong socket completely for one channel -- it happens!

Other than those simple mechanical possibilities, the most likely culprit is something daft on the totalmix software, and after that, a failure with the output drivers in the RME itself.

However, best to check the simple things again before panicing! It's very easy to misplug things or not see the obvious when you're reaching around the back of a unit in a rack or something.

When you say you have swapped cables etc, have you done this methodically, trying the good speaker plugged into the weedy output, and -- separately -- the 'weedy' speaker plugged into the good output? Sorry if I'm teaching grannie to suck eggs here, but its surprising how often people replug things illogically and then draw false conclusions.

Basically, we need to know that both speakers work correctly when fed from the 'good output' using their existing cables, and that both sound weedy when plugged into the bad output. If that's the case, then it is a problem with the RME and not the cables or speakers and we can focus our fault-finding in that area.

If one speaker remains weedy regardless of where it's plugged in, then it's a speaker or cable issue, obviously.

But do this individually with one speaker at a time to avoid problems with adjacent plugs fouling each other, and to avoid confusion with using the wrong output sockets inadvertently.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1729

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media