Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
kaotica eyeball - how much of this magic can be true?
      #1067821 - 26/09/13 06:45 PM
This at best sounds like some sort of Reflexion Filter cum pop filter, but then it makes all kinds of claims above and beyond - increasing signal to noise ratio, etc.

I'm always biased against people who are asking for my money who can't/won't use proofreaders, so maybe I'm being unfairly cynical. Can someone who actually knows this stuff please tell me what they think about this?

Thanks!

http://kaoticaeyeball.com

Quote:

The Eyeball is an acoustic treatment device designed to channel sound directly to a microphone, capturing every tone and frequency emitted by your voice. This allows the artist to hear their pure vocal tone for the first time and produce a professional level recording every time. The Eyeball minimizes the need for sound re-enforcement (sic) while also complimenting (sic) any acoustically treated space.

Control Your Sound
Specifically engineered to channel the sound of your voice without any coloration, ensuring that your pure vocal tone is captured

Take the Eyeball Anywhere
Be inspired to record anywhere; the Eyeball is small, durable and practically weightless

Integrated Pop-Filter
Our premium blue pop-filter reduces plosive consonants and sibilance without affecting the overall recording quality

Reduce Ambience and Reflection
The Eyeball eliminates the external environment. So no matter where you are, your tracks will always sound as if they were recorded in the same place

Quote:

The Eyeball channels sound directly into your microphone. This means that all of the low and high frequency information contained within your voice can now be captured, allowing you to truly hear yourself for the first time. The Eyeball accurately portrays every aspect of your voice, without adding any colouration, producing a vocal track that is clear and defined every time. The design prevents your microphone from capturing ambient noise and room tone, while reducing any potential phase cancellations.

The Eyeball reduces the need for sound re-enforcement in your home studio space, while perfectly complementing any acoustically treated environment. It is practically weightless, small and durable allowing you to take it anywhere, meaning your tracks will always sound like they were recorded in the same place.

Quote:

Based upon the volume levels indicated by the RMS and DBSPL readings, sound is louder inside of the Eyeball. The louder volume level has many distinct advantages. First, it will increase the Signal to Noise Ratio (S:N Ratio) of your recorded track.

Quote:

The Eyeball is not actually amplifying the sound. The reason for these amplitude increases is because sound is not being allowed to disperse through air, but is being channelled directly into your microphone.

Re: the graph - wouldn't this property of "maintaining the sound longer" mean it's adding some kind of reverb quality to the signal?
Quote:

Within the Eyeball we see a smoother, slower, and more linear decay pattern, while the envelope of the sound without the Eyeball decays much quicker. This shows us how quickly sound is dispersed through air, and how much longer the sound is maintained inside of The Eyeball.

Technical specs:
Quote:

Frequency response: 0Hz - 30KHz +/-1.4dB
THD: 6.789%
Max Peak: 140dB
TL: 3.73dB (average)
Polar Patterns: Cardioid is recommended, but all types of polar patterns can be used with the Eyeball

Maybe Hugh can review this in SOS!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: kaotica eyeball - how much of this magic can be true? new [Re: alexis]
      #1067823 - 26/09/13 07:02 PM
We must most definitely review it!

I can see how it could potentially be beneficial in vocal recording, but the marketing BS doesn't do them any favours. We've seen that before haven't we... I blame the demise of science teaching in schools...

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: kaotica eyeball - how much of this magic can be true? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1067828 - 26/09/13 07:33 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

I blame the demise of teaching in schools...

Fixed that for you!

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1067829 - 26/09/13 07:34 PM
I look forward to that.

Is that young lady the inventor? She's quite nice but her trousers are cut much too short. I hope that's not indicative of her attitude to quality control in general.

--------------------
Onward and outward

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Re: kaotica eyeball - how much of this magic can be true? new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1067831 - 26/09/13 07:48 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

I look forward to that.

Is that young lady the inventor? She's quite nice but her trousers are cut much too short. I hope that's not indicative of her attitude to quality control in general.

Respectfully disagree, though perhaps the deep pockets are off-putting?

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

shufflebeat

#1067836 - 26/09/13 09:13 PM
Quote alexis:

perhaps the deep pockets are off-putting?

Ah, of course. She's expecting significant sales. Wise woman.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1067866 - 27/09/13 07:32 AM
The description brings this to mind

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1067874 - 27/09/13 08:26 AM
Definitely needs reviewing

Though I do suspect a lot of the brown cow stuff

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

G-Doubleyou

Re: kaotica eyeball - how much of this magic can be true? new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1067944 - 27/09/13 05:41 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

I look forward to that.

I agree, she could also use a little nutrition, and long pants.

I like my women with a LITTLE meat on them!

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

shufflebeat

Re: kaotica eyeball - how much of this magic can be true? new [Re: John Willett]
      #1068100 - 29/09/13 11:23 AM
I see by John's post she has taken our advice re trouser length. I'm not concerned about her dietary habits so long as she gets enough fibre and keeps coming up with these innovative and practical products. More power to her.

--------------------
Onward and outward

SOS Technical Editor

#1068101 - 29/09/13 11:25 AM
Apparently a review sample is on its way to us. Watch out for a review soon.

Hugh

--------------------

DarrenSw

Loc: Sleaford, UK
Re: kaotica eyeball - how much of this magic can be true? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1068186 - 30/09/13 08:40 AM
Can't wait too to see the review on this... However, is $199 for essentially a foam ball a little high?

Yes, I get all the R&D time and money spent etc etc but still seems a little high to me.

--------------------
This forum is like Hotel California...
You can log-out any time you like, but you can never leave...

SOS Technical Editor

Re: kaotica eyeball - how much of this magic can be true? new [Re: DarrenSw]
      #1068204 - 30/09/13 09:49 AM
It's worth whatever people will pay for it... and I guess it's in competition with the likes of sE's Reflexion Filters and the various knock-offs of that design, which cost a similar amount.

If it works as well as they claim, then I'm sure other companies will start producing slight variations on the them at lower cost!

H

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 3812

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media