Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
theloniouscoltrane

Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal
      #1067946 - 27/09/13 05:53 PM
I want to record from the soundboard, preferably at 24/96 or even 24/192. The goal is to get the cleanest possible recording , with good portability and low price. All I need is a stereo recording

After having read all the handheld reviews, where a large portion of the cost is wrapped up in mics and preamps, and multitrack recorders with high prices and multiple inputs I just don't need, I find nothing about what I need.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Edited by theloniouscoltrane (27/09/13 05:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
chris...

Re: Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal new [Re: theloniouscoltrane]
      #1067972 - 27/09/13 09:40 PM
Quote theloniouscoltrane:

After having read all the handheld reviews, where a large portion of the cost is wrapped up in mics and preamps

If you're looking at inexpensive handheld stereo recorders, most of those probably have cheapo mics and preamps, so no need to worry.

For what it's worth, I suspect M-Audio didn't spend anything much on the Microtrack (v1 or v2) preamps, and it has no mics at all. And it does 24/96. But I'm not sure how great the convertors are. However, it should hopefully be inexpensive on eBay.

Another plan might be to get an appropriate audio interface for a laptop.

It would almost certainly help if you explained what is to be recorded, and why 96 or 192 kHz is wanted, as those high sample rates are usually associated with very high end audiophile activities, which are generally not known for being "inexpensive".

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal new [Re: theloniouscoltrane]
      #1067985 - 27/09/13 11:31 PM
Pretty much all of the current batch of portable recorders include built-in mcs and preamps. There are plenty around that will do 24/96, but only the higher end units will do 24/192... and being realistic, it is pointless recording at that rate anyway.

All of the cheaper units only have 3.5mm (1/8 inch) unbalanced line inputs, but that might be fine if your console has unbalanced record outputs. The onboard converters will be perfectly adequate for recording the putput of a live console. If you need balanced line inputs and higher quality you'll need to increase the budget, and the cheapest I can think of is the tascam dr100 mk ii -- but that also has an Spdif input to, so can be used as a 'bit bucket' if you have a digital output available somewhere in your system.

Without knowing your budget it's impossible to offer any more advice... You appear to want to make high quality recordings from a live sound console, but in most cases the console output will be a less-than-perfect balance because of the acoustic contribution of the on-stage back line and folback, as well as any tonal compromises imposed by the PA and hall acoustics.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Exalted Wombat

#1067987 - 27/09/13 11:46 PM

I want to record from the soundboard, preferably at 24/96 or even 24/192.

Why? It won't sound any different to 24/44.1.

mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1067995 - 28/09/13 08:24 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread but can I ask the same question for recording eight (or preferably 16) channels. Is there something portable that could take this number of inputs from the insert points on our desk? We want to make live recordings when we gig but it seems superfluous to buy some kind of interface that has eight or more preamps when we already have all the preamps in our desk. Also I like the idea of recording to an SD drive or similar rather than lugging along a laptop to each gig.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal new [Re: mjfe2]
      #1067997 - 28/09/13 08:41 AM
Quote mjfe2:

Sorry to hijack this thread but can I ask the same question for recording eight (or preferably 16) channels. Is there something portable that could take this number of inputs from the insert points on our desk? We want to make live recordings when we gig but it seems superfluous to buy some kind of interface that has eight or more preamps when we already have all the preamps in our desk. Also I like the idea of recording to an SD drive or similar rather than lugging along a laptop to each gig.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may13/articles/allen-heath-ice16.htm
Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

#1067999 - 28/09/13 08:57 AM
The JoeCo recorder is one option, and the analogue input version is designed to take its signal from unbalanced insert points without disturbing the mixer's signal flow. This thing is designed by some of the same team that brought SADiE to the market.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/blackboxrecorder.htm

And the obvious lower cost alternative is A&H product that Dave has already listed.

hugh

--------------------

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1068001 - 28/09/13 09:28 AM
And let's not forget Cymatic Cymatic

and the Zoom R16/R24 Zoom R16

Of course, they 'only' record up to 24-bit, 44.1KHz, WAV (48K for the Cymatic), but I've always found that perfectly adequate for location work. I've regularly used the R16 with sniffer inserts and it's worked well.

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1068016 - 28/09/13 12:14 PM
Quote mjfe2:

For your use, the best option is the JoeCo Black Box recorder - no contest.

Edit - I see Hugh beat me to it this time

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1068019 - 28/09/13 12:21 PM

I want to record from the soundboard, preferably at 24/96 or even 24/192. The goal is to get the cleanest possible recording , with good portability and low price. All I need is a stereo recording

After having read all the handheld reviews, where a large portion of the cost is wrapped up in mics and preamps, and multitrack recorders with high prices and multiple inputs I just don't need, I find nothing about what I need.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

I would go for the Olympus LS-100 for analogue only - or the Tascam DR-100II or the Marantz PMD661 Mk.2 if you find a digital input useful (the Tascam and Marantz units are the only ones on the market I know of that have a digital input).

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Tim Gillett

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Re: Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #1068026 - 28/09/13 01:42 PM
Quote Mike Stranks:

and the Zoom R16/R24 Zoom R16

Of course, they 'only' record up to 24-bit, 44.1KHz, WAV (48K for the Cymatic), but I've always found that perfectly adequate for location work. I've regularly used the R16 with sniffer inserts and it's worked well.

Second that Mike. I do the same with an R16. Great portability and value.

Tim

chris...

#1068027 - 28/09/13 02:00 PM
Most of the units suggested for the OP are "good", but few fit the requirement of "inexpensive"...

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1068032 - 28/09/13 02:33 PM
Then Cymatic uses the same converters as the ICE from A&H and does 96kHz and costs just £364

http://www.cymaticaudio.com/index.php/products/live-recorder...

Thomann offer

Edited by The Red Bladder (28/09/13 02:34 PM)

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1068038 - 28/09/13 04:10 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

Then Cymatic... does 96kHz...

Not in 'record' mode - only 'interface'.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1068049 - 28/09/13 06:09 PM
Er, Hugh, what's "putput of a live console" ?

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #1068052 - 28/09/13 06:20 PM
Quote Guy Johnson:

Probably a dodgy capacitor in the power supply.

--------------------
Anagrams can be fnu.

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Best inexpensive recorder to capture line level signal new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #1068058 - 28/09/13 08:06 PM
Quote Guy Johnson:

What! Do you really not know? And there's me thinking you're some kind of big shot record producer...

I've sacked my proof reader and moved the P key to the other side of the keyboard, well away from the O.

H

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2412

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media