Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Guitarman

Pre-Amp Question
      #1072867 - 02/11/13 09:19 AM
Hi Guys

I have just bought a new interface,Focusrite Saffire Pro 14,and i want to add a preamp
to my setup.

I was looking at the Presonus Tube Pre V2 and i wondered if anyone here has or has used one
and what their thoughts on it are.

It's for use with my guitar,not a mic.

Thanks

Alan

Edited by Guitarman (02/11/13 09:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Pre-Amp Question new [Re: Guitarman]
      #1072885 - 02/11/13 11:51 AM
Are we talking electric guitar or an acoustic with pickups?

The Saffire has quite reasonable preamps already, so the question to be asked is what are you trying to achieve in terms of the guitar sound you're after?

You might be better going down the guitar pedal or processor route, rather than a valve preamp.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Guitarman

#1072962 - 03/11/13 09:10 AM
Hello Hugh

First off thank you for the reply.

We are talking Electric Guitars,Fender and Gibson.

Reason for thinking about a tube Pre is that my guitar goes into the Focusrite
Saffire - into Logic Pro X - then Waves GTR3 - and ends up being mixed with the
backing track.

As you can see,it's all digital,so the Tube Pre is an attempt to get some Analogue
Warmth into the guitar.

I would be interested to know what Pedals you were thinking of.

If you don't think this is a good idea,perhaps you could suggest an alternative.or maybe non a all.

Thanks

Alan

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1072964 - 03/11/13 10:35 AM
Hi Alan,
I seem to recall that the Audient Mico got a good reccy and the instrument input was well regarded? It also has the advantage of built in S/PDIF and thus will not "rob" you of any analogue connectivity.

But do you have a guitar amplifier? If not you could consider a certain (Cough! Spam forbids!) 5 watter that is particularly suited to recording work since it will work silently as a pre amp and delivers a speaker emulated output.

Dave.

Guitarman

#1072968 - 03/11/13 11:13 AM
Thanks Dave

I have considered the "B****S**R" amp with recording out,but i have always asked the question whether it would be better than
my current setup,which incidentally also includes Redwirez Impulses of both Fender and Vox Amps,and works fine with
Waves GTR3 Amp Sim.

No one will say whether the amp would be better/same/different/worse than what i currently use so I have never
tried one.

It would not give me any Analogue warmth to my all digital signal train,would it.

It would be nice to hear from someone who actually uses said amp in the same situation as mine.

Alan

ef37a

#1072976 - 03/11/13 11:31 AM
Quote Guitarman:

Thanks Dave

I have considered the "B****S**R" amp with recording out,but i have always asked the question whether it would be better than
my current setup,which incidentally also includes Redwirez Impulses of both Fender and Vox Amps,and works fine with
Waves GTR3 Amp Sim.

No one will say whether the amp would be better/same/different/worse than what i currently use so I have never
tried one.

It would not give me any Analogue warmth to my all digital signal train,would it.

It would be nice to hear from someone who actually uses said amp in the same situation as mine.

Alan

Hey! YOU can say it! Just I that would be spamming*
I don't get the "no added analogue warmth" (whatever that is!) The Five is ALL analogue!

*I am no longer in their pay, had to leave for urgent personal reasons but peeps about the forums know of my past connection and I remain very loyal so I shall not name the name for a while yet.

And!! 'Bout time SoS reviewed one!

Dave.

Guitarman

#1072982 - 03/11/13 11:55 AM
Hi Dave

Understood,now can you please answer the question that everyone ducks.

Is it better/same/worse/no different to what i am currently using.

Where can i find info on the emulated out.

I did try a Blackstar 1w emulated out but returned it the next day,so much noise when plugged into the input
of my interface (M-Audio Profire 610) it was unusable.

Thanks

Alan

ef37a

#1072993 - 03/11/13 12:59 PM
"I did try a Blackstar 1w emulated out but returned it the next day,so much noise when plugged into the input
of my interface (M-Audio Profire 610) it was unusable."

I hate it when this happens!!!

I don't have the EM spec to hand for the HT-1 but the HT-5 puts out a nominal +0.5dBV at the headphone/em output and I would expect the HT-1 to be about the same or a little less. That is about 1 volt rms and should not cause any problem to the line input of any AI.

It is possible that there was some earth loop situation happening but I would have liked to opportunity to try to find out!

It is impossible for anyone to say if the 5 would be "better" than your present rig. I will bet you a guitar lead it will be DIFFERENT! It will certainly be all analogue up to the converter.

Dave.

Guitarman

#1073065 - 03/11/13 10:16 PM
Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply,you have just answered a question that had been bothering me for a while,you see.

I had an HT-1 and I bought it specifically for the Emulated Out. The shop where I bought it from gave me the correct lead, which was a mini jack to 1/4 Jack and told me it went into the instrument input on the front of the interface.

I got the Amp home, excited because I had always wanted a Blackstar.

Plugged it in as instructed,and the noise was deafening,hissing static,absolutely Unusable to say the least. I took it back to the shop and explained the problem,they said it was probably faulty and refunded the money I had paid. I could not believe it was so noisy,and from your answer,i now know why.

The Emulated Out should be connected to the Line In of the interface,not the instrument input on the front.

I hope that's correct,no doubt you will tell me if it's not.

Alan

ef37a

#1073070 - 03/11/13 10:38 PM
Quote Guitarman:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply,you have just answered a question that had been bothering me for a while,you see.

I had an HT-1 and I bought it specifically for the Emulated Out. The shop where I bought it from gave me the correct lead, which was a mini jack to 1/4 Jack and told me it went into the instrument input on the front of the interface.

I got the Amp home, excited because I had always wanted a Blackstar.

Plugged it in as instructed,and the noise was deafening,hissing static,absolutely Unusable to say the least. I took it back to the shop and explained the problem,they said it was probably faulty and refunded the money I had paid. I could not believe it was so noisy,and from your answer,i now know why.

The Emulated Out should be connected to the Line In of the interface,not the instrument input on the front.

I hope that's correct,no doubt you will tell me if it's not.

Alan

Hmm, while that AI does have the rather high gain of 53dB on the instrument input it really should have given decent results with the One unless you had ALL the taps wide open! Did you try headphones on the amp? It is entirely possible that the headphone amp stage was noisy (never been known before tho!) since that would not show up in the amp's main signal path.

Dave.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Pre-Amp Question new [Re: ef37a]
      #1073078 - 03/11/13 11:28 PM
Quote ef37a:

It will certainly be all analogue up to the converter.

That's the kind of design detail I really like.

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

ef37a

Re: Pre-Amp Question new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1073083 - 03/11/13 11:39 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote ef37a:

It will certainly be all analogue up to the converter.

That's the kind of design detail I really like.

Happy to oblige.

Dave.

Guitarman

#1073114 - 04/11/13 09:17 AM
Hi Dave

No I didn't use headphones.

When the lead was connected the noise came from the Amps speaker,the only way to shut
it up was to turn the volume knob right down.

I was given Blackstars phone number and i rang them and asked what they thought the problem could be,they told me to return it to the dealer,ask him to return it to us and we will investigate,they also took my number and said they would ring me and keep me informed.

About a month later,after the dealer had returned the amp,i contacted the dealer to ask what Blackstar had found.
He did not reply,and i could not be bothered ringing Blackstar,if they had wanted me to know they should have rang me as they promised.

I remember reading something about this on the SOS website,but i can't remember if it was the same problem.

Alan

ef37a

#1073124 - 04/11/13 10:20 AM
Quote Guitarman:

Hi Dave

No I didn't use headphones.

When the lead was connected the noise came from the Amps speaker,the only way to shut
it up was to turn the volume knob right down.

I was given Blackstars phone number and i rang them and asked what they thought the problem could be,they told me to return it to the dealer,ask him to return it to us and we will investigate,they also took my number and said they would ring me and keep me informed.

About a month later,after the dealer had returned the amp,i contacted the dealer to ask what Blackstar had found.
He did not reply,and i could not be bothered ringing Blackstar,if they had wanted me to know they should have rang me as they promised.

I remember reading something about this on the SOS website,but i can't remember if it was the same problem.

Alan

Very sorry about that Alan but this happens. Dealers promise to do things but they don't!

My last 10 months or so with the company were in the lab, nothing to do with service queries. However, had there been a noise issue with the HT-1 in general I am pretty sure I would have been pressed into investigating the problem!
I shall be popping into the works in the next week or so and I shall make some discrete enquiries.

Dave.

Guitarman

#1073140 - 04/11/13 11:01 AM
Dave,i have sent you a PM.

Alan

Matthew Ottewill

#1073806 - 08/11/13 11:43 PM
Speaking as someone who owns a Digidesign Eleven, Pod XT Pro, THX power soak, and a varity of mic pres and compressors both trani and valve, there is no substitute for an SM57 in front of a cab connected to any mic pre.

Save your money on the Presonous and build an isolation box out of MDF if your amp is too loud.

You can spend the money you save on a lovely present for your mum!

--------------------
www.projectstudiohandbook.com

Guitarman

#1074811 - 17/11/13 09:08 AM
Hi Matthew

Problem is I don't have an amp.

The Presonus is hopefully going to give me a slightly warmer sound,all my recordings are D.I
and digital,no valves anywhere.

Alan

ef37a

#1074812 - 17/11/13 09:34 AM
Quote Guitarman:

Hi Matthew

The Presonus is hopefully going to give me a slightly warmer sound,all my recordings are D.I

Alan

Just FYI. Saw a very clean Fender Mustang 1 in Cash Generators last week for 80quid.I have found out that they are very well thought of even though solid state.

Dave.

TSH-Tim

Loc: Guildford
Re: Pre-Amp Question new [Re: ef37a]
      #1075289 - 19/11/13 07:18 PM
Quote ef37a:

Quote Guitarman:

Hi Matthew

Alan

Just FYI. Saw a very clean Fender Mustang 1 in Cash Generators last week for 80quid.I have found out that they are very well thought of even though solid state.

Dave.

Dave the fender mustang V1 is pritty stunning (if in good nick etc etc blar blar) just a shame the V2 wasn't up to much

Although I have heard different... :?

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

ef37a

Re: Pre-Amp Question new [Re: TSH-Tim]
      #1075308 - 19/11/13 09:38 PM
Quote TSH-Tim:

Quote ef37a:

Quote Guitarman:

Hi Matthew

Alan

Dave.

Dave the fender mustang V1 is pritty stunning (if in good nick etc etc blar blar) just a shame the V2 wasn't up to much

Although I have heard different... :?

Right! You are about the fourth person on the second forum that has told me that. If it is still there tomm' I am going to buy it!

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4077

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media