Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
techturd

Getting sound from iPad into Pro Tools with mbox 3
      #1081481 - 02/01/14 02:02 AM
So what I want to do is be able to play with music apps on the ipad and record the sounds I'm making, real time, into pro tools. My interface is an mbox 3.

My plan was to get an 8th inch to rca adapter and then two rca to 1/4 inch adapters, go 8th out of the headphone jack on the iPad and then into the two separate 1/4 inch inputs on the mbox. It seems a little convoluted to me so I'm wondering if anyone has any better ideas or if that's the best way, then I just want to make sure I'm using the best/right kind of adapters. It's sort of confusing looking up the adapters online cause you run into a lot of rca to stereo 1/4 inch.

Anyways, I hope this all makes some sense. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Sam
www.samlevin.org

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
Re: Getting sound from iPad into Pro Tools with mbox 3 new [Re: techturd]
      #1081564 - 02/01/14 01:13 PM
Hi Sam, and welcome to the SOS forums.

I'm still new to the iPad but I do wonder whether you are making things a little over complicated. There are quite a few devices for getting high quality audio and MIDI into the iPad, but not so many for getting it out again.

Have you considered using one of the iPad recording apps to record the synth aps and then export the audio using iTunes/iCloud? You should get a lot better audio quality than the headphone jack and no cables to worry about. If you just want to start a track on the iPad and then develop it further in Pro Tools that will work just fine.

If you want to add parts to an existing track in Pro Tools you could save a basic stereo guide track and transfer it to your iPad, import into your iPad DAW and then record as many extra tracks as you need to export as before. Again, no special equipment required.

Or you might be able to use MIDI to sync Pro Tools with the iPad DAW if you had something like the iRig Pro in your tool box. That would allow you to play your app synths with a full MIDI keyboard, sync to MIDI tempo messages from Pro Tools, and would give you a great mobile interface if you wanted to record vocals and guitars while away from your main system.

And I am sure others will have other ideas too.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

G-Doubleyou

#1081592 - 02/01/14 05:04 PM
For the scoop on everything musical in the iOS world http://idesignsound.com/

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1081616 - 02/01/14 07:21 PM
Quote techturd:

So what I want to do is be able to play with music apps on the ipad and record the sounds I'm making, real time, into pro tools. My interface is an mbox 3.

My plan was to get an 8th inch to rca adapter and then two rca to 1/4 inch adapters, go 8th out of the headphone jack on the iPad and then into the two separate 1/4 inch inputs on the mbox. It seems a little convoluted to me so I'm wondering if anyone has any better ideas or if that's the best way, then I just want to make sure I'm using the best/right kind of adapters. It's sort of confusing looking up the adapters online cause you run into a lot of rca to stereo 1/4 inch.

Anyways, I hope this all makes some sense. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Sam
www.samlevin.org

I got a stereo mini jack to 2RCA mono phono lead, alongside 2 phono to 1/4 inch jack converters to wire my ipad headphone output to my focusrite 10/10 from maplins walsall for around £15 to do precisely what you are doing.(the only difference is the size of the converters)

I think the irig headphone output is probably slightly better than the headphone output on the ipad, but it adds £20 plus to you bill....and you'd still have to input a mini jack to your box for monitoring.......and the recording the output and passing it through iTunes is a right faff....for not much gain IMHO...especially as I like to jam out my recordings with synths...and I usually decimate them after in logic anyway...so usually record audio only...makes my ipad a great additional synth!

As an output from the ipad I don't think the headphone out is that bad.....certainly as clean as say my audio out from my ms2000
If I wanted to vastly improve the ipad, the. I'd be looking at a forte or similar....but that would be for the recording ability.

As a synth kinda output, it's as good as any keyboard I have
£15 in maplin...easy

Wease

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

techturd

#1081797 - 03/01/14 06:31 PM
Hey folks, thanks a bunch for the input. I'll check out all of your suggestions and go from there.

cheers,

Sam

www.samlevin.org

Goddard

#1082798 - 11/01/14 12:24 AM
The iPad analog I/O is not really that good (let down by poor ADC and DAC performance). And the iRig truly sucks ime (Tascam's iXY is far superior ime).

The best way would be to use an iPad-compatible audio interface with an S/PDIF digital output connected to the Mbox 3's S/PDIF input.

Goddard

Re: Getting sound from iPad into Pro Tools with mbox 3 new [Re: Goddard]
      #1082812 - 11/01/14 12:05 PM
Quote Goddard:

The iPad analog I/O is not really that good (let down by poor ADC and DAC performance). And the iRig truly sucks ime (Tascam's iXY is far superior ime).

The best way would be to use an iPad-compatible audio interface with an S/PDIF digital output connected to the Mbox 3's S/PDIF input.

Edit: That should have been "Tascam's iXZ" (rather than "iXY").

Btw, there is also an "Apps and other computer/OS" forum here where iPad related info can be found.

Exalted Wombat

#1082815 - 11/01/14 12:42 PM
Quote techturd:

My plan was to get an 8th inch to rca adapter and then two rca to 1/4 inch adapters, go 8th out of the headphone jack on the iPad and then into the two separate 1/4 inch inputs on the mbox. It seems a little convoluted to me...

Difficult to think of a simpler way, unless you make up a custom cable. The minijack to 2 x phono is probably the most common cable in the computer-music world, you very likely own one already. The adapters are also common items in all our toolboxes.

Recording internally on the iPad then transferring the file would be a lot more convoluted. And anyway, you say you want to do this in real time.

As said, audio output quality of the iPad is not wonderful. But it's not THAT bad, and we're talking emulated synths, not purist acoustic recordings. Isn't a bit of grunge GOOD?

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #1082868 - 11/01/14 09:01 PM
What could be simpler than taking a lead out of the audio output of one device (the ipad) and plugging it into the input of another (the audio interface)?

It isn't rocket science and the quality of the iPads audio out is perfectly good enough for synths.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Goddard

Re: Getting sound from iPad into Pro Tools with mbox 3 new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1082895 - 12/01/14 03:00 AM
The analog audio output via the iPad mic/earphone jack routes through the headphone amp. Otoh, the analog output via the dock (or "lightning") connector is a nominal line-level output. One can find "dock" line-out adapters.

Softsynths are actually capable of outputting rather higher fidelity audio streams (e.g. utilizing all 24 bits for signal) compared to the output of most ADCs (where the low bits are just quantization noise). Yes, that is right, synthesized audio typically has greater dynamic range and SQNR than recorded audio.

So, taking the digital output from iPad (via the dock/lightning connector) is preferable for preserving fidelity as compared to going out via iPad DAC (and headphone amp) and then into Mbox 3's line amp and ADC which path will only degrade fidelity and add noise.

If one wants "grunge", there are fx for that.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Getting sound from iPad into Pro Tools with mbox 3 new [Re: Goddard]
      #1082898 - 12/01/14 03:39 AM
Quote Goddard:

Softsynths are actually capable of outputting rather higher fidelity audio streams (e.g. utilizing all 24 bits for signal) compared to the output of most ADCs (where the low bits are just quantization noise). Yes, that is right, synthesized audio typically has greater dynamic range and SQNR than recorded audio.

But it's the source quality that matters! Wouldn't you rather have a 22.05/12-bit sample of [name your favourite singer] than a 96/24 one of a sine wave?

Goddard

Re: Getting sound from iPad into Pro Tools with mbox 3 new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1082918 - 12/01/14 11:43 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote Goddard:

But it's the source quality that matters! Wouldn't you rather have a 22.05/12-bit sample of [name your favourite singer] than a 96/24 one of a sine wave?

What are you talking about now?

The OP wants to play music apps (iow, virtual instruments, softsynths) on iPad and record them into PT on a computer.

And no, i would rather have a 24/96 recording of a singer (which is quite possible to accomplish with an iPad) along with 24-bit softsynth backing tracks. And if I want to output audio from iPad into another DAW I would prefer to do so digitally in a bit perfect manner (which is also quite easily accomplished).

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2310

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media