Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Matthew Seed

Gold plated Jacks And RF ?
      #1082412 - 08/01/14 10:09 PM
Hi guys

I have real issues with radio interfearence, this has been going on some time it's from ministry of defence Ariel's I live near.

One interesting development is I have all planet waves cables but just recently tried a a Dimarzio cable. The a dimarzio has almost no interfearence co paired to the new plant waves. The only real difference I can determine between them is the planet waves have gold plated jack plugs and the a Dimarzio has silver.

Could gold plate be a higher inducer of RF ?

Thank you
Matthew

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jim Lockhart

Loc: Menlo Park, California
Re: Gold plated Jacks And RF ? new [Re: Matthew Seed]
      #1082413 - 08/01/14 10:32 PM
It is very unlikely to be the lack of gold plating that makes the difference. More important factors are the quality of the cable shield and the quality of the plugs at each end. Metal handles on the plugs tend to be better than plastic or rubber with respect to RF shielding. I believe the DiMarzio is a high quality cable, but don't know about the Planet Waves.

--------------------
The Sound Physicist

DGL.

#1082414 - 08/01/14 10:38 PM
I don't think so, silver is actually a better conductor than gold, gold however wears slightly when you plug/un-plug creating a cleaner contact.
More likely the dimarzio cable has better screening properties than the planet waves cable.

High power transmission masts can reek havoc as you have found out. I still remember a story from when we had an really high power (about 30-50MW ERP I believe the most powerful in Britain now demolished) SW station in Dorset, the locals were hearing Russian radio that was being transmitted from the mast in their toasters! (the dielectric effect of differing metals in the toaster)

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1082422 - 09/01/14 12:03 AM
As others have said, it's more likely to be down to the type of cable screen, the capacitance of the cable, and whether the plugs are metal or plastic bodied.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Matthew Seed

#1082423 - 09/01/14 12:14 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll invest in a few Dimarzio cables then and get rid of my vast collection of planet waves guitar and mic cables.

Thanks for help
Matthew

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1082459 - 09/01/14 10:16 AM
I'd suggest you buy sensible cables rather than cables with fancy brand names. Decent screened mic cable isn't expensive (around £1 per metre or maybe less) and decent Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors are only a couple of quid each. Studiospares do some reasonable ready made cables if you don't want to make your own.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1082553 - 09/01/14 11:40 AM
I would also suggest getting Neutrik EMC XLRs - I use these now on all new cables I get and they vastly reduce RF interference.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1082572 - 09/01/14 01:51 PM
Before you chuck out perfectly good cables buy and try a set of these...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ferrite-clip-on-hem3017-n94ab. You might even be able to rob some off old printer and VGA leads, they don't seem to fit them any more.

Then, where you have "static" cables e.g. outboard to patch bay, use cheap 3mm OD foil screened cable. It is so cheap (www.cpc.co.uk) that you can have a good extra length to wind onto a ferrite. If you are making up you own XLRs you can fit a 1nF cap to the body yourself.

Dave.

twanguru

Re: Gold plated Jacks And RF ? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1082584 - 09/01/14 04:07 PM
If you are referring to 1/4'' cables, make sure you are using the PW cables correctly: Planet Waves FAQ

I have one of your Custom Instrument cables. What does "shielded end" refer to?

This configuration provides the best shielding against external noise. The shield intercepts external noise and diverts it to the amplifier ground, reducing interference. Connecting the shield to the amplifier end provides the shortest and most direct path to the amplifier ground and maximizes the shielding effectiveness. If the shield is connected at the guitar end, the intercepted noise is forced to travel through the cable before reaching the amplifier ground; this causes extra noise pickup by the cable and reduces shielding effectiveness. If the shield is connected at both ends, some of the noise can still travel through the cable before reaching the amplifier ground, thereby reducing shielding effectiveness.

ef37a

Re: Gold plated Jacks And RF ? new [Re: twanguru]
      #1082596 - 09/01/14 05:04 PM
Quote twanguru:

If you are referring to 1/4'' cables, make sure you are using the PW cables correctly: Planet Waves FAQ

This configuration provides the best shielding against external noise. The shield intercepts external noise and diverts it to the amplifier ground, reducing interference. Connecting the shield to the amplifier end provides the shortest and most direct path to the amplifier ground and maximizes the shielding effectiveness. If the shield is connected at the guitar end, the intercepted noise is forced to travel through the cable before reaching the amplifier ground; this causes extra noise pickup by the cable and reduces shielding effectiveness. If the shield is connected at both ends, some of the noise can still travel through the cable before reaching the amplifier ground, thereby reducing shielding effectiveness.

I assume then that this is a two core, "shielded return" cable? Otherwise the shield MUST be connected at the guitar end for it is the signal return path whence all our unbalanced woes spring!

Dave.

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: Gold plated Jacks And RF ? new [Re: ef37a]
      #1082670 - 10/01/14 11:07 AM
Quote ef37a:

Quote twanguru:

I assume then that this is a two core, "shielded return" cable? Otherwise the shield MUST be connected at the guitar end for it is the signal return path whence all our unbalanced woes spring!

My reading of this is that it is a balanced cable with the shield connected at the amplifier end only (often called "psuedo-balanced") - the signal runs on the two internal cables only. At the guitar end, the shield of the jack plug is connected to the second wire instead of the shield.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

ef37a

Re: Gold plated Jacks And RF ? new [Re: John Willett]
      #1082676 - 10/01/14 11:22 AM
Quote John Willett:

Quote ef37a:

Quote twanguru:

My reading of this is that it is a balanced cable with the shield connected at the amplifier end only (often called "psuedo-balanced") - the signal runs on the two internal cables only. At the guitar end, the shield of the jack plug is connected to the second wire instead of the shield.

Just wot I fort but I dislike the term "balanced" for such a setup.

Dave.

SOS Technical Editor

#1082677 - 10/01/14 11:26 AM
Planet Waves are quiet coy on how they actually wire their cables, but some information suggests that their cables have a double shield arrangement, using an inner foil wrap and an outer braided screen. So it's possible that the outer braid is connected at one end only ... or they may indeed use a twin-core cable to carry the signal and return in unbalanced cables, as suggested. Who knows for sure?

Personally, I'm not keen on the idea of a cable screen left isolated at one end. We called that an aerial when I was at college!

H

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#1082678 - 10/01/14 11:28 AM
Quote ef37a:

He did say pseudo-balanced, to be fair... and if we are talking about guitars and isolated pickups, it could be treated as a balanced source quite easily.

H

--------------------

ef37a

Re: Gold plated Jacks And RF ? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1082693 - 10/01/14 12:43 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote ef37a:

He did say pseudo-balanced, to be fair... and if we are talking about guitars and isolated pickups, it could be treated as a balanced source quite easily.

H

Hmm..This game has enough "pseudo-science" audio tomphoolery and BS to confuse the noob. I like my balanced sinks and sources to have two legs of equal impedance.

Dave.

homergah

#1082699 - 10/01/14 01:08 PM

Hmm..This game has enough "pseudo-science" audio tomphoolery and BS to confuse the noob.

Yes...and I can prove it...

SOS Technical Editor

#1082702 - 10/01/14 01:20 PM
Quote ef37a:

I like my balanced sinks and sources to have two legs of equal impedance.

Me too.

H

--------------------

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Gold plated Jacks And RF ? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1082968 - 12/01/14 02:39 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Planet Waves are quiet coy on how they actually wire their cables, but some information suggests that their cables have a double shield arrangement, using an inner foil wrap and an outer braided screen. So it's possible that the outer braid is connected at one end only ... or they may indeed use a twin-core cable to carry the signal and return in unbalanced cables, as suggested. Who knows for sure?

If it's of any help, I found this image on their web site:

Sure enough, the screening seems to comprise a conductive PVC jacket covered by a foil shield and finally a dense braided shield - really belt and braces stuff

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1655

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media