Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
aMUZE

Loc: Kolkata, India
How to share different headphone mixes with my artists when I am recording.
      #1082770 - 10/01/14 06:42 PM
Hello there,

I have asked this question before as well and din't get satisfactory answers.

My question was:

Hi there,

I am at a fix in deciding what hardware to use with Zoom R16 (as AI) with Cubase AI5 for the headphone mixes. Someone suggested that I go for a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 which has a 8 output channels and configurable in the DAW. However, I am not convinced because I don't want to spend on another AI right now and even if I would do, I would go for another R16 to use it as the slave to my primary one and make my setup a 16 track simultaneous AI setup. Since my budget is tight, so I know there won't be variety in options, but I am desperate now as there will be some recording very soon, where I need to employ this technique.

Please suggest something, anyone?

P.S. My setup goes like- Mics/Instruments -- Zoom R16 in AI mode -- Computer (Cubase) -- Zoom R16 -- Monitors (Here I also want separate headphone mixes available for my artists I am recording for). Zoom R16 has only a stereo out for the monitor and one output for single headphone.

And the link to the question was: http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MRT&Numb er=1082352&fpart=

Relating to my last post, I have ordered a Saffire Pro 24 and Presonus DIGIMix 96K 8 Channel Preamplifier with ADAT light piping option. (The R16 will be used as a MIDI controller for the DAW while editing.) This is not for headphone mixes solution though, I am extending my recording setup and taking it the next level. However, I am still at the same place where I have started. No one around me is being able to give me a solution other than using a headphone amplifier. Though Saffire Pro24 has 6 configurable output for monitors, they can't be used for headphones.

What I want is, to send different mixes of output to different headphones (instead of monitors) for the artists while they are recording live. I will still be using Cubase AI5.

Please help guys.

--------------------
aMUZE
www.soundcloud.com/acfmuze/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: How to share different headphone mixes with my artists when I am recording. new [Re: aMUZE]
      #1082775 - 10/01/14 07:32 PM
Quote aMUZE:

Though Saffire Pro24 has 6 configurable output for monitors, they can't be used for headphones.

The interface will provide the outputs, but, like it or not, you will need a headphone amp.

A multi-channel device, such as the Behringer HA4700/8000, or Samson S-Phone would do the job for not much money.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

aMUZE

Re: How to share different headphone mixes with my artists when I am recording. new [Re: aMUZE]
      #1082782 - 10/01/14 08:21 PM
Hey 'The Elf",

I din't get the point. The same has been referred to me, but what I want to do is send different mixes to different headphones phones.

E.g. There is a 3 piece band I am recording live. During recording there are all using headphones instead of monitors to monitor their performances. This is mainly for decreasing ambient noise to cutdown overdub work and finish recording faster. So in this case vocalist's headphone will have a mix containing more of vocal and less of guitar and bass. Likewise Guitarist's headphone will have more guitar and bassists headphone will have more bass.

I hope you understood my point. Is there something which can solve this issue.

--------------------
aMUZE

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1082785 - 10/01/14 08:54 PM
Quote aMUZE:

Is there something which can solve this issue.

Yes - a multi-channel headphone amp!

There are few ways you can do it.

Go HERE and download the manual for the Samson S-Phone.
I'm using this to give you an example, not saying that this is the only device capable of it!

Take a look at the rear panel on Page 5. Here you will see the Main Inputs for the amp. This allows you to send one stereo mix to the amp, but...

...if you look at the front panel on Page 6 you will see that each pair of headphones can also have its own 'Aux' signal sent to it. This 'Aux' signal will only be heard by that headphone channel, and you can mix between Main and Aux (the control doubles up as the 'Pan' knob - Page 8, Knob 6). This enables you to either:

a) Send each headphone its own mix by using each Aux only.
b) Send a 'Main' mix to the headphone amp, then send each player's own signal as an 'Aux' signal and then allow each artist to mix between the stereo mix and his own signal - commonly known as 'more me'.

Job done!

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1082786 - 10/01/14 08:57 PM
I think everyone here understands the concept of different headphone cue mixes for different performers.

To achieve this you need three things.

1. A means of creating multiple artis cue mixes. Most DAWs can do this easily, and many interfaces have facilities to do likewise with minimal latency.

2. A means of routing these separate cue mixes to separate physical outputs. For this you will require an interface with multiple outputs, which you have.

3. A means of converting the (balanced) line outputs from the interface into signals suited to driving headphones.

The last requires either several seperate headphone amplifiers, or a dedicated multichannel headphone amplifier. There is no way around that. The multi channel units -- of which here are many over a wide price range -- usually have a main stereo input plus independent inputs feeding each headphone channel. As the Elf has explained you can thus give each performer their own mix, or give them a 'sustaining mix' with their own signal via the independent inputs for more ME.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

aMUZE

#1082801 - 11/01/14 05:57 AM
Hey Guys,

Thank you so much. I will definitely borrow a Behringer multichannel headphone amp from my friend and try to hook phones up. Will let you guys know if I succeed.

Cheers

--------------------
aMUZE

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1318

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media