Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
62Strat

Guitar amp mic'ing
      #1099047 - 22/04/14 06:16 PM
Hi,

So I've read the SOS article a million times now -- well not quite a million, but close. You know, the article about recording guitar cabs.

Anyway, even though I know it by heart, I still can't seem to get a good sound. I fear that I may be running into a limitation somewhere in my signal chain, and I think it might be my preamps.

This is the environment: I'm recording in my basement "studio/man cave". I've treated the area where the guitar amp is with GIK bass traps.

--Amp is a Fender Tweed Blues Junior with new JJ tubes.
--Guitars are Fender Telecaster and Gibson Les Paul
--Various pedals and boosters...
--Amp is off the ground on an amp stand, angled up
--Mics that I have: SM57, Beta 58a, KSM27, SM81, Sennheiser e609, AKG d-112
--Preamp: FMR RNP
--A/I: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
--Software: Cubase 5

I've tried dozens of mic placements, combining one or more of the above referenced mics. I've tried most, if not all of the suggestions in the SOS article. I've tried really juicing the gain, recording hot, recording cold. Up close, far away, off-axis, room, ambient, etc.

I feel like I'm doing everything correct, but it still sounds like dog crap.

So, I guess my question is: is it my FMR RNP preamp? Is that just not capable of doing justice to a simple SM57?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Guitar amp mic'ing new [Re: 62Strat]
      #1099052 - 22/04/14 06:47 PM
The first thing is to get the amp sounding good in the room. If you have achieved that then it should be relatively simple to capture it with a few tweaks to mic choice and placement. As long as you aren't recording at silly levels then I doubt your pre is going to be the problem, and I've recorded so many albums with little more than an SM57 that I know the mic won't be a limiting factor.

I'm not a big fan of multiple mic's, though I wouldn't rule it out. If I can't get the sound with one mic then I try other options first.

With some guitarists I find that they expect something magical when their amp is mic'd and they can be disappointed with the raw sound they hear - only in the context of the mix does the penny drop that we actually got a great guitar sound. It is important to process the result with care, mainly to remove the 'cardboard' sound and tame nasty resonances.

Maybe you should let us hear some of your results. They may not be as bad as you think.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Jack Ruston

#1099054 - 22/04/14 06:48 PM
I'm willing to bet heavily that the amp is not able to deliver the sort of recorded tone you've got in your head whatever it sounds like in the room. If you stick a 57 front and centre on a guitar amp in any space, with any preamp and almost any guitar and you don't hear something vaguely resembling what you're going for, then it's usually the amp. Yes, the sound could be refined, and possibly refined a great deal, but you should be hearing the raw semblance of what you're after. My experience of those smaller Fenders is that they have quite a cool 'cheap' sort of vibe but they never sound posh, refined, expensive or punchy. Borrow something else, anything, and see if it changes things a lot. It's that or it's the player

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

62Strat

#1099055 - 22/04/14 06:56 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

As to the sound in the room, I think the guitar sounds great. I've really dialed in the sound that I'm looking for. I would just love to capture that on a recording.

I know there's going to be slight differences: I know the sound is bouncing off of everything in the room before hitting my ears, but the two just don't gel.

I too prefer not to use too many mics. I'd rather just get it with one SM57. I've never really had this problem before, I've always seemed to be able to record guitar cabs fine.

however, this is the first time that I've ever recorded single coils before. All the rest of my guitars are humbuckers... but that shouldn't really change anything.

62Strat

Re: Guitar amp mic'ing new [Re: Jack Ruston]
      #1099056 - 22/04/14 06:58 PM
Quote Jack Ruston:

I'm willing to bet heavily that the amp is not able to deliver the sort of recorded tone you've got in your head whatever it sounds like in the room. If you stick a 57 front and centre on a guitar amp in any space, with any preamp and almost any guitar and you don't hear something vaguely resembling what you're going for, then it's usually the amp. Yes, the sound could be refined, and possibly refined a great deal, but you should be hearing the raw semblance of what you're after. My experience of those smaller Fenders is that they have quite a cool 'cheap' sort of vibe but they never sound posh, refined, expensive or punchy. Borrow something else, anything, and see if it changes things a lot. It's that or it's the player

J

Hmmm, perhaps you're right. I just like using the Blues Junior because it has a master volume knob, which lets me saturate the tubes to get a good sound, yet keep the volume not insanely high.

I have a Bassman as well that I could try. I like the sound of that too, it's just VERY loud, like too loud for my neighborhood.

Jack Ruston

#1099062 - 22/04/14 07:17 PM
Mate, there are few amps better than a good Bassman for recording guitars. In many ways they're the most versatile of all the Fenders and some would say that if you could only have one studio amp, it could be that. I'd stick it in there and just quickly see if your problem goes away. At least you'll know. I do appreciate what you're saying about the noise, but the uncomfortable truth is that recording guitars is a noisy business. Even a 10w valve amp makes a racket. Typically the sort of level you're going to end up with is one that would sit alongside a drum kit without too many problems. If you're recording amps at conversational level they just don't tend to sound good. The speaker doesn't move enough.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

62Strat

#1099067 - 22/04/14 07:31 PM
Quote Jack Ruston:

Mate, there are few amps better than a good Bassman for recording guitars. In many ways they're the most versatile of all the Fenders and some would say that if you could only have one studio amp, it could be that. I'd stick it in there and just quickly see if your problem goes away. At least you'll know. I do appreciate what you're saying about the noise, but the uncomfortable truth is that recording guitars is a noisy business. Even a 10w valve amp makes a racket. Typically the sort of level you're going to end up with is one that would sit alongside a drum kit without too many problems. If you're recording amps at conversational level they just don't tend to sound good. The speaker doesn't move enough.

J

So, what you're saying is, it's more about how much air the speaker moves as opposed to tube saturation? That's an interesting idea, I've never really thought of that before.

Jack Ruston

#1099070 - 22/04/14 07:41 PM
Well it's a combination of a lot of things, but yes the role of the cabinet is really important. There's a sweet spot, a sort of balance in the limiting and frequency response that occurs when the level is right. In a great amp that will coincide with the sweet spot of the amplifier and the design of the cabinet, materials and speaker choice all have a part to play. Obviously as that level comes up the room begins to play a greater role and the choice of mic may be affected. Try the Bassman for a few minutes whenever you can get away with it, and let us know what you discover.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

62Strat

#1099071 - 22/04/14 07:46 PM
Thanks Jack, will do!

CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
      #1099304 - 23/04/14 08:47 PM
Quote 62Strat:

Anyway, even though I know it by heart, I still can't seem to get a good sound.

A lot depends of what you mean with "good sound"?
Or perhaps easier: what is it, that is bad?

Also, certain stuff is not done with a single take.. if you're going for the epic solo or wall of guitars, it's done by layering at mix time, for example.

Also, a tele tends to have a scooped sound, with less mids for example than a stratocaster - so if you are not used (or don't like) the sound, it can be simply the guitar.

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

Billum

Loc: London
      #1099338 - 24/04/14 09:31 AM
After working with a guitarist who loves his Blues Junior, I think that amp has a significant design flaw, and it could be affecting your recording.

The 12" speaker in this amp is just in far too small a cabinet for it! A 12" speaker needs a much bigger space to develop its sound (look at the BJ's biggest brother - the Hot Rod - and see the cabinet, probably double the size! And it sounds 10 times the amp.).

So if you've got a Bassman, as well as trying Jack's suggestions, why not try running your Blues Junior through the Bassman cab (the BJ allows external cabs, but check the impedance matches)? It could give you the master volume loveliness you're after from the BJ but with the proper room to breathe...

matt keen

Loc: Northants, England
      #1099607 - 26/04/14 07:35 AM
The chances of Jack being right are very high

If you like the Bassman type sound but it really is tooo loud in the long run you could think about other tweed Amps
I use a Tweed Deluxe clone by Eli Abbott. Its in a pine cabinet. Fantastic 3D tweed sounds at a reduced volume compared to a Bassman. The Bassman is the greatest amp ever made in my old boy type of opinion.
Just listen to this for a tele into a bassman
bassman joy

--------------------
Matt
www.krcollective.org

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1497

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media