Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Toby Warren

Am I stupid?
      #1108167 - 17/06/14 09:52 AM
I have a Mackie 400F and am thinking of using my beloved Mackie 1402vlz in front of it to bring sounds into my nice new (secondhand) imac. I could faff around trying to get this to work and possibly end up with lots of noise because of this signal path. Before I waste days on this, can anyone advise? Am I just wasting my time here? Obviously I am trying to use what I have (rather than go buy another bit of kit!). BUT.... if anyone has come up with a solution not costing the earth let me know. I am just me with guitar, keyboard and a mic really. Simple. Yeah right.

Thanks for any wisdom! Toby

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
Re: Am I stupid? new [Re: Toby Warren]
      #1108170 - 17/06/14 10:06 AM
Be chill bro! What you've got is absolutely fine. In fact, you probably don't even need the VLZ — the 400F should do everything you need (provided, of course, it works happily with your iMac, in terms of driver/OS compatibility and such).

Cheers,

Chris

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1108225 - 17/06/14 02:45 PM
If you don't need more than 4 mic inputs you'll be fine with the 400F on its own. If you need to add extra mic inputs then you could feed the insert sends from the mic channels on the 1402 into the line inputs on the 400F.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1108245 - 17/06/14 05:23 PM
The 400f should have no issues with the iMac
As said before, you have 4 mic pres on the 400f and room for 4 more (fed from the insert sends of the 1402) for recording.

What might also be nice is taking the 8 outs from the 400f and feeding them to the 1402 for hands on mixing desk mixing.

Sounds like a nice system to me....good honest project studio recording.....which is the best kind!

And the 400f has an additional FireWire slot......so you can expand the system with even another 400f if you needed more ins and outs.....

Happy days!

Wease

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Toby Warren

#1108373 - 18/06/14 11:48 AM
Thanks for letting me know I'm not stupid! Yes, great idea to feed it back thru the mixer. I was recently tempted to buy a Mackie Onyx 1200i. But I believe you cant control the levels going into the computer using the faders.

My concern is just that there might be noise in the background that goes undetected. Anyway I'll give it a try and listen carefully to what I get. Just need to check the drivers for the 400F. its getting old now! Thanks again.

The Korff

#1108378 - 18/06/14 11:56 AM
Quote Toby Warren:

was recently tempted to buy a Mackie Onyx 1200i. But I believe you cant control the levels going into the computer using the faders.

That's normal — the level going into the computer is set via the gain knobs, and you can use the faders to adjust the levels of what you're hearing. This means you can set up a monitor mix to your taste while getting the optimum levels (in terms of headroom and noise) into the computer.

Cheers!

Chris

Exalted Wombat

#1108381 - 18/06/14 12:00 PM
If you have a wide selection of audio sources, the mixer could be used as a glorified patch bay, with the added benefit of level optimization. At the mixing stage, it could enable routing to external processing, but losing the mixer automation in your DAW for the sake of the "hands on" experience is a high price to pay.

Overall, it COULD be useful. But make sure it IS being useful! Since computer audio interfaces developed from being two stereo minijacks on the back of the tower, there's a LOT less equipment on my desk than there used to be. Though some of it hung around way past when it stopped being useful. (It was so expensive...:-)

G-Doubleyou

#1108420 - 18/06/14 03:46 PM
You don't need a mixer, I've had a mixerless setup for over a decade.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Toby Warren

Re: Am I stupid? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1108431 - 18/06/14 04:28 PM
Y'know of course this is why i'm trying to use what I have! It all cost so much. Perhaps it's not about being stupid but not being realistic. Kind of think a Motu lite might just be the way and wave goodbye to the last decades worth of my underused purchases! There is good karma to leaving the past to itself and welcoming the ever constant present, right?!

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1108436 - 18/06/14 05:42 PM
I don't think you'll notice that much difference between the motu lite and the mackie 400f.....not £400 worth of difference anyway.......which could go toward a very nice mic, or some room acoustics etc etc

And you can either use the mixer, or not....but you have the option....you state that it's your "beloved" mackie desk.....you must gain lots of satisfaction by using the desk, and therefore I wager that your a desky type of musician....why would you deny such a simple pleasure??!!

Your workflow will decide whether you want to incorporate the mixer or not....some people love hands on mixer desk mixing, some believe they do, but actually don't, and some don't.....DAW mixer automation is fantastic......but then for some of us 'real' faders and mute buttons and a 'real' piece of equipment is more useful and 'fits' better.

The joy for you is that you can decide, without spending a penny......even if you just use the mic pres on the mackie mixer as input pres, bypassing the faders etc altogether.

As an aside....
There seems to be quite a lot of anti-mixer feeling amongst some forum members....I'm not saying that's either good nor bad, but I am quite curious as to why this would be the case?.....maybe I should post a topic in musicians lounge....

Wease

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Edited by Wease (18/06/14 05:43 PM)

Exalted Wombat

Re: Am I stupid? new [Re: Wease]
      #1108438 - 18/06/14 05:52 PM
Quote Wease:

There seems to be quite a lot of anti-mixer feeling amongst some forum members....I'm not saying that's either good nor bad, but I am quite curious as to why this would be the case?.....maybe I should post a topic in musicians lounge....

Well, it ain't a REAL studio without wall-to-wall channel strips and faders, is it? :-)

My Mackie 1640 is still on the desk, but to be honest it's only acting as a glorified patch bay.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Am I stupid? new [Re: Wease]
      #1108441 - 18/06/14 06:50 PM
Quote Wease:

There seems to be quite a lot of anti-mixer feeling amongst some forum members....I'm not saying that's either good nor bad, but I am quite curious as to why this would be the case?.....maybe I should post a topic in musicians lounge...

No 'anti mixer', but anti-'I want to record, so I *need* a mixer'.

There still seems to be a belief that a mixer is a necessary piece of kit for recording, when it is not only unnecessary 80% of the time, but actually introduces complications, compromises and restrictions - especially for beginners. Most of the time a multi-input audio interface is a more appropriate solution.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

damoore

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Am I stupid? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1108447 - 18/06/14 07:58 PM
The nice thing is you don't have to use a mixer. Some people choose to use a mixer (usually a particular mixer) because they like what it does to the sound. Some people won't use a mixer when recording but will feed the material through a mixer during mastering.

If you are recording yourself, keeping it simple has the advantage that you can't both play and monitor the recording process at the same time, so simple is better.

Toby Warren

#1108728 - 20/06/14 03:33 PM
Has anyone used a small Mackie VLZ in a digital environment? Anything I should avoid doing?

I just love having a small rack in front of me with the lights flickering on my Waldorf, TC effects box et al. It also establishes a place of work, an invisible line says to my kids- Don't Touch! Leave him alone. Weird muso Dad's stuff!

The Korff

#1108735 - 20/06/14 03:54 PM
Well, one particularly good reason to use a mixer is so that you can hear stuff without having to turn your computer on. Being able to fire up a synth, or noodle away on a guitar through a Pod or somesuch, without waiting for the box to boot up is a fine thing. A fine thing indeed.

Cheers!

Chris

G-Doubleyou

#1109145 - 23/06/14 04:13 PM
Quote Toby Warren:

Has anyone used a small Mackie VLZ in a digital environment? Anything I should avoid doing?

I just love having a small rack in front of me with the lights flickering on my Waldorf, TC effects box et al. It also establishes a place of work, an invisible line says to my kids- Don't Touch! Leave him alone. Weird muso Dad's stuff!

I'm not anti mixer, if it's a nice warm analog console, I have a basic one man production setup.

A short signal chain is a clean signal chain.
When I record my guitar and Bass, I plug directly into my Apollo and track with UAD plugins.

I get the desired sound on the way in, job done.

To me the VLZ won't add any character to your sound.

Running a signal through most devices will change the signal.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Edited by G-Doubleyou (23/06/14 04:17 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1831

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media