Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
StephHHF

[Home Studio] Which mic to record acoustic guitar and voice?
      #1108875 - 21/06/14 12:14 PM
Hello,

I'm doing some home recording since a few years, mainly to make preprod before going to real studios. For now, I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and a couple of Behringer B2-Pro.

I'm now working on a record that I'd like to make at home, and for that, I'd like to purchase a better mic than the B2-Pro's that I have.

Is there any mic that:
- would be good for both acoustic guitar (steel, not classical) and male voice
- would be not too expensive (max 500$)

Thank you,
Stéphane.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: [Home Studio] Which mic to record acoustic guitar and voice? new [Re: StephHHF]
      #1108884 - 21/06/14 01:21 PM
I understand SE Electronics offer a good range...

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
Re: [Home Studio] Which mic to record acoustic guitar and voice? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1108885 - 21/06/14 01:29 PM
Exhaulted......that post is one of the funniest I've seen.

I've spat me tea all over me ipad......

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: [Home Studio] Which mic to record acoustic guitar and voice? new [Re: StephHHF]
      #1108890 - 21/06/14 02:23 PM
AT4033 is a nice general purpose mic and well within your price range. As compared with sE it's a bit light on naked ladies.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
Re: [Home Studio] Which mic to record acoustic guitar and voice? new [Re: Wease]
      #1108907 - 21/06/14 05:17 PM
Quote Wease:

Exhaulted......that post is one of the funniest I've seen.

I've spat me tea all over me ipad......

I don't get it?! I hate not getting jokes.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1108926 - 21/06/14 10:32 PM
Are you planning on recording vocals and guitar at the same time?

Will there be other instruments in the final arrangement?

Answers to these questions will determine the best advice.

If the answer is yes to both, I'd recommend a three mic set up, maybe a pair of Rode M5s on the guitar and then either a Sennheiser MK4 or Audio Technica AT2050 on vocals, which could be achieved within budget. (The AT2050 provides multi pattern which can be very useful in figure of eight mode for recording vocals when guitar is played at the same time). An alternative to a vocal condenser would be a nice dynamic like the Shure SM7B, or maybe even a Beyerdynamic M201.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Bob Bickerton

#1108928 - 21/06/14 11:55 PM
And these articles will be of interest:

web page

web page

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

G-Doubleyou

#1109143 - 23/06/14 03:58 PM
Also checkout the Guide.
http://tweakheadz.com/posts/the-guide/

Also be aware that a better mike won't help, if the space you record in SUCKS!

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

The Bunk

Loc: Surrey
      #1109264 - 24/06/14 02:29 PM
Not wishing to hijack this post but I've been lent a Rode NT1000 which I love. I often record acoustic guitar with a female vocalist and it's worked beautifully with her. And that's around my budget in looking for a new one; good one to go for or are there other recommendations at that price?? The room's reasonably well treated, and I'm using a Focusrite 2i2 (although I do also have a Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster channel strip).

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: [Home Studio] Which mic to record acoustic guitar and voice? new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1109307 - 24/06/14 06:29 PM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

I'd recommend a three mic set up

+1

A mono voice *and* mono guitar are going to sound very thin and lonely between stereo speakers.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Bob Bickerton

Re: [Home Studio] Which mic to record acoustic guitar and voice? new [Re: The Bunk]
      #1109337 - 24/06/14 09:07 PM
Quote The Bunk:

Not wishing to hijack this post but I've been lent a Rode NT1000 which I love. I often record acoustic guitar with a female vocalist and it's worked beautifully with her. And that's around my budget in looking for a new one; good one to go for or are there other recommendations at that price?? The room's reasonably well treated, and I'm using a Focusrite 2i2 (although I do also have a Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster channel strip).

Bearing in mind it's also to do with matching the mic to the voice, I would pick the Sennheiser MK4 over an NT1000 and have owned both. The MK4 still has an extended top end (which often suits female vocals), but isn't as hard sounding as the NT1000, though we're talking subtle differences. Another alternative would be a nice dynamic.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: [Home Studio] Which mic to record acoustic guitar and voice? new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1109343 - 24/06/14 09:44 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

I don't get it?! I hate not getting jokes.

The chaps are referring to a discussion elsewhere regarding SOS' new page 3 - page 27.

You may like to check the mag feedback forum but to be honest it's all gone a bit unedifying.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Kgweiro

#1110238 - 01/07/14 02:08 PM
AKG c319

I used this on acoustic steel and got a perfect sound, especially for the price !
Use it directly pointed at the neck if the guitar, around 4" away from the hole.

Exalted Wombat

#1110332 - 02/07/14 10:33 AM
Quote StephHHF:

I'm doing some home recording since a few years, mainly to make preprod before going to real studios. For now, I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and a couple of Behringer B2-Pro.

Juming back to the beginning...

I've just looked up the SoS review of the Behringers, and they don't seem too bad (though when WILL manufacturers wake up to the fact that calling something "pro" immediately defines that it isn't!)

May we hear some of your recordings of the singer/guitarist using these mics? As always, once you've got adequate equipment, It Isn't Really About The Gear :-)

StephHHF

#1110466 - 03/07/14 08:39 AM
Thank your for your answers!

It's not to record guitar and voice at the same time. And yes, unfortunately, the space I record in sucks

Maybe I'll keep the behringers, anyway it's just to do "preprod" material. Indeed, even with a better mic, the room in which I record is not a good room, so maybe I'll keep the money...

Again, thanks to all.

Exalted Wombat

#1110483 - 03/07/14 09:43 AM
Quote StephHHF:

It's not to record guitar and voice at the same time. And yes, unfortunately, the space I record in sucks

Clothes-horses, duvets... It's not hard to build a recording "tent" big enough for a guitar-vocalist.

If the end result is to be guitar+vocal, at least TRY recording it that way. Capturing a performance is often preferable to constructing one.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1981

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media