Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Oliver21

Loc: Petersfield, Hants, UK
Which 16 Channel mixer?
      #989226 - 23/05/12 11:49 PM
I have to qualify this with specifics.

I have a Soundscape Mixtreme with two SS8IO interfaces (8 phono ins/outs) and although 15 years old I'm still a fan of this setup.

I've not really used the inputs much on the SS8IOs and when I have it's usually been to record a vocal from a Focusrite Green 5. I now want to do simultaneous multichannel recording and looking for a way to get mics into the 2 SS8IOs.

I believe the A/D D/A convertors on the SS8IOs are pretty good so am loathe to get rid of these. The Mixtreme has 2 TDifs on it (connected to the SS8IOs) so I'm thinking maybe a good quality all analogue 16 channel desk with 16 outs that can go straight into the SS8IOs. Is there a more sensible/better value for money way of acheiving this?

Many thanks!

O

--------------------
www.oliversheen.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Which 16 Channel mixer? new [Re: Oliver21]
      #989250 - 24/05/12 09:26 AM
Pity they don't have ADAT connections as you would then have a wide choice of preamps with ADAT outputs - from the Behringer ADA8000 up to the Audient ASP008. If you don't need the functions of a mixing desk then it would still make sense to buy a couple of 8 channel preamps. I see that the analogue output version of the ASP-008 can be found for under 800 quid and Focusrite have something around £300. You could also still use the Behringer ADA8000 but, unless you modify it, you would have to go through the A/D and D/A sections to get an analogue output.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #989262 - 24/05/12 10:16 AM
I always quite fancied these Soundcraft Delta 200's or SR's if going the mixer route

(Not mine) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soundcraft-Delta-SR-16-4-2-mixing-desk-console-/ 180890485171?pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item2a1de9c1b3#ht_500wt_1413

Fully modular so you can have them in any configuration you want, direct outs on all the inputs from memory and the 16ch seemed to be a popular frame size so easy to find.

Not sure what the mic pre's are like on them, maybe some one can chime in on this but they go for very reasonable prices on ebay considering what you get imo

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #989278 - 24/05/12 11:35 AM
Pretty reasonable desk from memory.

--------------------
Next on with Pembrokeshire Intimate Gigs

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2809

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media