Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Which size cymbals are these?
      #989859 - 27/05/12 02:27 PM
Hi guys!

Could someone tell me which cymbals these are? They come in around 1:50secs
Led Zeppelin - Bring it on home

I've heard the track on headphones and the cymbals sound very smooth and hold their space well. There's no hard transient or stick sound, but it still sounds crisp.

Where drums multi - mic'ed in those days?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Which size cymbals are these? new [Re: ]
      #989864 - 27/05/12 03:13 PM
I've just been googling and he used the Paiste cymbals. The one used here were probably the thin 18" and 20".

I'm still interested in the sound production though. There's none of the sound that you get from the stick, just a clean crisp washy sound. Is this part of the technique or is it created by compression, or do the thin type cymbals just sound that way?

Thanks

Frank Rideau

#989878 - 27/05/12 04:32 PM
No specific advice to give on processing but if you are focusing on the cymbals, be careful not to make them too loud in the mix. I think that a good starting point for them to sound smooth and holding the proper space is to actually find the right balance (volume) and space (panning) in the mix, not that much more complicated.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Beat Poet

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
      #989916 - 27/05/12 10:07 PM
Quote Music Manic:

I'm still interested in the sound production though. There's none of the sound that you get from the stick, just a clean crisp washy sound. Is this part of the technique or is it created by compression, or do the thin type cymbals just sound that way?

Generally people say that Bonham battered the tubs and was gentle with the cymbals, I imagine that's where the washy sound comes from. Crashes on alot of old 60s and 70s records sound very "easy" to listen to, compared to today where they really do accent the changes.

--------------------
Do you need real drum tracks? http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk/

Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
      #989920 - 27/05/12 11:13 PM
I seem to remember, from Drummer mags of the period, that he used the acclaimed Paiste Formula 602 cymbals, which were popular with jazzers, especially the legendary Joe Morello (with the Dave Brubeck Quartet, here)

The 602s were sadly discontinued a few years ago, but could be had second hand from ebay for astronomical prices....so much so that Paiste actually re-introduced the range HERE

FWIW, Bonham was a very gifted player, so much of the sound would be in the technique rather than the cymbal per se....

Gone To Lunch

#989921 - 27/05/12 11:28 PM
Just checked with.....and they say he used Paiste 2002s...

mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #989941 - 28/05/12 08:06 AM
Quote Music Manic:

Hi guys!

Could someone tell me which cymbals these are? They come in around 1:50secs
Led Zeppelin - Bring it on home

I've heard the track on headphones and the cymbals sound very smooth and hold their space well. There's no hard transient or stick sound, but it still sounds crisp.

Where drums multi - mic'ed in those days?

Thanks

Glad you asked this question cos I've done a lot of research on Bonzo's sound, and find it to be just perfect in terms of tuning, cymbal and snare choice, miking etc!

On the track you mentioned he was probably using Paiste Giant Beat 18" and 20" crashes. The GBs were Paiste's precursor to their 2002 cymbals, which Bonzo switched to later. They were basically brighter versions of their Formula 602 set, made from B8 rather than B20 bronze so they cut through amplification better. However, by modern standards they're still quite mellow.

As for the hi hats on that track, I'm pretty sure Bonzo stuck with 602 hats (probably 15" sound edge) because GB hats are the only cymbal from the GB set that have disappointed drummers since they got reissued. As for the ride, I don't think the studio version of 'Bring It On Home' features a ride, but Bonzo tended to use the 24" GB ride or sometimes a 22" 602 ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm3zUQjG5no

In terms of miking, it probably would have been something minimal, Glyn Johns style:
(I realise this photo is a more a presentational shot e.g. the SDC is facing Bonzo rather than the kit, but it still gives some idea of the arrangements they were using when they recorded Led Zeppelin II on the road!) To my ears LZII, along with all the early albums, has a very compressed drum sound -- hence the 'bwooshy' sound of the cymbals. Sometimes they used beyer ribbon mics, and of course everything was recorded to tape, so all of this explains why the cymbals sound so nice and smooth...

Anyway, good luck!

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #989948 - 28/05/12 08:45 AM
That sound is technique - I'd create it by swiping the cymbal with the shoulder of the stick rather than hitting it directly.

You can always tell how good a drummer is by the smoothness of the crashes - beginners always seem to just whack the crash with no finesse.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Anonymous
Unregistered

#990025 - 28/05/12 02:12 PM
Thanks guys, great stuff!

Love it here!

Stef Andrews

Loc: Sussex, UK
Re: Which size cymbals are these? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #990117 - 28/05/12 10:42 PM
Mmmm, I always find this an interesting discussion - it always seems Bonham that people try to emulate. That said, I'm certainly not suggesting they shouldn't - easily one of the best ever. However I think it certainly matters more as to whom is hitting the drums and metalwork, as to *what* they're hitting IMO. Although, that goes for most drummers in most genres.

But if you haven't got the drumming style etc. down, the kit could be one of Bonzo's own from the 70's - you still won't sound like him.

--------------------
www.sda-audio.co.uk

Gone To Lunch

Re: Which size cymbals are these? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #990122 - 29/05/12 12:07 AM
Quote James Perrett:

That sound is technique - I'd create it by swiping the cymbal with the shoulder of the stick rather than hitting it directly.

You can always tell how good a drummer is by the smoothness of the crashes - beginners always seem to just whack the crash with no finesse.

James.

+1.

And while we're on the subject....listen carefully to Bonzo's cymbal work after the drums enter in 'Stairway to Heaven', esp they way he gently crashes the ride by using the shoulder (of course he could be riding on a crash, but the technique is the same)...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3218

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media