Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
MusicMadMax

DAV BG1 and Focusrite Saffire 6
      #993275 - 17/06/12 06:38 PM
Hi All,

First, please forgive me, there was a topic I found via Google from a few years ago asking a similar question but I couldn't find it to post in that thread... so sorry for that.

I'm going to get a Focusrite Saffire 6 audio interface and was recommended to buy a DAV BG1 pre-amp to go with it. However, there was an article on SOS which made the following two points:

Quote:

The output level is pretty high with intended peaks to +21dBu, so this is not the ideal preamp to match with semi-professional recorders. Operating at a lower output level, while obviously possible, is not recommended, as it will compromise the noise performance significantly. So, professional recorders and A-D converters only please!

Quote:

Don't even think about partnering this preamp with a domestic DAT or Minidisc recorder, or any semi-professional -10dBV recorder — even a lot of so-called professional equipment will struggle to deal with transient peaks which reach above +20dBu.

Unfortunately, I'm very new to this whole recording malarky and am somewhat baffled, especially when technical talk and numbers comes into it (probably another apology due in there somewhere).

Cutting a long story brief (I know you're all short on time), I would be very grateful to know whether the Saffire 6 will work at all well with the BG1 or if the latter will be limited horribly by the former.

The tech specs (which I'm struggling to interpret) for both are here:

Focusrite Saffire 6
DAV BG1

If anyone also happens to know, is the combination any good for miccing (sp.?) up an electric guitar amp with a cheapo combination of an SM56 and SM57?

Thanks so much people - very much appreciated. <3

Max

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Re: DAV BG1 and Focusrite Saffire 6 new [Re: MusicMadMax]
      #993276 - 17/06/12 06:48 PM
In your shoes, I wouldn't bother with the BG1 as it is an unnecessary complication. Get the Saffire first and the mic pres on that should last you until you need to change up to something better. Any benefit of using the BG1 will be compromised by putting it through those combi inputs as they will usually use the mic pre circuitry for gain which will colour things slightly.

The only time you might want more than just the Saffire is if you are using mics which require a lot of gain (expensive ribbons,etc).

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

twotoedsloth

#993283 - 17/06/12 07:44 PM
You might consider getting a Focusrite interface from the Scarlett line, as it appears that firewire is fading away.

I have a DAV BG1 and I have to say, it is dramatically better than the pres in my Yamaha O1V96, Scarlett 2i2, Mackie Onyx/VLZ3 and MOTU Traveler. It's no better or worse than my Benchmark, Audient Mico and Sound Devices USBPre2. Just different. I guess the point I am trying to make is that you won't ever regret purchasing the DAV BG1. It will be useful long after any audio interface will have to be retired, and if you do need to sell it, it is likely to retain its value.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #993286 - 17/06/12 07:56 PM
The DAV bg1 will be fine with the line inputs of your saffire, or any decent interface, and offers a useful improvement on the mic preamps of that interface... If you have the recording environment and sources to warrant it.

The issue is with semipro devices that expect nominal levels of -10dBV. It's still possible to make the DAV work in that situation, but you won't be getting the best from it which makes it a pointless investment in that situation.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Ariosto

#993446 - 18/06/12 04:36 PM
I don't know if this is relevant (probably not) but I've just got two Royer R-101 ribbon mics and I'm using the BG1 into a Tascam HD-P2 recorder and I'm getting very fine results. Although the recording level is low at about 2 or 3 on the Tascam gain knob, I'm using the DAV on nearly all of its input gain at around 3 O'clock or higher with no pad in use.

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #993449 - 18/06/12 05:08 PM
Hi Musicmadmax

you said you were very new to this recording malarky.....so I would really just stay with the focusrite for now

I dont know who recommended the dav to accompany the focusrite - salesman in the music store perhaps???

The Dav is a very 'pro' end pre-amp - designed to get the most out of great mic's and great rooms and accompany great converters etc etc
The focusrite is an able device that is simple...and a great device to learn recording on - when you get a great recording from the focusrite, you'll know you're doing the right things.

The DAV is excellent, don't get me wrong, but probably overkill for what you want right now - which is a simple, straight forward audio I/O device with serviceable mic pre's that will let you get on with actual recording, rather than gear set-up....which is why i recommend just the focusrite (you can always buy additional pre-amps later!)

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

MusicMadMax

#994499 - 24/06/12 02:54 PM
Thank you all for your replies, I do appreciate it.

Hugh mentioned the importance of the recording room. Sadly my recording space will be a bedroom with little opportunity for sound proofing, as I rent (perhaps there's another topic of discussion here). However, I was viewing the BG1 as an investment and felt that as my requirements progress, perhaps this would hold its own for a while.

Yes, the BG1 was recommended by a salesman, however he was kind enough to suggest he might lend one to me to try before buying. So hopefully I'd be able to make an informed choice (within the boundaries of my limited experience).

Maybe I'll spend any surplus money on a new guitar...

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #994540 - 24/06/12 09:47 PM
The DAV preamps are very good, but here's where I'd place it's importance when recording electric guitar (which I glean is your area of interest):

Musicianship
Experience at recording/ mixing
Guitar quality
Guitar amp quality
Mic selection and placement
Room acoustics (maybe this should be up one)
Preamp selection

So only when you've sorted the top six, would it be worth investing in better preamps.

From what you've said (and assuming you have a good guitar and amp) I'd be thinking microphones and room acoustics long before preamps. You could consider portable acoustic treatment.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #994560 - 25/06/12 06:49 AM
The only 'big' changes that I have made to my room are hooks for hanging things. If the worst comes to the worst, these can be taken out, holes filled and painted over. My room sounds pretty nice. Oh, and I have a couple of reflexion filters that take it to insanely dead sounding as well.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Ariosto

#994565 - 25/06/12 08:09 AM
If you close mic (say at about 1 foot or 1/3 metre) you will mostly lose the room sound, but then you may need to add some small amount of artificial reverb if the sound is too dry. (I sometimes add a little Pro-Tools plate reverb to just warm the sound up a bit, but not sure how well this would work on a guitar).

You would possibly benefit then with the DAV BG1 as you will get a clean signal into the recorder. (The DAV has excellent qualities).

MusicMadMax

#1010626 - 28/09/12 09:51 PM
I've got a DAV BG1 to test over the weekend with a Shure SM58, a Shure SM7B and my RME Fireface UC.

People say the BG1 is quiet but when I plug it in I get a load of noise - even when I turn the gain right down (near zero). I should mention that it happens more with the SM7B (dynamic mic) than the SM58. Have tried pushing the buttons and twiddling the knobs, but they all seem to do nothing (except occasionally make things worse).

Anyone able to offer me some advice on how to get the best out of it and the noise levels low?

Thanks,

Max

Persuazion

Loc: Scotland
      #1010636 - 28/09/12 11:06 PM
Something odd going on there. The buttons are just for low cut and polarity reversal so won't be doing anything dramatically audible. I'd say you should check connections and the gain on your interface. The BG1 should NOT be noisy. Particularly with a dynamic. Very strange.

--------------------
http://www.loverslanestudios.co.uk

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

Loc: The King's Height
Re: DAV BG1 and Focusrite Saffire 6 new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1011412 - 03/10/12 12:28 PM
Bob,
And don't forget the old chestnut:-

And a decent player playing well.

--------------------
Jack of all trades, master of some.

Scramble

Re: DAV BG1 and Focusrite Saffire 6 new [Re: BigAl]
      #1011429 - 03/10/12 01:05 PM
Quote BigAl:

Bob,
And don't forget the old chestnut:-

And a decent player playing well.

Isn't that already no. 1 on Bob's list?

Henry Olonga

Loc: South West England
Re: DAV BG1 and Focusrite Saffire 6 new [Re: Persuazion]
      #1012099 - 06/10/12 12:36 PM
Quote Persuazion:

The BG1 should NOT be noisy.

Yup. The BG1 may well be one of the best mic amps out there. Noisy it ain't! Or shouldn't be

--------------------
www.nebulapresets.com

_ Six _

#1012165 - 07/10/12 12:58 AM
This is a wind up.. innit

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6624

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media