Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kevbo

midi latency question
      #995889 - 03/07/12 08:56 AM
Hi, I do some lo-fi recording and I'm new to midi, so this is probably an extremely basic question. I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine and an Alesis Micron keyboard. I want to sync the arpeggiator on the keyboard to the drum muchine, so I have the midi out from the drum machine connected to the midi in on the keyboard. The arpeggiator is synced to the drum machine, but there is a definite and noticeable latency. Is there a way to get rid of this latency? Do I need to also have the midi out from the keyboard going back into the drum machine?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: midi latency question new [Re: Kevbo]
      #995894 - 03/07/12 09:32 AM
Some MIDI clocks are better than others I'm afraid. I presume that if the arpeggiator is working in sync with the drum machine, you have adjusted any settings on the Micron that allow for external syncronisation. Other than that, I don't think you will be able to improve the synchronisation other than looking at something with a better MIDI clock, such as an MPC.

This thread from the other place indicates that the SR16 isn't very good at keeping time.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #995895 - 03/07/12 09:39 AM
Hmm...so you have the Micron configured to take its MIDI clock from the SR16...? You might consider these...

Quote:

Once I have my tempo set, I like to record the drum machine's audio output into my audio software. There are a couple of reasons for this: First, I don't have to worry about sync problems happening down the road, second, sometimes slaving a drum machine to a sequence causes a very slight delay of a few milliseconds. This is especially true of older machines, and uncompensated MIDI interfaces.

If you record the machine, you can slide the drum tracks forward to eliminate this delay, and have the timing match your other tracks perfectly.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=184551

Quote:

Have you checked over at the Yahoo Ion/Micron group. I think I've seen threads about sync issues over there

Yahoo group

Kevbo

Re: midi latency question new [Re: BJG145]
      #995980 - 03/07/12 05:03 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. Bummer that I can't get them to sync up in real time. Looks like I'll have to "slide" the drum track over, which'll take some trial & error with my archaic setup, but it's do-able. I also joined that Yahoo Micron group, so I'll see if they have any recommendations. Thanks again for the responses, I really appreciate it.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #995985 - 03/07/12 05:27 PM
I expect Richie's right in that you won't be able to get these two behaving better on their own, though you might as well make sure you've updated to the latest Micron OS in case that does any good.

http://www.alesis.com/micron

If it's for recording purposes though, it should be possible to come up with some workaround. There's no excuses for an 'archaic setup' in the age of Reaper and cheap secondhand PCs.

(Maybe you could try slaving them both to the DAW's MIDI clock or something...)

nathanscribe

Loc: Yorkshire, by 'eck.
      #996016 - 03/07/12 08:54 PM
Is there a way you could determine whether the latency is caused by the SR-16 sending a 'late' clock, or by the Micron responding slowly? Those are different issues. Have you tried syncing the arpeggiator from a different MIDI clock, such as your PC?

--------------------
my nerdy synth tech blog

Kevbo

Re: midi latency question new [Re: BJG145]
      #996047 - 03/07/12 11:37 PM
Is Reaper really as good as they say? What are the downsides of it?

narcoman

#996076 - 04/07/12 09:14 AM
Quote Kevbo:

Is Reaper really as good as they say? What are the downsides of it?

None really. Missing a couple of things - but all DAWs miss some feature of another one. A very very good piece of software and absolutely worth looking at. The only thing I don't like about it is its "customability" and rather messy look. Minor quibble though...

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: midi latency question new [Re: narcoman]
      #996130 - 04/07/12 02:11 PM
I'm using Reaper full time as well now, largely because there seems to be very little it can't be persuaded to do, and for its efficiency compared to some other sequencers.

I do agree that the "customability" can be a double-edged sword though. Time after time I've Googled Reaper functions that don't do what I expect, only to find there's a simply tick box that needs changing to do this.

The problem is that although you invariably end up getting it to work perfectly the way you want it, other Reaper users get confused because yours operates 'differently' from theirs, and you can get confused when trying to work on Reaper in someone else's studio for the same reason

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
Re: midi latency question new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #996175 - 04/07/12 05:20 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

I'm using Reaper full time as well now, largely because there seems to be very little it can't be persuaded to do, and for its efficiency compared to some other sequencers.

I do agree that the "customability" can be a double-edged sword though. Time after time I've Googled Reaper functions that don't do what I expect, only to find there's a simply tick box that needs changing to do this.

The problem is that although you invariably end up getting it to work perfectly the way you want it, other Reaper users get confused because yours operates 'differently' from theirs, and you can get confused when trying to work on Reaper in someone else's studio for the same reason

Martin

But Reaper, being Reaper, has a solution for that too. Once you have it configured and running the way you like, you can put it on a USB stick and take your set-up with you.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3479

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media