Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
sabletones

Loc: uk
FYI 'quivering boom pole'
      #996486 - 06/07/12 10:59 AM
More an item of (maybe) interest than a question.

I set up QP6200 ambient jumbo pole on a heavy doughty stand...with many ballast bags of sand around base as well as counterweight on boom.

Sprung gym floor.

every time people walked the vibrations set up a resonance along the boom and it started gently wavering up and down at the tip....mics moving a good few centimetres in the vertical.

I cannot detect problems in audio recording (but these were lower school orchestras and they anyway wavered a bit!)

an interesting challenge as the issue is not horizontal or back and forth and stabilising with guy lines seems precluded.

There were no air movements beyond any thermals created by audience ??

I willed it to keep still but it did not.

we will try to experiment with different extensions and curvatures of the boom to see if issue can be minimised or exagerated and therefore understood

just a thought that someone may be interested!

cheers

steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jorge

Loc: New York, NY
Re: FYI 'quivering boom pole' new [Re: sabletones]
      #996636 - 07/07/12 04:10 PM
You may want to take some university courses in how to will more effectively without willing harder or longer.
Seriously, parameters that affect the resonant frequency of the floor/stand/boom/mic system include pole length, weight and stiffness; weights of mic and cable; and height and stiffness of stand. Playing with one or more of those may shift the resonant frequency enough that someone walking by at a normal pace won't set up a resonance in the system. Or put a thin tight guy line from the mic to the stand some distance from the boom so the tension will stabilize the boom and mic.
The sprung gym floor is a factor otherwise not present in most performance venues.

Wiseau

#996752 - 08/07/12 03:47 PM
This thread title - Biggest...innuendo...ever.

--------------------
'You know it's a bad role when Nic Cage passes on it.'

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #996767 - 08/07/12 06:04 PM
Tiny movements at base will inevitably produce larger movements at end of boom, and because there is negligible damping in the boom arm there's not much you can do about it. Placing the stand as close to the wall as possible to minimise floor movement is about all you can do. And fit windshields if air movement causes noise.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2506

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media