The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
GlynB

Loc: Lancashire, UK.
Using Facebook for music promotion?
      #1025421 - 21/12/12 11:50 AM
Any tips on how best to do it? Articles?

It seems that only a small minority of facebook contacts actually see anything you post, this came as a bit of a surprise as I assumed that everyone in the friends list got to see anything posted.

From what I subsequently read about it, Facebook changed the way it works a while back and now the only way to ensure all contacts see your posts is to pay for an ad...kerching!

Are folk more likely to see what you post if you post comments on their posts, or click 'Like' etc. is your stuff then more likely to turn up on their feed?

Another way is to put all contacts into a group, then it's possible to message the entire group, but adding people to groups tends to annoy them as anyone in the group can then spam everyone.

Finally, the advice for musicians seems to be to convert your personal site to a 'page'. Why is that? Once converted to a page it's no longer possible to add friends to it, you're waiting for them to come to you and add themselves, rather than being able to work proactively sending out friends requests?

Is Facebook really much cop for music promotion?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Scramble

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: GlynB]
      #1025427 - 21/12/12 12:20 PM
Facebook was okay until they recently changed the policy on how many people see your posts. Now everyone is waiting for the replacement for Facebook to come along.

GlynB

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: Scramble]
      #1025428 - 21/12/12 12:22 PM
Quote Scramble:

Facebook was okay until they recently changed the policy on how many people see your posts. Now everyone is waiting for the replacement for Facebook to come along.

Yes, doesn't seem much use for promotion if only about 8% of your contacts see anything you post.

--------------------

chris...

#1025433 - 21/12/12 12:43 PM
Quote GlynB:

It seems that only a small minority of facebook contacts actually see anything you post

There are settings to See All / Most / Important-only posts. For friends that I have set to "see all" posts, I'm fairly confident I do see all their posts.

Or is this wrong ?

Note that "see all" may not be the default.

For friends set as "most" or "only important", I have no idea what filter criteria is used. I can however always see all their posts by clicking on their name.

Quote:

Finally, the advice for musicians seems to be to convert your personal site to a 'page'. Why is that?

As I understand it, Pages are for bands etc, whereas normal profiles (ie. not pages) are for people.

I have a feeling there's a way to "recommend" a page to someone - tho' I'm not sure how right now.

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #1025434 - 21/12/12 12:56 PM
I think you need to "add page to interest list" now to see a liked page appear in your feed.

The "best" way, IMO, is to create a normal page (user page) for your band as band pages do not let you comment on other people's posts or indeed, anywhere outside your page. But then you don't get all the stats that a band page (or whatever it is called) lets you see.

If you do decide to create a "band page" then you can increase exposure to your posts by promoting them (ie paying FB to put your post in the feeds not just of followers, but their friends too).

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

redwood

#1025463 - 21/12/12 04:17 PM
My understanding is that there's something called 'Edgerank' that determines to what extent your posts appear in people's timelines. Facebook have made the formula public.

It's based on three factors:

Affinity:How much this user has interacted with you previously...so facebook will show your posts more often to people who based on previous experience like to interact with you (likes, comments, clicking on links etc.)

Weight: The amount of activity on a post. As more people like, comment or share your post, the more likely it will get shown to other people on their timeline.

Time Decay: The longer a post has existed (particularly without any interaction), the less likely it is to be shown to more people.

By considering these three factors, you can see what you need to achieve in order to get exposure on people's timeline. Post good content that will encourage people to interact with it (like, comment)...and do it once a day in order to build up an audience that will regularly interact with your posts...

chris...

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: redwood]
      #1025469 - 21/12/12 04:54 PM
Quote redwood:

My understanding is that there's something called 'Edgerank' that determines to what extent your posts appear in people's timelines. Facebook have made the formula public.

Interesting. Presumably this applies where someone has set something other than show "all posts" ?

Quote:

Post good content that will encourage people to interact with it

Sounds good.

Quote:

do it once a day in order to build up an audience that will regularly interact with your posts...

Hmm, those band etc pages I follow that post something inane every day just for the sake of it quickly get set to "important only", or hidden altogether. That said, you suggested posting good content - however I'm not sure how many have something really good to post every day.

Paul Nagle

Loc: Lancs
      #1025497 - 21/12/12 07:52 PM
I think it works reasonably well. Although I've set up band pages for various projects I invariably forget to put anything on them and just spam all my friends with albums or novels I'm trying to flog. If I don't spot any spikes in sales I usually spam them again until enough submit. There's probably lots of better ways though...

--------------------
http://www.bogusfocus.com/

DJW

Loc: W. Mids. England, Great Britai...
      #1025577 - 22/12/12 12:53 PM
Are you now saying that Facebook is no good when you said in another post that it was vital to have a Facebook page. I am still wondering whether to go back on Facebook.

--------------------
Duncan J. White

johnny h

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: DJW]
      #1025579 - 22/12/12 01:00 PM
Quote DJW:

Are you now saying that Facebook is no good when you said in another post that it was vital to have a Facebook page. I am still wondering whether to go back on Facebook.

Don't wonder about it. Get back on facebook immediately. Its got some issues but right now its by far the most important social network you need to be on.

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1026056 - 28/12/12 05:10 AM
Research some legit advertising agency's opinions. They will tell you that Facebook sucks as an advertising medium. It's well known.

Just one of the reason's why their stock is still lower than what it started at. There is no business there. Just people who have no jobs who update their status all day long. Those guys are NOT your customers.

Veeagra

Loc: Sweden
Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: DC-Choppah]
      #1026064 - 28/12/12 09:30 AM
I use facebook to promote my business and it's where I get most of my customers from. More importantly I get repeat customers from the people who like my page.

I recommend you try it, what have you got to lose?

Frog

#1026070 - 28/12/12 10:13 AM
For me the most important thing is to get your own website and then use places like Facebook, twitter etc to redirect people. That way you are not at the mercy of whatever the social network bods decide to do. And when the next big fb or whatever comes along you can just hook into that.

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: Frog]
      #1026075 - 28/12/12 11:21 AM
Quote Frog:

For me the most important thing is to get your own website and then use places like Facebook, twitter etc to redirect people. That way you are not at the mercy of whatever the social network bods decide to do. And when the next big fb or whatever comes along you can just hook into that.

+1

Exalted Wombat

#1026079 - 28/12/12 11:36 AM
Quote DJW:

You should be on Facebook and Twitter. Why not? But don't expect miracles from them.

DJW

Loc: W. Mids. England, Great Britai...
      #1026088 - 28/12/12 01:20 PM
Hello Johnny H.

I am on Twitter, Mixposure, Reverbnation, Myspace, LinkedIn, and my music is on numerous sites plus, I'm finding new places all the time. I don't think one site stands out from all the rest. IMO, it's best to have a bit of your music everywhere, but that's just my opinion.

I gave up Facebook ages ago as it does not work for me. As when I start collecting friends on it that are recommended to me, I got a warning that it is intrusive behavior.

As Facebook is a social media networking site, when I tried to build up a following for my record label, all I got was a warning saying that if I don't stop, I will be banned from the site or my account will be suspended. It's as if they encourage social networking but then the powers that be are saying no you can't do that and that. Surely it is up to the person receiving the invite to accept or decline a friendship NOT the website.

I find Myspace a lot friendlier. And you can contact them. I'm trying to get interest in my business, I'm NOT being a pest. That's why I'm not Facebook anymore.

Edited by DJW (28/12/12 01:29 PM)

johnny h

#1026153 - 28/12/12 10:18 PM
Quote DJW:

Hello Johnny H.

I am on Twitter, Mixposure, Reverbnation, Myspace, LinkedIn, and my music is on numerous sites plus, I'm finding new places all the time. I don't think one site stands out from all the rest. IMO, it's best to have a bit of your music everywhere, but that's just my opinion.

I gave up Facebook ages ago as it does not work for me. As when I start collecting friends on it that are recommended to me, I got a warning that it is intrusive behavior.

As Facebook is a social media networking site, when I tried to build up a following for my record label, all I got was a warning saying that if I don't stop, I will be banned from the site or my account will be suspended. It's as if they encourage social networking but then the powers that be are saying no you can't do that and that. Surely it is up to the person receiving the invite to accept or decline a friendship NOT the website.

I find Myspace a lot friendlier. And you can contact them. I'm trying to get interest in my business, I'm NOT being a pest. That's why I'm not Facebook anymore.

Yeah you weren't using it correctly. Use Facebook pages to promote your record label.

R_A

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1026156 - 28/12/12 10:39 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

Quote Frog:

+1

+2

--------------------
Ambient / Classical Composer

Beat Poet

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: johnny h]
      #1026179 - 29/12/12 12:36 AM
Quote johnny h:

Yeah you weren't using it correctly. Use Facebook pages to promote your record label.

True, though it is easier to add people than to get them to "like" you.

--------------------
Do you need real drum tracks? http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk/

johnny h

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: Beat Poet]
      #1026186 - 29/12/12 01:43 AM
Quote Beat Poet:

Quote johnny h:

True, though it is easier to add people than to get them to "like" you.

Yes, which is why they told you to stop doing it. If you are doing something people are interested in, people will like your page.

DC-Choppah

#1026188 - 29/12/12 03:42 AM
Quote GlynB:

From what I subsequently read about it, Facebook changed the way it works a while back and now the only way to ensure all contacts see your posts is to pay for an ad...kerching!

They are trying to become profitable by making money from advertising. Advertising is those little ads along the side, not your own Facebook page. Those ads are what the legit ad folks say don't work.

Sure, folks get business through their FB page, but that is the same as having your own web page. Just send people there instead.

The business model of Facebook is that the user IS the commodity being traded. Collected raw data on what specific people like is the thing of value being collected and ultimately sold for FBs profit. And their marketing is to say that you just have to be on there. You HAVE to have a FB page because everybody needs one! Regardless of how much time you spend keeping it going. Then, all those clicks get stored and sold. You and your FB friends are the commodity. You are donating your time for someone else's profit. Not to mention all your personal information.

johnny h

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: DC-Choppah]
      #1026272 - 29/12/12 07:19 PM
Quote DC-Choppah:

Quote GlynB:

They are trying to become profitable by making money from advertising. Advertising is those little ads along the side, not your own Facebook page. Those ads are what the legit ad folks say don't work.

Sure, folks get business through their FB page, but that is the same as having your own web page. Just send people there instead.

The business model of Facebook is that the user IS the commodity being traded. Collected raw data on what specific people like is the thing of value being collected and ultimately sold for FBs profit. And their marketing is to say that you just have to be on there. You HAVE to have a FB page because everybody needs one! Regardless of how much time you spend keeping it going. Then, all those clicks get stored and sold. You and your FB friends are the commodity. You are donating your time for someone else's profit. Not to mention all your personal information.

No, that's a very simplistic view of the whole thing. FB provide a service which people like to use. You don't have to use it, like you don't have to use myspace or friendster or any other social networking site. FB will make money out of people using their service and it appears many people accept giving away private information for the usage they get out of the site.

For private use, I perfectly understand choosing not to use FB at all. For music promotion it has recently become something of a necessity.

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1026289 - 29/12/12 08:48 PM
Facebook is one tool in the arsenal, but isn't the be-all and end-all.

I run this: Zee Captain and this: Music Of Captain as part of a larger project I'm involved in.

Pages are definitely the most legitimate way to get fans and keep them interested. You'll run foul of Facebook's banhammer if you try to spam people the same way with a personal profile.

Before you begin, build up a stock of pictures of the band, promo pics, live pics, photos of the album, people wearing your tshirts, whatever. Then think of questions you can ask that are relevant to your audience ("are you going to X festival?", "what's your favourite track?", "have you got any pictures of you or your friends in band apparel... post them on our page!!")

Begin to post pictures and questions, often together, regularly and consistently. Start by posting one or two things a day. When you build up a proper following and have loads to talk about, you can approach the coveted 3-hour cycle.

Keep it high-quality and family-friendly, relevant to your intended audience, and respond to people who post on your wall. Add videos, soundcloud embeds and announcements, etc. when you feel comfortable.

Make events for your gigs/album launch/etc. and post the event on your wall. Share it with your friends from your private account too, and get your fans to do the same. Simple, concise instructions like "share our X venue gig and bring your friends along!" work best.

HTH

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

GlynB

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: redwood]
      #1026451 - 31/12/12 01:24 PM
Quote redwood:

It's based on three factors:

Affinity:How much this user has interacted with you previously...so facebook will show your posts more often to people who based on previous experience like to interact with you (likes, comments, clicking on links etc.)

Weight: The amount of activity on a post. As more people like, comment or share your post, the more likely it will get shown to other people on their timeline.

Time Decay: The longer a post has existed (particularly without any interaction), the less likely it is to be shown to more people.

By considering these three factors, you can see what you need to achieve in order to get exposure on people's timeline. Post good content that will encourage people to interact with it (like, comment)...and do it once a day in order to build up an audience that will regularly interact with your posts...

Thanks, interesting.

Bit like a Facebook party isn't it, the one who keeps circulating, who is loud and full of tales, jokes and anecdotes attracts the crowd around him, the shy guy stands in the corner with his drink waiting for someone to talk to him...

--------------------

Scramble

#1026454 - 31/12/12 01:42 PM
>Bit like a Facebook party isn't it, the one who keeps circulating, who is loud and full of tales, jokes and anecdotes attracts the crowd around him, the shy guy stands in the corner with his drink waiting for someone to talk to him

True, except that Facebook is also sometimes like a party full of boors who think they're that guy, but really they're just full of hot air and everyone soon gets sick of them and wants them to stop talking about themselves so much. (Twitter is especially that way).

Sometimes a party full of people who don't all talk all the time but who make great comments when they do is better.

Bazza

Loc: County Durham
Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: Frog]
      #1026763 - 02/01/13 05:36 PM
Quote Frog:

Absolutely no question. A blog is also a good option!

--------------------
This time next week, who'll give a sh*t
http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk

DC-Choppah

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: johnny h]
      #1026794 - 03/01/13 01:45 AM
Quote johnny h:

FB will make money out of people using their service and it appears many people accept giving away private information for the usage they get out of the site.

I don't think most folks know that their info on Facebook is being sold. So the exchange of value never happens. In the US companies do not have to disclose to whom or for what they sell their data collected on the internet and there is no way to globally 'Opt Out'. This comes as a shock to many.

If you want the same bunch of guys to come to your gigs, then FB is fine. But if you want to reach new people, get your music on the local radio stations. That's the way we used to pack em in. And according to Neilson, it still is the best (http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/press-room/2012/music-discovery-still-dominated-by- radio--says-nielsen-music-360.html) And no, internet radio doesn't count. You need something with more than 5 listeners.

Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
      #1028467 - 14/01/13 04:06 AM
if you have a personal page made but you use it as a music page every friend sees your posts unless theyve unsubscribed from you, if you make a promotional page though, you can like, comment, search or anything. you just have to wait for people to come to you. make a professional one, and advertise it through your personal one. thats the only way. if you want randoms who you dotn know to see the add then you need to pay.

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Skerrick

#1028469 - 14/01/13 05:39 AM
^ should say:
*if you make a promotional page though, you CANT like, comment, search or anything.

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1028501 - 14/01/13 10:31 AM
Quote Skerrick:

if you have a personal page made but you use it as a music page every friend sees your posts

Not for a long time, if it was ever so. Article here from last year where Facebook state its more like 12% of your friends see each post... done for the exact reason we see in this thread.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/29/facebook-post-reach-16-friends/

The would be no point in them selling views if everyone saw it anyway.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

GlynB

Re: Using Facebook for music promotion? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1028518 - 14/01/13 12:05 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Quote Skerrick:

if you have a personal page made but you use it as a music page every friend sees your posts

Not for a long time, if it was ever so. Article here from last year where Facebook state its more like 12% of your friends see each post... done for the exact reason we see in this thread.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/29/facebook-post-reach-16-frie...

The would be no point in them selling views if everyone saw it anyway.

As far as I've been able to determine, the only 'free' way of getting a message over to all your Facebook Friends seems to be to create a group and add everyone to it. Not surprisingly, some people object to being added to random groups, so you risk p*ssing them off in the process and doing more harm than good.

That said, Facebook is not totally useless for music promo, even if a random 12% of connections see what you post, providing its regular content, you're still keeping 'in touch' with them on an ad hoc basis.

--------------------

Skerrick

#1028841 - 16/01/13 01:56 AM
yeah and it wont be the same 12% of your friends everytime either, its almost certainly gonna be a different bunch of people, it also depends what time of day you post etc. and im pretty sure with a personal page all your friends can see your posts if they visit your page anyway so even if youre generating a bit of a buzz it cant hurt to have your links up.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6199

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media