The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
hola!claude

Other Minimumnoise like sites ?
      #1034888 - 23/02/13 07:09 PM
Hi,
I recently discovered minimum noise site:
http://www.minimumnoise.com/Projects.aspx
MinimumNoise

I like very much the direct interaction between game developers and composers,
BUT unfortunately the site seems to be down from a long time...

Do you know other sites similar to this ?

Thank you very much!

P.S.I'm talking about any media music:films,videogames,TVs,etc.
the important thing is the direct interaction between the buyer and the composer.

Edited by hola!claude (23/02/13 08:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
blue manga

Re: Other Minimumnoise like sites ? new [Re: hola!claude]
      #1034899 - 23/02/13 08:10 PM
Never heard of it ... from the front page :

"“I had 34 high quality themes to choose from. Highly recommended”
- Kes Thygesen of Inova"

- so that's 34 musicians all pitching for free for a no doubt lousy paid job..
which no doubt the job creator is not even under any obligation to use even one if they decide not too.

Very musician friendly

hola!claude

Re: Other Minimumnoise like sites ? new [Re: blue manga]
      #1034901 - 23/02/13 08:15 PM
bluemanga,
you are right,may you steer me toward more composer friendly sites?

thank you

blue manga

Re: Other Minimumnoise like sites ? new [Re: hola!claude]
      #1034949 - 24/02/13 11:12 AM
I doubt there is any one website which will give you direct one on one with music commissioners..
I can't really see the sense in looking for an open website solution..
- because if it were (hypothetically) any good / had potential to earn you any kind of reliable income - then a million composers would be swarming all over it - and it would be back to being pointless.

You need your own contacts and your own relationships.

This takes time, hard work, good work, successful networking and relationship building.

All these sites - which try to do what you've linked to here - in general, are just a waste of time.
- further it's sickening to see 100's of composers all writing in this lottery style - for a 'job' with no guarantee (not even any guarantee that the job will even happen) and then grovelling for communication or recognition from the so called 'job' creators..

"Oohh here's the 5th version of this track, as you can hear - I've added an extra piano note in the middle & I've made it a bit louder" "The session musicians are all on hand to do adaptions, if you would like" "I decided to start again, I think this version will fit much better with your film" "Could I lick the stuff off between your toes please ? Would that please you ?"

- all for a few hundred dollars - which may or may not be 'awarded' to anyone..

Madness.

Before this sort of site was rife - this was just known as 'free pitching' - and at least within the industry there was some kind of commitment, somewhere - but it was still madness..

If u want to get ahead as a composer, be prepared to put a lot of time and energy in - be great - be fantastic - be the best at what you do - and get with a good publisher.

Edited by blue manga (24/02/13 11:17 AM)

hola!claude

#1034956 - 24/02/13 12:08 PM
Quote blue manga:

"Oohh here's the 5th version of this track, as you can hear - I've added an extra piano note in the middle & I've made it a bit louder" "The session musicians are all on hand to do adaptions, if you would like" "I decided to start again, I think this version will fit much better with your film" "Could I lick the stuff off between your toes please ? Would that please you ?"

- all for a few hundred dollars - which may or may not be 'awarded' to anyone..

Madness.

Ha ha ha,oh my god,you are very right,
however just look at the level of those composers,it's very low for the 99%,

What do you think about sound libraries ?
What are the most reliable ?

(I know I'm opening a can of worms)

Thank you for your advise

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #1035035 - 24/02/13 10:20 PM
Quote blue manga:

If u want to get ahead as a composer, be prepared to put a lot of time and energy in - be great - be fantastic - be the best at what you do

^^ That, Manga Boi.

Same in ANY discipline - gotta be the best you can be and then strive to be better, put the hours/days/months/years in. There's a reason why classical musos put in eight or more hours of practice every day. Even the lowliest back desk violinist has to be at the top of the game.

And 'networking' only works so far - you can hob nob with the best of them but if you can't deliver the goods, learn to say "Do you want fries with that?" ... unless there are any other 'special services' you might be able to offer (in a horizontal kind of way if you get my meaning) or have incriminating photos.

Sorry - that's the reality. There's no easy route or instant website into all this - you have to be damned good at what you do. Bottom line and it's bloody hard work.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1588

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media