The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
SwingKing

Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook
      #1040902 - 02/04/13 01:10 PM
I don't like Facebook. I never liked it when I had a personal page and, since closing that down, I've never felt the need to go back to it.

However, since going self-employed and embracing all aspects of online marketing, I've had to accept that having a Facebook page could be of some benefit to me. So, I've opened up a Facebook business page and have invited a hatful of new problems, none of which have been solved by contacting Facebook (they don't return my emails) or by looking online for a solution. I find that I cannot upload videos or music to the site - the videos remain in "uploading" state for hours until I accept the inevitable and cancel the upload (the videos conform to not being longer than 20 minutes and being less than 1GB in size) and there seems to be no option to upload music files. Also, there is no "search" function anywhere; I can't find anyone or look for anyone and I'd be surprised if anyone can find me.

I've deactivated the page and tried again from scratch but I'm still having the same issues.

I'm sure that the problem must be with me but, when I'm following the steps to the letter and still not getting anywhere I have to wonder.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Soundseed

Loc: Glasgow
Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: SwingKing]
      #1040930 - 02/04/13 03:48 PM
Host your video and audio elsewhere (youtube, vimeo, soundcloud, bandcamp etc), and then post as links in your news feed - that works fine, and seems to be what most folks do.

OneWorld

#1040941 - 02/04/13 06:13 PM
Quote SwingKing:

I don't like Facebook. I never liked it when I had a personal page and, since closing that down, I've never felt the need to go back to it.

However, since going self-employed and embracing all aspects of online marketing, I've had to accept that having a Facebook page could be of some benefit to me. So, I've opened up a Facebook business page and have invited a hatful of new problems, none of which have been solved by contacting Facebook (they don't return my emails) or by looking online for a solution. I find that I cannot upload videos or music to the site - the videos remain in "uploading" state for hours until I accept the inevitable and cancel the upload (the videos conform to not being longer than 20 minutes and being less than 1GB in size) and there seems to be no option to upload music files. Also, there is no "search" function anywhere; I can't find anyone or look for anyone and I'd be surprised if anyone can find me.

I've deactivated the page and tried again from scratch but I'm still having the same issues.

I'm sure that the problem must be with me but, when I'm following the steps to the letter and still not getting anywhere I have to wonder.

I am totally at one with you there - the insidious nature of FB. There are even some sites now that insist you log in with a FB account - he, Suckerberg or whatever he is called must have some very influential friends. I just could not get the FB phenomenon, there were lots of FB equivalents long before FB came into existence, doing exactly the same thing, yet within a very short time, FB was being mentioned day in, day out on BBC, appearing in large headline grabbing articles in the printed media, even prime time television coverage - how did FB get all this exposure when it did nothing that other sites were not doing already. Same old business model I suppose - "it's not what you know"

blue manga

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: Soundseed]
      #1040960 - 02/04/13 08:51 PM
Quote Soundseed:

Host your video and audio elsewhere (youtube, vimeo, soundcloud, bandcamp etc), and then post as links in your news feed - that works fine, and seems to be what most folks do.

Absolutely. I trust Google no more than FB, but I would never upload important intellectual property to FB, anyway.
(and I'm not *mad keen on upping too much personal stuff either, tbh)

Link from elsewhere like soundcloud or boobtube or vimeo etc

However, yes - in many cases, if you are serious about online marketing - an FB page is one of the de facto ones to cover..
Like em or not, the potential reach is huge - and a lot of cross pollination goes on there..

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1040964 - 02/04/13 09:04 PM
Quote OneWorld:

I am totally at one with you there - the insidious nature of FB. There are even some sites now that insist you log in with a FB account - he, Suckerberg or whatever he is called must have some very influential friends. I just could not get the FB phenomenon, there were lots of FB equivalents long before FB came into existence, doing exactly the same thing, yet within a very short time, FB was being mentioned day in, day out on BBC, appearing in large headline grabbing articles in the printed media, even prime time television coverage - how did FB get all this exposure when it did nothing that other sites were not doing already. Same old business model I suppose - "it's not what you know"

The same can be said for many things ... good marketing, good word of mouth, 'zeitgeist' and all that. I don't think Zuckerberg started FB off with insidious intentions ... just a little forum for chatting with college friends ... it just kind of developed over time as more and more people signed up (and money earning potential reared its ugly head).

I don't like it either and got out - I found it did nothing for my business and found it a place for wibble and nonsense...

"Oh dear - woke up this morning and discovered my dog has diarrhoea". Firstly, who cares ... every sympathy but really - who cares? And why publish that to the world? I find it bizarre...

"Took the kids to Alton Towers today - see the photos on my wall". Terrific, hope you had a nice time but I couldn't give a rat's arse.

Being an old fogey, I am somewhat disturbed at the ways some of my daughter's contemporaries use Facebook. Or rather, I WAS ... she bowed out as well owing to the sheer inanity of it (no pressure from me, honestly - she has to make her own way, make her own decisions).

I think a lot of companies get onto Facebook because they feel they have to because everyone else is. Just my thoughts - maybe others do horrendously well out of it and I didn't know how to play it but personally, announcing some new release there and getting 4 'likes' is, frankly, embarrassing. Put it this way, I noticed not one iota of difference when I pulled out of FB and Twatter, not a jot - nothing. And pulling out gave me more time to concentrate on products rather than scrolling through peoples' posts about their arguments with the gas board, their neighbour's cat soiling their garden or their inane opinions on some nonsense in a newspaper.

And that's another thing I don't understand with all this social notworking - when I was there, I knew people there, friends outside FB and Twatter, who seemed to spend all day posting and replying when they, errmmm, should have been working and doing the job they are being paid for. If I employed them, I'd be well miffed!

And the other thing about Facebook is that even if you pull out, close your account and 'resign', they still have all your details. Not that I am paranoid (your details are known whenever you use your mobile or credit card these days ... or even walk down the road with all the CCTV) but a year or so after resigning, I still get notifications that someone who followed me has posted something - just visit to re-instate your account. Bugger off!

And there's another thing... 'followers' or 'friends' ...

I had a good few hundred and knew hardly any of them. I had Vanessa Paradis (Johhny Depp's ex-mrs) as a 'friend'. Why FFS?

I just think it's arse. YMMV!

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

molecular

Loc: north a bit, west a bit
Re: Setting Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: SwingKing]
      #1040969 - 02/04/13 09:21 PM
Quote SwingKing:

I find that I cannot upload videos or music to the site - the videos remain in "uploading" state for hours until I accept the inevitable and cancel the upload (the videos conform to not being longer than 20 minutes and being less than 1GB in size) and there seems to be no option to upload music files.

Just to add a voice to the above - nobody does that... videos to vimeo or youtube, music to soundcloud. Facebook is a place to tell people about content, not to store it. But it generally puts out what you put into it in terms of effort. If you just have a page and leave it there, the way you would a static website, then it's been a wasted excercise. If you spend a little time going looking for people and companies and interacting with them then you can get a lot of attention.

Quote SwingKing:

Also, there is no "search" function anywhere; I can't find anyone or look for anyone and I'd be surprised if anyone can find me.

There is a white box at the centre at the top that says "search for people, places, things..."

Isn't there?

Quote SwingKing:

My dad has a conceptual wall between himself and facebook, although he does alright with it (he's a promoter). What I repeatedly try and drum home to him is that it responds just like real life does - if you behave on facebook as you normally would then it all works a treat. If you think there is some dark mystery to it all, then it will seem as though there is a dark mystery to it all...

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
      #1040972 - 02/04/13 09:58 PM
I share OPs concerns as I am in the same boat.....

I have now decided to go with GoDaddy, and am currently learning how to drive their site builder. I have been a programmer, so I can get round it ok. It works well enough and does what it says on the tin. I have had occasion to phone tech support three or so times, and each time they were well up to scratch.

I will probably set up a FB page, just because I am scared not to, but I won't put any music on it because of their small print, just a link to my GoDaddy site

SwingKing

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: Gone To Lunch]
      #1040974 - 02/04/13 10:40 PM
Thanks all, some very entertaining posts here

I, too, couldn't give a cat's whiskers if someone on Facebook loves their kids or is waiting for the washing machine repair man to show up. That's why I've foregone the route of setting up a personal page in favour of something more professional. I'll see if uploading a link to the videos on YouTube works as opposed to trying to upload the video wholesale.

And no, there's no little white box inviting me to search for anyone or anything. Infuriating.

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1040990 - 03/04/13 07:16 AM
If you are in business, be that as a sole trader, or with employees and all that goes with a larger structure, you need a website. Not some idiotic Moonfruit or similar nonsense, but your own dot-com and/or dot-co-dot-uk. If you want videos on that site, put videos on that site. Most service providers will give you at least a gigabyte and that is far more than you will ever need, even with videos.

If you don't know how to build a site (it ain't rocket science!) buying a site from a professional can cost as little as £200.

If you feel the need to bolt on to your site some sort of social media, such as a Facebook page, or a Twitter page, well, do that - but I have yet to see any kind of business benefit to that. Ever! There is a good business case to be made for having your own forum, if you have enough trade and virtual foot-fall to fill it. Nothing is so pointless (tumble-weed is bad for business) as a forum with no visitors posting anything!

If someone tells me that they are in business, then I ask for their website. If they have no website, or they only have some Facebook, Myspace, Moonfruit page, then I know that they are not in business. This also applies to bands, composers and the like.

If you are a musician and you want people to book you, you must have a website with a SHORT video of you playing live. Anything less shows that you are just not serious.

blue manga

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1040994 - 03/04/13 07:38 AM
Quote The Red Bladder:

If you feel the need to bolt on to your site some sort of social media, such as a Facebook page, or a Twitter page, well, do that - but I have yet to see any kind of business benefit to that. Ever!

- and you know this because you use facebook a lot ?

Particularly with respect to creative services (music, art, design, advertising .. .. ) a strong and well executed social presence, can be very valuable.
Yes measured in money.

It can also be a distraction and can waste many hours.

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: blue manga]
      #1041004 - 03/04/13 08:29 AM
I am involved in a business that uses FB and Twitter a great deal and they even have a person whose job it is to service those two platforms. BUT that is after the sale has taken place and is an alternative method of communicating to telephone and/or email. It aids the relationship with the customer, but the first contact is strictly web-based and POS is via telephone and email.

blue manga

#1041006 - 03/04/13 08:36 AM
Well.. all very proper and good..

But often selling creative services is al about generating buzz.. And social media is very important for that.

Your own webspace is important - but a website just sitting there - doesn;t generate buzz..
Where as an integrated social strategy does.. youtube, twitter, fb, soundcloud, etc

It *can really help a creative enterprise lift off... IF done in the right way.. and with a bit of luck and connections / network, in your favour, as well..

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1041032 - 03/04/13 12:07 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

If you are in business, be that as a sole trader, or with employees and all that goes with a larger structure, you need a website. Not some idiotic Moonfruit or similar nonsense, but your own dot-com and/or dot-co-dot-uk.

Agreed.

I am astonished at the number of people I advise on website trading who downright refuse to invest in not only a proper website (or learn to create their own) but won't pay to buy their own domain name (yeah - coz £10 for three years is something they can't afford? ), won't pay for a reliable ISP that offers 24/7 hosting with generous storage and bandwidth, resent paying a small percentage of sales to an on-line reseller who will take care of all transactions (or pay someone to roll their own automated sales process), won't pay a few dollars a month for a mailing list service, etc.. They just set up some mickey mouse Wordpress, whatever, thing and expect it to just 'happen' and wonder why it doesn't!

Quote The Red Bladder:

If you want videos on that site, put videos on that site. Most service providers will give you at least a gigabyte and that is far more than you will ever need, even with videos.

Well... true if you pay to have a professional ISP with good bandwidth but these $1.25 a year ISPs offering (ahem) 'unlimited bandwidth' probably couldn't handle more than five plays of a video before they cap your bandwidth. Always read the small print. 'Unlimited bandwidth' with most of these cheap, cowboy providers means 'under normal circumstances' - i.e. a few family photos and maybe a two minute low-res birthday party video or two seen by a handful of friends, NOT hundreds/thousands or more people viewing several decent res vids, listening to audio demos, day in, day out, etc.... unless you pay for a pro ISP. 'Proper' websites are paying maybe $hundreds every month, not $1.50 a year.

Quote The Red Bladder:

If you don't know how to build a site (it ain't rocket science!) buying a site from a professional can cost as little as £200.

Yup.

It isn't difficult to learn how to build your own website to your exact requirement with your 'brand image' and there are WYSIWYG apps like Dreamweaver to assist ... but people won't even invest in that - a few £hundred.

Paying someone to do it is a good alternative if you're wary but you also need to know how to update it yourself else you're forever paying someone to add a new product announcement, press release, whatever. Best just to bite the bullet and learn how to do it yourself.

Quote The Red Bladder:

If you feel the need to bolt on to your site some sort of social media, such as a Facebook page, or a Twitter page, well, do that - but I have yet to see any kind of business benefit to that. Ever!

My experience as well.

I have a friend I've helped get started and he's all over Arsebook and Twatter like a cheap suit. Bugger all. In fact, he's a good example...

Won't pay for a pro ISP so uses some blogging web thing, won't pay for a pro re-seller so has a clunky 'sales prevention' on-line payment process that's unreliable, won't pay for a mailing list service ... thinks it all should be free/cheap. Result = low sales and complaining customers who have tried to buy but have had problems. And Arsebook and Twatter have made NO difference at all other than a few 'likes'. Big deal. No sales though.

Had he taken my advice (like others have) and spent just $50 a month on doing it at least semi-properly, he could be getting people in and that $50 would have been more than paid for with just a few sales - the rest = profit.

Quote The Red Bladder:

There is a good business case to be made for having your own forum, if you have enough trade and virtual foot-fall to fill it. Nothing is so pointless (tumble-weed is bad for business) as a forum with no visitors posting anything!

Yup. A dead forum is business suicide. Of course, the forum could be quiet because everyone's happy (people only tend to post to the interwebs to moan and complain) but it just doesn't look good to have no visitors.

On the other hand, a busy forum can also be counter-productive if all there are are complaints.

Quote The Red Bladder:

If someone tells me that they are in business, then I ask for their website. If they have no website, or they only have some Facebook, Myspace, Moonfruit page, then I know that they are not in business. This also applies to bands, composers and the like.

Yup

Quote The Red Bladder:

If you are a musician and you want people to book you, you must have a website with a SHORT video of you playing live. Anything less shows that you are just not serious.

Agreed ... and/or audio demos, etc.. Bands should have a regularly updated site showing new releases, new vids/audio demos, upcoming gigs/events, recent activity, etc.. Composers much the same - showreel, latest commissions. Etc..

The trouble is that (like any business) there are a lot of cowboy ISPs offering substandard 'services' for next to nothing to free... which very appealing but the old adage is as true today as it ever was - if looks too good to be true, it is. Plus the other old adage - you have to speculate to accumulate... you cannot expect to run/expand a business for free, you just can't - you have to invest in it and put in the hours if you want it to work. And it can be bloody hard work.

Is my experience anyway. YMMV.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1041081 - 03/04/13 03:04 PM
Quote OneWorld:

Whoah... it's not quite that devious. Yes, a number of sites sprung up around the same time and honestly Facebook outside of the English speaking world comes distinct second or third in some markets. What they did have was a core market to pitch at and an air of exclusivity.

At launch you had no adverts and free accounts ONLY for uni students. It was hip, trendy blah, blah, blah whatever but he reached out to his target market and sold it. After a year of being closed access they were watching the uptake slow down (in reality they used a bunch of school kids to beta the service) they ramped it up and rolled it out to everyone else. Of course the hype and the fact that the general launch was flawless (hey, your in beta for a year or so... so it should be) propelled it over the other shoddy, slow, ad strewn sits.

The whole sign in via FB sprung up from sites that wanted to expidite the sign up process without making you fill out your life details. Some people like this method and some don't (I hate it) but FB simply made it available and watched the uptake happen. End of the day for FB its an absolute winner in terms of locking in their market postion.

Quote Gone To Lunch:

I have now decided to go with GoDaddy, and am currently learning how to drive their site builder.

Uptimes great, service and speeds are good and the pricing is dirt cheap compared with some of the UK packages and yet you have the reassurance of Godaddy being one of the USA majors. I've been with them for years now with but one complaint... that site builder and management backend is gawd aweful. I did log in a month or two back and see some improvemnts so perhaps I'm overstating that in its current revision, but from the get go I just set all my details into an ftp client and ignored all the creation features with the webspace, instead just using Dreamweaver.

Quote SwingKing:

And no, there's no little white box inviting me to search for anyone or anything. Infuriating.

It's certainly there on mine too...

Quote The Red Bladder:

If you are in business, be that as a sole trader, or with employees and all that goes with a larger structure, you need a website. Not some idiotic Moonfruit or similar nonsense, but your own dot-com and/or dot-co-dot-uk. If you want videos on that site, put videos on that site. Most service providers will give you at least a gigabyte and that is far more than you will ever need, even with videos.

I like this advice. A cheap site will come across as cheap and these days storage in quids a month plus a domain is a tenner.

Yes Twitter and FB has its place and can be handy for certain promotions as well as keeping your fanbase updated but it isn't the be all and end all or nor should it be your focus in regards to leaving a first impression.

People do expect to be able to find you in all the normal social networking place and as someone (HS I think) else mentioned the after sales you can do via these channels can be a boon for not only ensuring your clients are happy, but to show the world that your proactive and some someone they should be dealing with. It however certainly isn't the place you want to be sending promotors or agents to check out your content as you can't really control your image to the level that a well presented site with great content can.

Quote hollowsun:

I am astonished at the number of people I advise on website trading who downright refuse to invest in not only a proper website (or learn to create their own) but won't pay to buy their own domain name (yeah - coz £10 for three years is something they can't afford? ), won't pay for a reliable ISP that offers 24/7 hosting with generous storage and bandwidth, resent paying a small percentage of sales to an on-line reseller who will take care of all transactions (or pay someone to roll their own automated sales process), won't pay a few dollars a month for a mailing list service, etc.. They just set up some mickey mouse Wordpress, whatever, thing and expect it to just 'happen' and wonder why it doesn't!

The truely infuriating thing is that the are certainly some huge major players out there that do offer budget packages that offer the level of features that is needed AND offer great uptime and availability. Of course it doesn't matter how great your site if, if the record label exec can't hit it when they want to check out your latest promo, but sites that have 99.7% uptime rates can be had for a doller a month more than the chaff.

I suppose people don't even consider things like that when buying their first package but I'm the information is out there in Google if they'd just take a look. Too me it almost seems like someone buying a car not bothering to check out the engine size/capacity/MPG when making their choices.

Quote hollowsun:

It isn't difficult to learn how to build your own website to your exact requirement with your 'brand image' and there are WYSIWYG apps like Dreamweaver to assist ... but people won't even invest in that - a few £hundred.

Exactly, you seen the newer client Adobe Muse? Makes Dreamweaver look like brain surgery with how easy it is.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

SwingKing

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: hollowsun]
      #1041085 - 03/04/13 03:15 PM
I've had my own website for over a year now. I paid for a two year deal with Word Press. Recent problems with uploading, though, have made me realise that I'd be better off getting someone who is IT literate to manage it for me (I tried Word Press's help forum but the answers I was getting back seemed to presume that I was a computer programmer, not a simple artist).

It seems an obvious thing to say but I'll say it anyway, if you have a website and don't keep updating it and don't use social media to alert the world and his dog of your site's existence, then you're just wasting your money. That said, I still find the best way to get work is by phoning potential customers or paying them a visit in person - the personal and direct touch, as old fashioned as it may be, is still the best. It works for me.

Just an update on my Facebook woes, I opted for the update-link-to-video approach last night and it worked. On spending more time looking into why I can't search for friends, though, it seems that my page has to get a certain amount of "likes" before I can search for friends. I can't think of a single rational reason for this but thems the rules, apparently.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1041222 - 04/04/13 09:01 AM
Quote SwingKing:

On spending more time looking into why I can't search for friends, though, it seems that my page has to get a certain amount of "likes" before I can search for friends. I can't think of a single rational reason for this but thems the rules, apparently.

That's why you need a personal page with a few friends - it will get you started and will have the search function straight away.

While I was dubious at first, I find it useful to have a FB account but I use it in the knowledge that anything I put up could be made public - no matter what privacy settings I use. They're always changing privacy settings and often make everything public by default after these changes.

I just don't get Twitter though...

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

petev3.1

#1041275 - 04/04/13 11:58 AM
Some very good advice here. It suprises me that there are not more freelance media managers/promoters out there offering to maintain campaigns and exploit all these internet avenues for bands and small labels. Or maybe I'm just not coming across them. Seems like the perfect cottage industry.

SwingKing

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1041285 - 04/04/13 12:42 PM
Thanks, James. I did wonder whether I should have made a personal page first but when I deactivated my business page I tried to do this but FB didn't give me the option - or maybe it did but I couldn't see how to do it.

Oh well, Twitter did come in handy in this instance as I asked someone on there to 'like' my FB page and they've done that. So now I have one 'like'. 4999 to go!

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1041323 - 04/04/13 02:02 PM
Quote James Perrett:

I just don't get Twitter though...

Your really not the only one. I find it more productive for business to grab a megaphone and get on the roof.

Quote petev3.1:

It suprises me that there are not more freelance media managers/promoters out there offering to maintain campaigns and exploit all these internet avenues for bands and small labels. Or maybe I'm just not coming across them. Seems like the perfect cottage industry.

Pretty sure they exist, as I'm sure I've heard them talked about before. I suppose smaller acts who could do with them can't afford them and the sort of manufactured bands who have the money behind them to shove it down your throat already has an in house team at the label to sort it out.

You could always have a chat with a more general SEO firm but then I suspect you'd get a far better result with less strings attached (and blood required) out of playing your fiddle at a certain crossroads...

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

petev3.1

#1041357 - 04/04/13 03:51 PM
Yeah. I wasn't thinking so much about whether it would work for the artist. But I would have thought it would attract some business from artists, and it might even work occasionally. This may be one job where a freelancer working from home actually makes more sense than a team of anonymous staff who are dealing with fifty clients a day and do it the same way for all of them.

johnny h

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: petev3.1]
      #1041367 - 04/04/13 05:01 PM
Quote petev3.1:

Some very good advice here. It suprises me that there are not more freelance media managers/promoters out there offering to maintain campaigns and exploit all these internet avenues for bands and small labels. Or maybe I'm just not coming across them. Seems like the perfect cottage industry.

There are people out there, but its largely a waste of time. The thing about a facebook page is its just a base for what you are. Nobody will come there because you have a nice page. If nice things are happening (such as great reviews for you releases or shows) it helps if people are talking about you, and once they click 'like' they will get updated with news of gigs, releases etc. If you don't keep people's interest then they will unlike you, but if you post stuff that is interesting it can be liked and reshared, and that gets other people interested in you.

Content is what its about. Facebook just allows you to keep people's interest and spread the word amongst friends of you existing fans. And that's why its superior to a .com website. Its preferable to have both.

petev3.1

#1041369 - 04/04/13 05:15 PM
True enough. I was thinking about the internet as a whole.

SwingKing

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: petev3.1]
      #1041415 - 04/04/13 09:26 PM
So, having created a business page before a personal page have I put the proverbial cart before the horse? Is there any way I can now create a personal page because that seems to be the only way, in realistic terms, that I'm going to be able to draw attention to my business page. Having looked at the online help I really can't see any way to set up a personal page.

johnny h

#1041421 - 04/04/13 10:35 PM
Quote SwingKing:

So, having created a business page before a personal page have I put the proverbial cart before the horse? Is there any way I can now create a personal page because that seems to be the only way, in realistic terms, that I'm going to be able to draw attention to my business page. Having looked at the online help I really can't see any way to set up a personal page.

No, nobody will come to your page unless there is reason for this. You could try setting up a personal page and try spamming everyone, but you will (quite rightly) be banned for doing so.

A facebook page / web site doesn't create fans, it gives fans something to go back to so they can check out your music, gigs or videos. If you don't have anyone going there in the first place its largely pointless.

What isn't pointless? Record releases, good reviews, promotion. That will get you facebook likes.

SwingKing

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: johnny h]
      #1041425 - 04/04/13 11:33 PM
Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. I mustn't have because your answer in no way addresses what I said.

I've set up a business page. I now want to set up a personal page, too. This will allow me to send out friend requests and thus draw attention to my business page (something which is perfectly legit according to Facebook). However, there doesn't seem to be any way to create a personal page after creating a business page.

So does anyone know how to do this? Where am I going wrong here?

DoItAgain

#1041482 - 05/04/13 10:11 AM
Surely you can just log out, go to the FB login page and register a new account with a different email address?

Lots of people have both a business and personal account so I don't understand why you're having trouble unless something's changed in FB recently.

SwingKing

Re: Sett ing Up A Business Account On Facebook new [Re: DoItAgain]
      #1041494 - 05/04/13 11:11 AM
Yeah, I thought that would work as well but on doing that it just tells me I'm already registered. Very frustrating.

DoItAgain

#1041499 - 05/04/13 11:31 AM
Maybe try from another computer?

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1041985 - 08/04/13 10:12 AM
Quote SwingKing:

Yeah, I thought that would work as well but on doing that it just tells me I'm already registered. Very frustrating.

Use a second e-mail address. You can allocate a business page to be managed by any given user account once its established, but I'm not sure if you can sign up for a personal page after setting up a business account using the same given address (I suspect for reasons of page security).

In fact set up a throw away address and use it to sign up to ALL of the social networks you want to make use of. That way you won't have a pile of notifcation junk being spammed to your main inbox.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1042008 - 08/04/13 11:56 AM
Quote SwingKing:

You don't want a personal page - you just need a personal account which you already appear to have. Just start using your account in a small way to get going. The word page means something very specific on Facebook.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

OneWorld

#1042077 - 08/04/13 03:28 PM
If setting up a new account and it will want an email as an ID I fing Microsoft's new Outlook.com really handy. literally takes a few mins to set up, I even registered some email addresses just in case, mymusic@outlook.com etc, someone already snatched music@ no surprises there then

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6268

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media