The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mr. S

A PRS Royalties Question
      #1053077 - 18/06/13 09:37 AM
Hello.

I am wondering if you chaps may know whether it is possible to have a percentage of one's royalties 'deflected' into someone else's account?

i.e. Track is composed by Bob Smith - where Bob is the sole credited writer. However...

Royalties at each and every distribution automatically go to Bob Smith (25%) and John Jones (25%). John Jones is a ghost or silent partner as it were. How might one go about achieving this?

I want John to have a cut but I don't want anyone knowing about it.

I did raise the issue with a couple of PRS people but they didn't quite get it.

Many thanks.

Bob Smith.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
jrbcm

Re: A PRS Royalties Question new [Re: Mr. S]
      #1053085 - 18/06/13 10:14 AM
Just use a pseudonym.

John can request one from his account online. He'll get a new CAE number (account, effectively) which links back to his main one and pays him in the usual way where he's registered for a track.

Mr. S

Re: A PRS Royalties Question new [Re: jrbcm]
      #1053145 - 18/06/13 04:22 PM
Cheers for the suggestion!

Thing is, it has to say just one composer as the credit - bob smith and he will be listed as the sole composer on PRS database

But I want 50 % of money paid to bob to be diverted to John. If poss!

Or I wonder if it is possible for two writers to share one pseudonym. Whereby Bob and John both become, for example, Fred Taylor - and then everything for Fred is paid equally to Bob and John.

Sounds a tricky one tho.

Cheers,

Bob.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1053158 - 18/06/13 06:38 PM
Quote Mr. S:

Cheers for the suggestion!

Thing is, it has to say just one composer as the credit - bob smith and he will be listed as the sole composer on PRS database

But I want 50 % of money paid to bob to be diverted to John. If poss!

Or I wonder if it is possible for two writers to share one pseudonym. Whereby Bob and John both become, for example, Fred Taylor - and then everything for Fred is paid equally to Bob and John.

Sounds a tricky one tho.

Cheers,

Bob.

PRS will give you the percentages option when you register the track.

Mr. S

Re: A PRS Royalties Question new [Re: ]
      #1053196 - 19/06/13 08:49 AM
Cheers mate but the track is registered by the publisher. I don't want the publisher to know anything other than the track was composed by Bob Smith.

My apologies, I don't think I am explaining this very well. It's a tricky one and may explain why PRS didn't understand what I was on about!

Ta anyway

KeithAC1

Loc: Milton Keynes
      #1053199 - 19/06/13 09:13 AM
I've been with them for over a decade, as far as I know you can't ask them to send money to someone who is not due said monies on their system. You'll have to send a cheque!

This however means that when you declare your income to HMRC, you'll be paying all of the tax due, not half and half with the silent partner... If you see what I mean.

In essence if you decide to give someone money, it's going to have nothing to do with PRS.

blue manga

#1053227 - 19/06/13 11:37 AM
yeh if it's registered by the pub... then I guess... u just have to wait for the amount of income the track has given you - to be detailed on your PRS statement... and then your friend or John or Dave or Jerry or whatever his name is - has to invoice you.. for 'services' or 'mixing' or whatver...

I don't think there is anything illegal abou this.. it could be a pre determined agreement between you two parties.. and that is that ? - I mean it *may contravene PRS rules.. not too sure..

Don't think so though, because PRS have paid you as the writer - then it is your money - and you can pay that to whoever for whatever ?

I.... guess....

mat6066

Loc: Nottingham
      #1053228 - 19/06/13 11:37 AM
It's probably best to enter into an agreement with John where he invoices you directly for the half of his royalties after you've been paid full share. He is 'invisible' to the publishers and you aren't liable for his tax on his share of the royalties as you can offset his claim against your tax.

In fact I think that's the only way forward.....

Mr. S

Re: A PRS Royalties Question new [Re: blue manga]
      #1053232 - 19/06/13 11:51 AM
Quote blue manga:

yeh if it's registered by the pub... then I guess... u just have to wait for the amount of income the track has given you - to be detailed on your PRS statement... and then your friend or John or Dave or Jerry or whatever his name is - has to invoice you.. for 'services' or 'mixing' or whatver...

I don't think there is anything illegal abou this.. it could be a pre determined agreement between you two parties.. and that is that ? - I mean it *may contravene PRS rules.. not too sure..

Don't think so though, because PRS have paid you as the writer - then it is your money - and you can pay that to whoever for whatever ?

I.... guess....

Yeah that's an option mate. And have in fact done it before but it's a real hassle. But may be the only way. Much easier for them just to give half of a specified album to John as well as Bob tho.

One of the things about ringing them and explaining this is they think you are trying to fiddle something or do something underhand. Which of course I'm not. But, for example, a company might just like working with Bob and be quite adamant that they don't want Bob to collab cos they love Bob and just want him to themselves. However, Bob realizes he can't do a particular project without collaborating with John, cos John is brilliant in the required genre and could help Bob do an even better project.

Then some form of PRS manoeuvre would ensure happy days for all concerned. And the company who love Bob but not Bob's friends are nun the wiser but will be even more delighted to have received a better product than Bob could have done on his tod.

If only life were simple eh?

Cheers.

Bob Smith

blue manga

#1053235 - 19/06/13 12:03 PM
Yes, I see the plans within plans, and the names behind names

Indeed, I had well presumed that inter-publisher politics was the problem..

Obviously both Bob and John do need to have implicit trust levels between each other..

Mr. S

Re: A PRS Royalties Question new [Re: blue manga]
      #1053238 - 19/06/13 12:14 PM
Quote blue manga:

Yes, I see the plans within plans, and the names behind names

Indeed, I had well presumed that inter-publisher politics was the problem..

Obviously both Bob and John do need to have implicit trust levels between each other..

Well of course, there is an unwritten code of conduct within the sphere in which I operate.

(However, I am not sure what is it as I have never seen it written down).

But yes, politics are an increasingly troublesome issue nowadays and one has to tread carefully!

Which reminds me...

Do you remember when the PRS database went wrong and you could (for a short time) see all pseudonyms linked to a composer? How amusing that was! haha how I laughed at that one.

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
Re: A PRS Royalties Question new [Re: KeithAC1]
      #1053249 - 19/06/13 01:15 PM
Quote KeithAC1:

I've been with them for over a decade, as far as I know you can't ask them to send money to someone who is not due said monies on their system. You'll have to send a cheque!

This however means that when you declare your income to HMRC, you'll be paying all of the tax due, not half and half with the silent partner... If you see what I mean.

In essence if you decide to give someone money, it's going to have nothing to do with PRS.

The correct answer! /awards gold star/

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1702

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media