The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
wolf2

Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies
      #1072955 - 03/11/13 05:34 AM
"Pact is the UK trade association representing and promoting the commercial interests of independent feature film, television, digital, children's and animation media companies"

Pact has just started promoting the free usage for six months of stock music by a Swedish buyout company aptly named Epidemic. http://www.epidemicsound.com/

"Producers can enjoy free music for their productions starting today (Thursday, 26 September)"

http://www.pact.co.uk/about-us/news/landmark-music-deal-for-producers-goes -live/

On the one hand Pact is very concerned about protecting the IP rights of their members who all currently use music that is copyright protected. On the other hand they will happily screw over the rights of music writers by promoting the free usage of a music buyout company. The standard rate for a track sold by a musician to Epidemic is £94 - for all rights no royalty is then payable.The music that I've heard so far is not high quality (https://soundcloud.com/epidemic-sound) nevertheless it's being promoted for use by PACT. Epidemic claim that royalties are somehow inconvenient for musicians and it's much better to be paid upfront

"We buy music directly from composers when tracks are created, rather than making the artists wait and rely on collection societies to send royalty checks at an unknown, totally unpredictable time." http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/63610-start-me-up-a-profile-of-epidemic-so und-curing-music-license-madness

" Pact points out that a digital copyright exchange could become the thin end of a wedge to collective licensing, which in turn might end up forcing producers to sell their IP rights on a non-commercial basis.

John McVay told The Times: “This Government came into power with very warm words on copyright protection, but those warm words haven’t translated into anything substantial.”
- See more at: http://www.pact.co.uk/about-us/news/ip-focus-in-commons-report

I wonder what the media writers on this forum think.Personally I would hope that PRS would call out PACT on their blatent hypocrisy. If they want their rights protected surely they shouldn't promote enterprises which devalue and undermine the rights of fellow creators.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
jrbcm

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: wolf2]
      #1072970 - 03/11/13 11:16 AM
Thanks for pointing this out Wolf2.

Pact should be ashamed of themselves for having anything to do with Epidemic Sound. So should broadcasters like Channel 5.

This is a blatant land grab at the very bottom of the library music ecosystem. And the big losers are the composers.

Just to clarify, Epidemic pay one small fee to composers and then, the composer never sees ANY further sync fees, mechanical fees or Performance royalties (like PRS). And the only 'composers' able to do this are NON-PRS memebers, as this all operates ouside of that system. So presumably newbies or just the misinformed, or wannabes who can't get in to proper music libraries. Apart from Epidemic, the end beneficiaries are cheapskate TV station owners like Richard Desmond/Channel 5.

It's a truly exploitative and revolting business model designed to make a fast buck for all involved (apart from the composers), and only achievable through extreme exploitation and total disregard for the concept of quality. No doubt all involved have their exit strategy nicely planned already, and contrary to their overblown claims of revolutionising the production music world, they are damaging and disrespecting it.

Thankfully, those who use Epidemic will find out pretty quickly that you get exactly what you pay for.

blue manga

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: wolf2]
      #1072988 - 03/11/13 12:17 PM
I thought Channel5 had now stopped using Epidemic and were now back to royalty free libraries (in the sense of non-MCPS)

The Epidemic model has long term legal issues.

1stly it is likely that some composers are selling their tracks to them when they actually are members of a PRO

2ndly - imagine this scenario :

A young composer.. puts their first foot on the ladder by selling a piece of music to Epidemic sound
- a year or two later - the composer writes some great tracks - which get air play / broadcast time.
- so this composer joins a PRO - who then (as I understand it ?) - have the legal right to collect on ALL works of that composer.

Epidemic can claim to own the works on a 'work for hire' basis - but as I understand it - 'work for hire' has no legal grounding in EU copyright law.

So, without even looking at quality - I suspect - there is lots of shaky legal ground with models like the Epidemic model.

Edited by blue manga (03/11/13 12:18 PM)

jrbcm

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: blue manga]
      #1072999 - 03/11/13 01:39 PM
Yep, looks really dodgy for those exact reasons. Not surprisingly, they are pretty cagey about the fine details on their website and it looks like you need to email them to find out more.

jrbcm

#1073012 - 03/11/13 02:12 PM
I would suggest emailing PACT if anyone here feels stronly about this:

john@pact.co.uk

(John McVay, Chief Executive of PACT)

wolf2

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: jrbcm]
      #1073023 - 03/11/13 04:19 PM
Thanks Blue Manga and JRBCM

There are some very important issues of provenance and legality that I hadn't considered -hopefully this will make the big Pact members hesitate in using material that might draw their overseas clients into unpleasant wrangles.

Mr McVay is the person who is giving credibility to Epidemic by endorsing it through Pact. This is the same person who is styling himself as the champion of creative IP to the Commons committees while pushing low quality music that has been stripped of all rights to his members. Here is his twitter account https://twitter.com/pactchief so his followers (and presumably members) can know of this hypocritical stance too.Let them know we will be watching to see who uses this stuff and be pushing PRS to examine the legal consequences for their members and clients.

Edited by wolf2 (03/11/13 04:29 PM)

blue manga

#1073024 - 03/11/13 04:36 PM
PACT proudly supports stripping musicians of their IP in tweet form

Edited by blue manga (03/11/13 04:38 PM)

wolf2

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: blue manga]
      #1073026 - 03/11/13 04:57 PM
Ok Chaps here's my first salvo to PACT

https://twitter.com/StevenWolf20

Edited by wolf2 (03/11/13 05:40 PM)

blue manga

#1073031 - 03/11/13 05:37 PM
Doesn't look like he uses his Twtr much.. might b worth @ing @PactUK also..

But I'm sure they're not interested in actually protecting artists rights.. only in membership fees !!!!

Edited by blue manga (03/11/13 05:39 PM)

wolf2

#1073055 - 03/11/13 09:12 PM
Quote blue manga:

Doesn't look like he uses his Twtr much.. might b worth @ing @PactUK also..

But I'm sure they're not interested in actually protecting artists rights.. only in membership fees !!!!

You may be right, however Mr McVay does claim to represent the IP rights of the UK creative industries.He gave evidence to the parliamentary select committee on creative IP last year. His endorsement of a foreign royalty free music company is counter to the spirit of supporting UK copyright holders and industry and everything he gave in evidence to MPs last year but it also gives them unearned credibility because of the nature of his position.

Compare these statements:
John McVay, Chief Executive at Pact, said:

"I'm very pleased that we have secured this special no-strings-attached offer for our members. Music can be an expensive part of the production process and the offer from Pact and Epidemic Sound could be a major saving. Epidemic is offering for free its library of more 25,000 pieces of production music."
- See more at: http://www.pact.co.uk/about-us/news/landmark-music-deal-for-producers-goes -live/#sthash.7RLPdhYw.dpuf

The following are direct quotes from Mr McVey that he gave as a witness and head of PACT to the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee on "Supporting the Creative economy" on 20th November 2012 and I will be asking PRS to challenge PACT on this

Q170 Tracey Crouch: What would you say are your main priorities at the moment within Pact?
John McVay: Our main priorities are—we have so many sometimes, but I would say copyright.
….
Q171 Tracey Crouch: I saw you shaking your head. John McVay: Clearly as an international sector growing into new markets and as there are markets that sometimes don’t respect copyright as much as we do in the UK, that is a key issue for us.

Q177 Mr Sanders: To what do you attribute the near doubling of independent television sector revenues since 2005?
John McVay: The Communications Act allowed us to own our copyright and our intellectual property. As soon as you give people back the things that they created they tend to want to go and do something with it
….

Q180 John MC Vay"Another one would be to give absolute clarity to the copyright regime in the UK. To remove any uncertainty, to be clear that copyright is the property right and that if you want people to invest in companies you have to give clarity and security to the owners and investors in the copyright and the IP, that is at the heart of the business" ...
The fact is that most people come to the UK because we have one of the best copyright regimes in the world, that is why people invest here, that is why people like creating intellectual property here.

This is just a small sample of a long line of non-stop hypocrisy. How can you champion one groups rights at the expense of anothers? I'm hoping for hard action from PRS but I'll wait and see.We need to challenge this devaluing and asset stripping of our IP or it's all over and then when the asset strippers come for the IP represented by PACT I hope they won't be too surprised when they get no support from the musical rights societies.

blue manga

#1073059 - 03/11/13 09:32 PM
Wow. That is some fantastic journalistic work there Mr Wolf2 ! (If that really *is your name ;-) )
- and of course, you are absolutely right.

wolf2

#1073062 - 03/11/13 09:59 PM
Thank you Mr Manga -well spotted. Unfortunately, as demonstrated by Mr McVay and PACT and as you're no doubt aware you have to be careful who you trust. I'm hoping to provoke a fair debate but this was the only way I could think of to draw it to PRS members attentions.I hope they'll have the balls to take this guy on.

wolf2

#1073113 - 04/11/13 09:05 AM
To Keep the spotlight focused on Mr McVay of Pact's decision to try and promote copyright free music - Writing in The Guardian in September 2011 Mr McVay stated on copyright :

"As much as we'd all love to have everything for free, this is frankly a juvenile view of the world. It refuses to engage in the complex issues that have to be properly understood to ensure that we can enjoy all of the benefits of the digital future and the products of our world beating creative industries."

Do you think the government should still be giving this guy a tax break for the members of PACT when he's determined to collude with stripping out the IP rights of musicians?

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190267/c reative_sector_tax_reliefs_response111212.pdf

Edited by wolf2 (04/11/13 09:07 AM)

blue manga

#1073121 - 04/11/13 10:12 AM
Amazing Mr Wolf... where is the Guardian article ?

Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
      #1073122 - 04/11/13 10:15 AM
Quote wolf2:

To Keep the spotlight focused on Mr McVay of Pact's decision to try and promote copyright free music - Writing in The Guardian in September 2011 Mr McVay stated on copyright :

"As much as we'd all love to have everything for free, this is frankly a juvenile view of the world. It refuses to engage in the complex issues that have to be properly understood to ensure that we can enjoy all of the benefits of the digital future and the products of our world beating creative industries."

Do you think the government should still be giving this guy a tax break for the members of PACT when he's determined to collude with stripping out the IP rights of musicians?

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190267/c reative_sector_tax_reliefs_response111212.pdf

Presumably composers and writers need to make the case to government that music creation is an equally worthy net contributor to UK plc ? Via BASCA, MU, BMR etc ?

wolf2

#1073123 - 04/11/13 10:15 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/sep/19/digital-economy-act-prot ection-criminalisation

last paragraph

wolf2

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: Gone To Lunch]
      #1073136 - 04/11/13 10:46 AM
Quote Gone To Lunch:

Presumably composers and writers need to make the case to government that music creation is an equally worthy net contributor to UK plc ? Via BASCA, MU, BMR etc ?

Yes and Robert.ashcroft@prsformusic.com (CEO of PRS)

Maybe the real pressure could come from the MPs on the sub committee that Mr McVAy testified to on copyright last year and back his members tax cut.

Q212
John McVay: " I would say digital technology has made it cost effective to produce. I would never argue to drive to the bottom on production and things like that"

john.whittingdale.mp@parliament.uk
ben.bradshaw.mp@parliament.uk
angie.bray.mp@parliament.uk
conor.burns.mp@parliament.uk
tracey.crouch.mp@parliament.uk
daviesp@parliament.uk
paul.farrelly.mp@parliament.uk
john.leech.mp@parliament.uk
steve.rotheram.mp@parliament.uk
sheridanj@parliament.uk
sutcliffeg@parliament.uk

wolf2

#1073284 - 05/11/13 01:37 PM
"Pact chief executive John McVay said: “Even if it helps producers save 3% of their costs they’d be daft not to consider the free offer.”

This is in a Broadcast magazine article on the royalty free model for tv music proposed by Epidemic. The concept of stripping musicians of all rights for a pittance is being endosed by the CEO of the society that represents all independant tv producers and the main uk tv industry magazine. There is nobody challenging the lies this company is spreading. They say music is too complicated for braodcasters to licence so it'd be much better for all concerned (i.e. the tv companies and Epidemic - who incidently are tv producers too) if they just did away with musicians rights forever in return for a very small sum.

If you are a PRS member or an aspiring musician this is an immediate threat to your rights and career.

Say something now write to PRS. Comment on the magazine puff piece articles where Epidemic are allowed to spread lies about the system being broken because musicians inconveniently hold rights to their music.

Go on the Epidemic website click on where it says press at the right hand corner and click through to the press links. Please go on those sites and where possible put a comment. If we don't fight for them the tv companies will be only too delighted to strip us of our rights for a pittance.Once they're gone they're gone none is going to be paying for your rights in the future.

http://www.epidemicsound.com/

Robert.ashcroft@prsformusic.com

Salty Dog

#1073289 - 05/11/13 02:13 PM
Good work Wolf.

There is some sort of BASCA library music seminar/discussion tomorrow. Perhaps someone could raise this issue? Unfortunately I will be unable to attend.

Phil O

Loc: Scotland
Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: Salty Dog]
      #1073295 - 05/11/13 03:17 PM
Interestingly, there's a substantial number of unallocated performance royalties for Epidemic sitting in suspense @PRS, some of which are substantial. Had the rights to these works been retained by the writers, I assume they would've received these.

wolf2

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: Salty Dog]
      #1073296 - 05/11/13 03:18 PM
Thanks Salt
I've been told that it's on the agenda for a BASCA board meeting next month. In the meantime all musicians should challenge this and make everyone aware that this business model stinks. If it's allowed to flourish then it's game over for making a living from tv usage for musicians all to reward some greedy Swedish tv producers and the head of PACT who'd happily see us all on the dole if he can squeeze an extra 3% off his budget.

Please go online, e-mail, Facebook whatever- show that you'll fight these vested interests otherwise they'll think they can take your copyright for a pittance.

wolf2

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: Phil O]
      #1073319 - 05/11/13 06:36 PM
Quote Phil O:

Interestingly, there's a substantial number of unallocated performance royalties for Epidemic sitting in suspense @PRS, some of which are substantial. Had the rights to these works been retained by the writers, I assume they would've received these.

Thanks Phil. I'll pass that information on to Chris Smith at PCAM with your permission. Epidemic are trying to sell this idea of £95 for a track and then all rights stripped as some kind of great deal for musicians -this all helps to point out the lies.

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: Phil O]
      #1073412 - 06/11/13 02:09 PM
Come on dude, if PRS didn't hang on to unallocted royalties, they'd go bankrupt tomorrow (probably)

Those Spotify micropayments won't distribute themselves, you know!
#salamislicing.

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

wolf2

#1074199 - 12/11/13 03:43 PM
Ok This is some research I've done into the effect that Epidemic's model of amateur ip free production music has had on professional Swedish musicians for the past two years. It's kicked up a [ ****** ] storm in the press. If you're a professional UK PRS writer this will be damaging unless it's challenged here.

KEY FACTS
1 Epidemic's model uses exclusively amateur musicians. Membership of performing rights organisations such as STIM is forbidden.

2 The Epidemic writers are almost 100% sourced from Sweden the rest from the USA - none from the UK (they were recruiting in the Logic forums and specified Swedish and US musicians only) http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=279511

3 The rise of Epidemic has been massively controversial in Sweden. Music forum pages on the subject run to 20 pages .It has made the news on the Swedish equivalent of the BBC, almost universal condemnation from professional writers and the Swedish equivalents of BASCA,MU and PRS. Even many tv directors are against Epidemic. The only ones in favour are Epidemic writers and the tv production companies.The arguments got so heated Epidemic was forced to release a press release to justify themselves in March 2013 to try and answer it's critics http://epidemicsoundinfo.wordpress.com (The press release is only in Swedish - but google translate works well). Every one of their points has subsequently been challenged by the Swedish music professionals.

4 As a direct result of Epidemic TV4 only sources 4 minutes of every hour from non-Epidemic music sources.

5 Epidemic are accused by the Swedes of price dumping and many musicians believe this uncontrolled model that bypasses the collective bargaining bodies is the same as crowd sourcing and there is nothing now to stop the market going the same way as the design and computer programming markets where all production music gets sourced from amateur or third world markets at sweat shop rates.

6 There has been no alternative view put forward or sought in the press no. Broadcast magazine, Wire have simply printed the Epidemic view that it's great for tv producers without questioning the impact or seeking the alternative views of the music industry PRS BASCA etc.
"Pact chief executive John McVay (speaking about the Pact/Epidemic offer) said: “Even if it helps producers save 3% of their costs they’d be daft not to consider the free offer.” (Broadcast magazine September 2013)

7 There has been no debate until now about the provenance and impact of tho–s amateur IP free model on the Uk market.
Pact programme makers are right now being encouraged to to supply programmes to the BBC and Channel 4 using
amateur Swedish/American IP free material rather than professional British PRS musicans.

Details

The use of Epidemic's amateur music is hugely controversial in Sweden and made the equivalent off the BBC national news appearing in the public broadcast equivalent of the BBC SVT.
This deal has turned out to be hugely damaging for professional Swedish composers.
"Agreements disadvantage composers
Cheap music company Epidemic Sound has become a cheaper competitor to music agency Stim regard background music on television. Now TV4 rules for how much Stim music that may be used per hour and it can have consequences for composers."

http://www.svt.se/kultur/musik/tv-bolagens-avtal-missgynnar-...
(translated using google translate from the Swedish)

The Epidemic model has been operating in Sweden for the past two years and received widespread condemnation not just from the professional musicians organisations like CHAIR ,SKAP and SAMI but also tv directors who have been forced to use Epidemic. One of the main tv channels in Sweden, TV4 has as a result of Epidemic's royalty free model changed its policy so that now only 4 minutes of every hour of broadcast music are allowed to be sourced outside of Epidemic's amateur catalogue.

Henry Schyffert, a Swedish tv director talked in an interview in www.gradvall.se about the negative impact of being forced to use Epidemic production music on Swedish tv,

“As a director I am deprived of a tool," . "For TV shows, I can choose an actor, photographer, lighting designer, set designer, fonts. But now I am deprived of the possibility of unrestricted choice of music, one of the most effective tools available to you. "
he goes on to say,
“The biggest loser, has become the viewers. The risk of uniformity is obvious. It is the music and sound that create depth in our flat screen TVs.”
http://www.gradvall.se/artiklar.asp?entry_id=960

Stefan Lagrell the CEO of SAMI (the Swedish Artists and Musicians Interests organisation) which has over 30000 connected musicians and artists had this criticism to make of Epidemic and its use by SVT a Swedish Public service broadcaster ,
“Personally I dislike Epidemic Sounds business idea which is to purchase the rights for shamefully low pay. I also think that SVT as public service broadcasters have a great responsibility to set a good example in the market and make sure that cultural workers receive decent remuneration for the exploitation ”

http://sami.se/aktuellt/arkiv/skriv-inte-bort-dina-raettighe...

Alfons Karabuda (chairman of SKAP (Swedish composers and lyricists), chairman of ECSA the European composer and songwriter alliance and expert on issues of freedom of speech and copyright for the UN Human Rights Council said,
“When a commercial company for a lump sum takes over authors' rights to their music for all time that is not a sustainable development of a well -functioning market and fair competition. The copyright should be close to the individual music creator - not that of a commercial company .It is this that has caused concern in the music creating community. It's the anxiety that manifests itself in the criticism and the questioning Epidemic Sound been subject to.”
http://contentisking.squarespace.com/start/month/mars-2013

In musikindustin.se Karabuda takes the public broadcast equivalent of the BBC (SVT) to task for sourcing most of it's IP free music from Epidemic,

"SVT's stance is both morally strange and possibly quite at odds with the public service remit. Diversity is not achieved by controlling the procurement of a vendor. Diversity is achieved by freedom of choice, something that producers and directors in recent days vociferously pointed out in the media and social media. You do not want to participate in the downward spiral short term profit thinking provides. They want to build, not round off the edges.
What are the next steps? Photographers? Or reuse of American scripts without bothering to obtain permission ..?"
http://www.musikindustrin.se/2013/02/28/debatt-alfons-karabu...

Musician forums in Sweden have raged with the arguments against Epidemic this one runs to over 20 pages
http://forum.studio.se/index.php/topic/82465-vill-du-hora-di...

The Swedish equivalent of PRS (STIM) has expressed deep concerns over the pressure to undermine musician rights being brought to bear by tv companies as a result of Epidemic waiving their rights

"The association however, we think that it is unfortunate if musicians are exposed to great pressure from their clients to waive their rights. An example is precisely composers who write music for television producers who have contracts with major television companies, where companies require a certain amount of music to be redeemed. It goes without saying that the choices for these composers will be limited, if they want to keep their mission, says Karin Jihde (STIM)"

http://www.journalisten.se/nyheter/kritik-mot-tv-kanalers-av...

Epidemic have been criticised for price dumping and trashing the production music market by flooding it with cheap IP free music . They have denied this is the case in Sweden (http://epidemicsoundinfo.wordpress.com item 7 (google translation Swedish to English), however the six months free music for all Pact members in the UK must surely be price dumping as well as a massive incentive to switch away from UK suppliers in the short term.
Writing in The Guardian in September 2011 Mr McVay of Pact stated on copyright : "As much as we'd all love to have everything for free, this is frankly a juvenile view of the world. It refuses to engage in the complex issues that have to be properly understood to ensure that we can enjoy all of the benefits of the digital future and the products of our world beating creative industries."

Edited by wolf2 (12/11/13 03:48 PM)

Wick Daver

#1076644 - 28/11/13 02:41 PM
That's odd - When a similar company started undercutting everybody here in the UK (by removing the MCPS royalty stream) they got awards from the Queen and have grown to become the leading market player.

If you're a composer and you start recording for any of these non mcps or 'no royalties at all' libraries, you only have yourself to blame when in a few years you're earning nothing because all the fees have gone - AND THE WORK YOU HAVE SPENT YEARS CRAFTING IS DEEMED WORTHLESS.

First MCPS disappears - I guess it's the turn of performance royalties.. Although to be fair - it does seem as evidenced above, that the strength of opinion is such that this might not become the norm. But if the TV peeps want free/ very cheap music and they can get it - then they will I guess. It's only TV muzak they're after (a bit of a drone, or a beat) in most cases after all. Premium - quality stuff will be safe - but the incidental usages of your crap emotional piano tracks will drop off considerably and all the attritional stuff that adds up to your weekly food shop/bills etc will disappear.

Unfortunately it seems it's a race to the bottom. There are plenty of very talented composers who are happy to jump on any money making train - and don't give a flying f*** about the industry they undercut and destroy.

--------------------
I define success

wolf2

Re: Music should be copyright free but don't mess with the rights of the tv companies new [Re: Wick Daver]
      #1076734 - 29/11/13 05:48 AM
I totally take your point about Audio Network. If your only USP is that you're cheaper with less rights to deal with then sooner or later someone else will come along and trump you on that.Crowdsourcing's easy - if we wanted to we could even squeeze a level lower than Epidemic with some Far East sweatshop workers and a bunch of Apple loops.

I'm not annoyed at the Swedish amateurs that Epidemic have squeezed these tracks out of - I'm annoyed at the Swedish tv producers who set up this company and their cynical debasement in collusion with Pact of the industry. There's an intellectual dishonesty in the claims they make that this is a better model for musicians. Two of the directors who set up this company are musicians.They still have over 150 tracks each registered to their version of PRS. In other words, they know the value of copyright protection and aren't prepared to give it up themselves but they'll do all they can to persuade naive amateurs that there's no point in owning copyright.

Pact members owe their IP owning rights to The Communications Act 2003 and their generous tax breaks to the UK taxpayer -both of these could be reassessed by the Government if they are seen to be promoting the rights of their sector in a zero sum game at the expense of musicians IP. Plenty of soft flesh to kick. Just waiting now to see if BASCA or the MU or any UK music body is willing to do it.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 10096

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media