The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Imran500

What to do if you're a rock producer?
      #982530 - 16/04/12 07:43 PM
Basically I'm in a strange situation - I am writing and recording a bunch of rock songs however normally you'd get out there in a band situation and promote the tunes. I on the other hand am too old and too deaf to want to go down this route. So say I've got a bunch of quality hard rock tunes (Korn/ Smashing Pumpkins/ Evanescence is the style) recorded where the hell do I go from here.

One option I've been thinking of is to give my songs to a band who can get the fame and do all the gigging, obviously this means my cut is gonna be reduced but I don't see any alternatives really.

Anyone got any ideas?? Even I stuck my tunes on Bandcamp, marketing and promotion will be a massive headache as there will be no live gigs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
Re: What to do if you're a rock producer? new [Re: Imran500]
      #982574 - 17/04/12 12:41 AM
Have you thought about approaching a library?

If they are that good and sound like the bands you mention - a library might be interested - if that style still has cache, I dont know about contemporary rock.

They might of course be full up and need no more, depends how good they are, but if you got them on a proper one you would see more money probably - but you would have to be happy to let them go. I think your chances to get another group to take them would be slim.

Sorry if this idea offends!

--------------------

Imran500

#984840 - 28/04/12 05:49 PM
Nah it doesn't offend the feedback is appreciated

I'm going down the route of actually creating a band - I've whacked a tune up to attract people and explained what I'm doing and so far I've started getting replies. I think when people hear something they like in your tunes they are willing to give you a chance but it's extremely early days so god knows what's going to happen.... still it's rather exciting

atechnogirl

#986950 - 11/05/12 09:06 PM
Korn/ Smashing Pumpkins/ Evanescence is the style)
My young relative came over from the US two weeks ago, and I know that Korn played to a great audience in the UK recently. His reaction was a cynical smile. "Korn?...they were around in my teens. They ain't been heard of for years in Oklahoma."

There is a sound that works in the Festivals similar to the old Flaming Lips. I would prefer Korn, because they are such an exciting band, but music has moved on, and to create a band of that style is just too late in my opinion.

RancorBeast

#986961 - 11/05/12 10:34 PM
to do list:

1. quit day gig
2. get rich sitting at home playing with recording equiptment

Imran500

Re: What to do if you're a rock producer? new [Re: atechnogirl]
      #987077 - 12/05/12 07:26 PM
Quote atechnogirl:

Korn/ Smashing Pumpkins/ Evanescence is the style)
My young relative came over from the US two weeks ago, and I know that Korn played to a great audience in the UK recently. His reaction was a cynical smile. "Korn?...they were around in my teens. They ain't been heard of for years in Oklahoma."

There is a sound that works in the Festivals similar to the old Flaming Lips. I would prefer Korn, because they are such an exciting band, but music has moved on, and to create a band of that style is just too late in my opinion.

Yeah I suppose it's all been done, but that alternative heavy rock sound never really seems to go away - people (especially in America) still like that stuff. More recently people like Queens of The Stone Age for example. Korn is probably a bad example - they've done it their way and that's a thing of the past I'd agree

atechnogirl

#987092 - 12/05/12 09:05 PM
Actually I went to a gig of theirs in my town recently and they blew it away. Regardless of what is working in the UK, I would keep at it. What works is hitting the soul, and Korn certainly do that. However, they have an old school reputation, and I think people are looking for something else, like Kassidy ( So, will the promoter book you? Probably not, but they should.

Always one for a plug, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2kbPpqKO8

North Atlantic Oscillation: That is a sound to follow.

Edited by atechnogirl (12/05/12 09:35 PM)

markoos

Loc: o: in:Aca:pulc: o:
      #987999 - 17/05/12 01:18 PM
Quote atechnogirl:

...Always one for a plug, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2kbPpqKO8

North Atlantic Oscillation: That is a sound to follow.

First listen - through headphones connected to the headphone out on my mac - skipped immediately to about 3rd of the way in, didn't realise I had the volume up max and therefore had my ears battered by what appears to be a very hyped, very compressed mix.

Anyway, turned it down then played hunt the drums. Think they're in there somewhere, can make something out. This particular mix seems to be completely free of dynamic change, with the exception of the intro which holds a lot of promise and builds nicely.

Wanted to post something about the mix in general with the intention of suggesting that following this particular blueprint (mix structure rather than song) was perhaps, maybe, possibly could be a counterproductive move. But then your suggestion is that the 'sound' is one to follow, so might be jumping to conclusions there.

Decided to have a second listen.

Now on my third. Love the vocals, song structure - I stand by my comments about the drums and lack of dynamics overall. Apart from that, really like it and the crunchy scrape outro.

Thanks for the link!

--------------------
"There's only 45 degrees between the Hitler and the Zombie" - me, Saturday night, in front of the speakers

The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
      #988006 - 17/05/12 02:02 PM
Slightly OT, but please add me to the list of Korn apologists — saw them at Download a few years ago (2007, maybe?) and they were awesome.

Cheers!

Chris

atechnogirl

#988299 - 18/05/12 10:25 PM
Ben Martin is the drummer. The trouble with this group is that they don't market themselves very well, which is why I am highlighting them in the business forum. Last time I looked, their Twitter numbers were in the hundreds. I am glad you guys are getting them and cheers for giving them a few listens. They make my hairs stand up on the back of my neck, but how do you get talent like this on the radio? My income is dance, but I hate to see this sort of talent go to waste.

Scramble

#988306 - 18/05/12 11:06 PM
Finally I agree with atechnogirl.* Love NAO. The prog world in general also loves them. They came 4th or 5th in the Critic's Choice of best album last year in Prog mag. Great vocal sound. Other parts of the production are patchy in places, but they don't have much of a budget.

*Just kidding you about that, atechnogirl.

atechnogirl

#988308 - 18/05/12 11:14 PM
Scramble you old softy.

Edited by atechnogirl (18/05/12 11:15 PM)

Chaconne

#988422 - 19/05/12 08:14 PM
I wish I could get these guys - and a lot of other acts that feature in Prog mag - but I wouldn't swap any of them for even a 'Power Windows' era Rush!

I'll keep at it!

--------------------

atechnogirl

#989642 - 25/05/12 08:47 PM
What do you do if you are are a Rock Producer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43P_8UkA5A

Pinestreet

Loc: Sweden
      #989701 - 26/05/12 03:01 AM
... but did you check out the remix and video... amazing !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8NDOCe-WY&feature=colike

TrundellMusicman

Loc: Southampton
Re: What to do if you're a rock producer? new [Re: Chaconne]
      #989998 - 28/05/12 12:20 PM
Quote Chaconne:

Have you thought about approaching a library?

hypothetical; for somebody trying to set up a record/distribution label how would selling to a music library (assuming they had a constant feed of interest to said library) help with getting a label out there in terms of recognition and revenue ?

T.

Chaconne

#990120 - 28/05/12 11:48 PM
Well it would not help with recognition. There are plenty of people doing library music anon, despite being well known elswhere. In fact the big libraries often prefer writers currently doing well commercially, or at least having once done. Not a golden rule of course.

Library can help financially of course. If you are writing a lot of quality tracks, then you might not be able to keep up with them. As the OP said, maybe you dont want to do any promo or live work - particularly if a label has no real money. Library placement can be better than signing to a label, you often get a 50/50 deal. I'm talking about the proper ones, not royalty free.

So with Library you dont get any recognition or a buzz on the blogs, but its an extra income stream coming from writing - thats all - same as sample packs, re-mixing etc etc.

--------------------

atechnogirl

#990286 - 29/05/12 09:04 PM
Pinestreet, I did listen and it could almost work on a dance floor with a faster BPM and a stronger bass. But why remix when the original has gone nowhere?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lQG7aDwMjU tells me why NAO are not getting the exposure they deserve. Just read the comments. It is sad, and so is the video. These guys have talent, but they can't seem to do it live.
Imran, I am sorry if I have taken over your post, because you say that you can't get live gigs. I am not a fan of libraries until the gigs come in.
On a second thought I will get one of my guys to bump that remix up a bit

Edited by atechnogirl (29/05/12 09:11 PM)

Pinestreet

Loc: Sweden
      #990288 - 29/05/12 10:07 PM
atechnogirl,

That's not my remix, nothing to do with me, honest !!! - I just liked your link and searched for some other music from them and found the remix. I thought it was better and the paper video story was impressive. I didn't know the band until you pointed them out in your link. I hope they do well, it's a nice sound.

On the subject of libraries, where would I find a link to one of these libraries to listen to what people are submitting??

Thanks.

atechnogirl

#990294 - 29/05/12 10:43 PM
That is up to you to find out. I don't deal with library music, the publishers do that, but most of the stuff is stolen on rapidshare sites anyway. Money is made in live gigs these days.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6141

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media