Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
jrbcm

Logic Automation problem
      #1002085 - 07/08/12 08:48 AM
Greetings.

I have a problem in Logic 9.1.7 (64bit).

When copying over large chunks (multiple regions) on the arrange page some of the automation data isn't copying reliably. I had one bunch of audio regions which just refused to copy the automation (there was some automation but most missing) and just now I've been getting missing volume curves ie. the copied region just has a straight line instead of a curve...is this a know bug????

Help me Obi Wan keDesmond....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Logic Automation problem new [Re: jrbcm]
      #1002162 - 07/08/12 12:29 PM
Oi, less of the "Wanke", please..!

I always have to be careful moving automation around, I don't find Logic does a brilliant job at working out what you want and doing it, particularly it's ways of changing lines between points and filling in when adding in points. I think it's mostly following a predictable algorithm, the effects of which aren't often what you musically want.

No real advice but be careful, use track automation folder view when necessary, and check that what is happening is what you want, so you can be on top of the changes you need to make. Sometimes I will convert to MIDI, edit that, and then move it back to automation, it really depends on the task.

jrbcm

#1002184 - 07/08/12 01:45 PM
Thanks Desmond-

yeah I am aware of the various 'being careful' tips, but this is something different. I mean, it's right in front of you as a curve, you move the region and it's become a straight line. Also, I'm getting what appears to be two lines sometimes, like a hairpin shape...wtf's going on?!

ps. 'wanke' genuinely unintentional !

desmond

#1002195 - 07/08/12 03:33 PM
Have a look at the underlying automation data in the track automation folder - sometimes, it's possible to have overlapping regions here containing two sets of (conflicting) automation data. I haven't had this in LP9, but certainly did in LP8.

Sometimes, if something genuinely weird is happening, it's best to clear out the automation completely on that track and redo it (or convert it to MIDI, move it to another track, and reset up the new track).

Can you do a screen grab of the issue you're seeing?

desmond

#1002199 - 07/08/12 03:48 PM
Quote johnny artpants:

ps. 'wanke' genuinely unintentional !

Yeah but it was funny though..!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1887

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media