Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Masa

Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use...
      #1015237 - 24/10/12 02:27 PM
...given the arrival of all these gorgeous new Macs and that Apple have effectively ditched FW 400 / 800, we will all have Thunderbolt to "adapt" to in the future. Can those who have had ACTUAL experience of using Thunderbolt adapters let us, who have yet to have that pleasure, know which FW interfaces work / don't work with the adapters?

I have fairly recently acquired a Focusrite Saffire Pro40 and the Focusrite official view is that "Preliminary testing indicates that the Thunderbolt to firewire adapter does work with our Saffire Pro range"......hardly a ringing endorsement and shouldn't "preliminary" testing now be "final" testing given the timescales!

So guys....what actually works.....please????

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
twotoedsloth

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: Masa]
      #1015248 - 24/10/12 03:25 PM
The MOTU Traveler, both the original and the Mk 3, work very well on my Macbook Air using the FW-Thunderbolt adapter. The only irritation is that the adapter uses the FW800 connector instead of the more common FW400 connector.

Rob R

#1015293 - 24/10/12 08:08 PM
following this, as I am interested to know if anyone can shed light on using an apogee duet (firewire) and an external HDD daisychained via the adaptor... because this might be the deal breaker for me if I can't run em... reason I feel sceptical is because I noted on the FW / TB adaptor comments on the apple store that some found it underpowered.

Really need to have a bigger screen with my old eyes(the 17"mbp is too small when it comes to logic now)... I was so glad when I read the new iMacs are 75% less reflective (i do photography too, and this had stopped me buying an imac til now), but narked to find I need MORE cables..... (optical drive & FW/TB adaptor...)

I could go top end mac mini and a decent monitor of course... I'm such a fanboy at times.... yeah i know...

--------------------
cheers, Rob

Howdy Doody Time

Loc: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
      #1015322 - 24/10/12 11:34 PM

"given the arrival of all these gorgeous new Macs and that Apple have effectively ditched FW 400 / 800"

Steady on. I was insulted, and called a troll for saying exactly that last week on this forum. In fact so severe was the criticism that I believed I was wrong and shelled out a thousand quid on an iMac that is apparently going to be obsolete next week. If I'd stood my ground I'd have waited for the new iMac, but that's what bullying will do.

It does have Firewire 800 as well as Thunderwhatsit and the 800-400 adapter works fine, and I have no doubt the Thunderthing to Firewire will be fine too. The Apple stores here sell aftermarket adapters exclusively and they all work.

--------------------
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

ChrisCarter

Loc: In the studio or on the road.....
      #1015337 - 25/10/12 06:39 AM
We're using MacBookAirs with Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapters and have had zero problems running an ancient Edirol FA66 FW interface and various MOTO FW interfaces. Very impressed.

--------------------
Web Site | Twitter | iTunes

Rob R

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: ChrisCarter]
      #1015536 - 25/10/12 10:08 PM
Quote ChrisCarter:

We're using MacBookAirs with Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapters and have had zero problems running an ancient Edirol FA66 FW interface and various MOTO FW interfaces. Very impressed.

Yay!

ta

--------------------
cheers, Rob

danielhuw

Loc: Brecon
      #1018695 - 15/11/12 12:49 PM
I use a MOTU Ultralite. It's connected to my MBP via a firewire 400 to 800 cable, plugged into the Apple thunderbolt to firewire adaptor. The Mac can't provide power to the Ultralite - I have to use the separate MOTU power adaptor. The cable works fine (provides power) on my old laptop which has a firewire socket. It's not a big issue for me to plug in the MOTU power adaptor, and the audio works perfectly.

Dan

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

Loc: The King's Height
Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: danielhuw]
      #1018699 - 15/11/12 01:12 PM
It all sounds reasonably encouraging as I was thinking of getting a f/w interface.

--------------------
Jack of all trades, master of some.

Kaw-Liga

Loc: Norway, Oslo
Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: BigAl]
      #1019113 - 18/11/12 09:51 AM
I wouldn't ever buy a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor. The thunderbolt is insanely more powerful than firewire: google "thunderbolt hub" and you'll get firewires, usbs, esatas, hdmis, thunderbolts, and expresscard 2.0 connectivity through one thunderbolt port.

Edited by Kaw-Liga (18/11/12 09:52 AM)

TBTS

Loc: London
Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: Kaw-Liga]
      #1019118 - 18/11/12 10:59 AM
Quote Kaw-Liga:

I wouldn't ever buy a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor. The thunderbolt is insanely more powerful than firewire: google "thunderbolt hub" and you'll get firewires, usbs, esatas, hdmis, thunderbolts, and expresscard 2.0 connectivity through one thunderbolt port.

this is good advice, to lock it off to just firewire, is a waste.

--------------------
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

Scope

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: TBTS]
      #1019150 - 18/11/12 02:19 PM
Is it just me or is £35 for a simple cable (Tb to FW) a right royal ripoff ?

Masa

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: Scope]
      #1019176 - 18/11/12 05:27 PM
....of course most of us would prefer a thunderbolt hub....but £300 is some serious money whereas £25 (not £35...but still expensive) is easier to absorb.

I use a Focusrite Firewire audio interface which does exactly what I need it to do, but when I buy my new iMac (get a move on apple) I have no option to connect except with an adapter or hub. I guess many people will be in the same boat as me and the intention here is to offer cost affective options. As the new iMac comes with more than enough connectivity for all of my other stuff, a hub would be expensive overkill.

...but all good options/advice for many I'll wager....

Kaw-Liga

Loc: Norway, Oslo
      #1019183 - 18/11/12 06:40 PM
Quote Masa:

....of course most of us would prefer a thunderbolt hub....but £300 is some serious money whereas £25 (not £35...but still expensive) is easier to absorb.

I use a Focusrite Firewire audio interface which does exactly what I need it to do, but when I buy my new iMac (get a move on apple) I have no option to connect except with an adapter or hub. I guess many people will be in the same boat as me and the intention here is to offer cost affective options. As the new iMac comes with more than enough connectivity for all of my other stuff, a hub would be expensive overkill.

...but all good options/advice for many I'll wager....

I agree: cost is definitively a factor. It is also possible to buy the needed firewire adapter now and the hub later, when it'll be much cheaper, if it proves necessary. And the firewire adapter would be the better option anyhow, if one often makes field recordings while wishing to travel light.

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: Scope]
      #1019192 - 18/11/12 07:20 PM
Quote Scope:

I think you'll find it's not a 'simple cable'

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

desmond

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1019194 - 18/11/12 07:24 PM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

Quote Scope:

Yep - TB cables all have a fair amount of circuitry in them...

Masa

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: desmond]
      #1019216 - 18/11/12 11:12 PM
Quote desmond:

Quote Bob Bickerton:

Quote Scope:

Yep - TB cables all have a fair amount of circuitry in them...

...and it's £25....not £35 ...unless I'm looking at a different Apple store to everyone else...

TBTS

Loc: London
      #1019226 - 19/11/12 12:39 AM
i'd guess the price will drop fairly soon, with it being fairly new tech still. But yeah, it could be considered overkill for some.

--------------------
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

Masa

Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: TBTS]
      #1025383 - 21/12/12 09:41 AM
Update...my 27inch iMac arrived early (Weird eh?)....everything works beautifully, including my FW to Thunderbolt adapter!!

The Adapter itself is very well made and feels classy...I bought a FW800 to FW400 cable to connect my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to the Mac and IT WORKS seamlessly!!

Happy days

JPH

Loc: Pinner
      #1025489 - 21/12/12 06:38 PM
Started using one this week on my 2011 iMac, hanging an external RAID1 disk array off it, which has USB and FW800... had previously used FW800. S'good. Works absolutely fine. No complaints whatsoever.

Will eventually get round to getting a TB disk array, but theres no rush for that. Current setup is absolutely fine and frees up my FW800 socket on the iMac, which I might use for something else, as yet undecided....

miczac

Loc: Vienna
Re: Firewire to Thunderbolt adapters...actual examples in use... new [Re: JPH]
      #1078385 - 08/12/13 02:13 PM
Hi,
I'm afraid I've to report that on my newly acquired MBP my trusty MOTU Traveler (original version)
can't be powered via the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter .
After more than 6 years working with a 17" MacBook Pro (3,1)
I was waiting for the new issue of MBPs, which were finally released on Oct 22.
Since I had a bad feeling about not having Ethernet/FW/separate audio I-O/anti-glare screen
I decided to go for a refurbished 2012 MBP (MacBoocPro9,1), which I'm very happy with.
I also ordered a TB to FW adapter that works fine with my external hard disks.
My MOTU Traveler works great on the FW800 port the MBP provides but shuts down
immediately after booting when connected to the TB/FW adaptor.
This is on par with my estimation regarding bus power capabilities of TB and FW
(based on the specs found for TB and FW [1]).

So in my case it appears that it just does not work.
In other cases it just might work – from the specs it wouldn't.
Formally, and in general, I wouldn't rely on that since in a different setting – like on stage – it
may not be as reliable as it appeared before
in a stable environment like at home or in the studio. It's somehow just on the edge.
As a travelling musician I want to have as few as possible cables, hubs adapters etc. since
it's all prone to loss and failure.

Earlier I estimated that the audio industry might rather lean towards USB 3.0 than TB,
but currently it is hard to tell. AFAIK so ar there's just Avid and Apogee supporting TB
and RME just released with MADIface XT the first USB 3.0 interface.

Michael.

[1] according to this info TB can deliver 9.9W while the Traveler consumes 12W of power.

Edited by miczac (08/12/13 02:23 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 27064

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media