Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
Warning: Mountain Lion won't boot in 32 bit!
      #1019017 - 17/11/12 12:35 PM
Just thought I'd let you know this in case, like me, you have an interface that only talks to your mac when it's running the Kernel at 32 bit (my old tascam fw1804). And if you upgrade to mountain lion you won't be able to boot the mac at 32 bit as I do at the mo. Just discovered this on the apple forum accidentally when I was on the very cusp of moving from Lion to ML! Which would instantly have made my interface redundant. Eeeek!

Here's one of the apple threads for example: Apple forum

--------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Warning: Mountain Lion won't boot in 32 bit! new [Re: Huge Longjohns]
      #1019024 - 17/11/12 01:19 PM
Yep, if you run the kernel in 64-bit, you must have 64-bit drivers for all your hardware, otherwise it won't work.

ML removes the option to boot the kernel into 32-bit, so any hardware you have that doesn't have 64-bit drivers will be redundant.

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
      #1019027 - 17/11/12 02:08 PM
Nearly a very grumpy Mr Longjohns there! £15 for Mountain Lion, £500 to use it for music!

--------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Kaw-Liga

Loc: Norway, Oslo
      #1019112 - 18/11/12 09:40 AM
Oh! I can't believe it not to be so, but just to be sure: logic still has the 32-bit plugin bridge working in ML, right?

desmond

Re: Warning: Mountain Lion won't boot in 32 bit! new [Re: Kaw-Liga]
      #1019115 - 18/11/12 10:32 AM
Quote Kaw-Liga:

Oh! I can't believe it not to be so, but just to be sure: logic still has the 32-bit plugin bridge working in ML, right?

Kernel mode hardware drivers have nothing to do with whether apps run in 32-bit or 64-bit mode. ML can run either without problems, Logic hasn't changed in any way.

Happyandbored

#1019135 - 18/11/12 12:36 PM
Yeah, I got caught out by this a while back too. I've since sold my FW1884 and replaced it with a secondhand Mackie Control and Motu interface. Think I'll avoid Tascam in future - Motu have far older interfaces which they have provided 64 bit drivers to; Once they've got your cash, Tascam don't seem too keen on maintaining their reputation these days.

If you can get hold of Developer's Preview 1 of Mountain Lion from 'somewhere', it will let you downgrade to it without having to reinstall from scratch. The 32 bit kernel option was still left in this version and it works reasonably well, though there are a fair few differences - features from the release version not present (e.g., voice recognition) and the odd bug. It will at least get you back up and running in the short term. It will then let you upgrade to regular mountain lion in the future, once you've replaced your gear. (Ironically, it was the fact that I'd read that it worked with DP1 and somehow missed the reports of 32 bit support being removed in later versions that led to me making the mistake in the first place...)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3156

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media