Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
GPLaudio

Loc: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia,...
April 2006 MB Pro - Worth refurbishing?
      #1019230 - 19/11/12 02:25 AM
I recently acquired a donated Macbook Pro, 17", circa April 2006. It has 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM (capable of 2GB). It needs a new battery, more RAM and power cord. I think the 100 GB HD is bad. My plan would be to use to it in a fixed location live sound setting mostly as a track library and Internet access. Would likely use SoundCue or SoundByte software. It would not be used for recording or video.

QUESTION - Is this 2006 MBP worth spending a few hundred dollars for the above intended use?
- New HD (possibly solid state)
- Two GB memory
- New battery and power cord.

I have several other Apple computers but all are much newer than this 2006 laptop.

Thanks for any guidance.
Dave

--------------------
He that hath an ear, let him hear.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Kaw-Liga

Loc: Norway, Oslo
Re: April 2006 MB Pro - Worth refurbishing? new [Re: GPLaudio]
      #1019239 - 19/11/12 07:46 AM
I don't know what you mean by track library, but I've used my late 2006 macbook (not pro!) for everything since I bought it. I've used it on logic, pro tools, and for all other tasks. It runs the demo-sessions included in logic 9, which are the largest sessions i've opened. It can't handle very many large cpu-hungry soft-synths at the same time, especially in pro tools, but for the way you intend to use it, it should perform effortlessly. I'd upgrade.

oktafish

#1019261 - 19/11/12 11:22 AM
I recently replaced the internal HD with an SSD in a 2006 MBP (3GB RAM) and have found myself with a very capable machine, Logic etc. Definitely worth investing a couple of hundred bucks...

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/violentchimp
www.myspace.com/vylon

Magic Matt

#1019279 - 19/11/12 01:16 PM
Adding an SSD to any old machine gives it a lot more power. I've brought an old Windows XP machine that has a single core Pentium 4 3GHz CPU back into service by putting an SSD in there - it can now handle 48 channel 24bit 96kHz audio mixing. Very impressive for such an old machine. I'd expect your MBP to probably do better than that. Sample based soft synths are also unbeatable running from SSD.

Don't bother getting the high spec SSD drives though - the drives will outperform the max speed of the interface, which is likely to be SATA 3Gb/s - even the budget SSD drives will be like lightening compared to a HDD, and will be close to maximum performance the system can provide.

GPLaudio

Loc: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia,...
Re: April 2006 MB Pro - Worth refurbishing? new [Re: Magic Matt]
      #1019374 - 20/11/12 02:01 AM
Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. Tonight, I had some additional time to work on this laptop. Turns out the HD is good but the odd-brand 1GB add-on RAM that someone else installed was bad. After removing it and using only the original 1GB Mac OEM RAM, everything works fine and I was able to reinstall Mac OS X without issue. I agree on the solid state drive and will contact OWC and/or Crucial tomorrow to order the new HD, more RAM and other missing parts.

Thanks again - Dave

--------------------
He that hath an ear, let him hear.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2117

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media