Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Casiokeys

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Would this RAM be suitable for my early 2008 Mac Pro?
      #1019629 - 21/11/12 03:58 PM
Like the title says, I'm just trying to increase my memory after Pro Tools started throwing lots of error messages my way lately.

I was looking on Crucial at their 4GB kit, which runs at £119 but I also had a look at good old eBuyer, who are selling a Corsair 4GB kit for £40.
I did my level best to make sure the specs match exactly what's on offer from Crucial, but just wanted to double check this would be fine for my early 2008 Mac Pro before I take the plunge.

Here's a link to Crucial:
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=5B2766DBA5CA7304

And here's the link to the eBuyer alternative:
http://www.ebuyer.com/164758-corsair-4gb-ddr2-800mhz-memory-vs4gbkit800d2< /a>

If it makes any difference, I currently have the pre-installed 2GB which shipped with Mac Pro.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
"How many drummers do you know of that kick their drums?!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
TBTS

Loc: London
Re: Would this RAM be suitable for my early 2008 Mac Pro? new [Re: Casiokeys]
      #1019644 - 21/11/12 06:52 PM
Nope, i'm afraid not, your Mac pro has fully buffered Dimms (FBDimm) (basically more accurate ram).

I also have a 2008, upgrading the ram is a painfully expensive operation, but it has it's benefits.

--------------------
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

monkfish

#1019931 - 23/11/12 01:22 PM
Is that why it's so expensive? I have a late 2007 Mac Pro and I'm sick of hearing how cheap RAM is these days! Not for my model, which is probably about to become suddenly obsolete when Logic X finally turns up..

desmond

Re: Would this RAM be suitable for my early 2008 Mac Pro? new [Re: monkfish]
      #1019951 - 23/11/12 02:48 PM
DDR ram for modern machines is cheap these days - the earlier generations of ram were quite a bit more expensive.

offshore

Loc: OZ
      #1020047 - 24/11/12 11:48 AM
Hi

I have had good success with my Jan '08 8 - core MacPro and my '07 2.2GHZ MacBook Pro with this company.

From an Australian perspective, the relatively good $US exchange rate at present, it's good buying down here.

The chap there always sends me an individual email for me to authorise shipping etc

www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2726&RequestTimeOut=500< /a>

cheers

O

TBTS

Re: Would this RAM be suitable for my early 2008 Mac Pro? new [Re: desmond]
      #1020048 - 24/11/12 12:36 PM
Quote desmond:

DDR ram for modern machines is cheap these days - the earlier generations of ram were quite a bit more expensive.

nothing to do with age, it's purely server grade ram vs regular ram, for example, a 4gb ddr for a macbook of the same age is around £40, one for the same age mac pro is around £150

--------------------
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **

desmond

Re: Would this RAM be suitable for my early 2008 Mac Pro? new [Re: TBTS]
      #1020059 - 24/11/12 02:17 PM
Quote TBTS:

Quote desmond:

nothing to do with age, it's purely server grade ram vs regular ram, for example, a 4gb ddr for a macbook of the same age is around £40, one for the same age mac pro is around £150

Yeah I know, but that's no what I'm talking about. To get 8GB of ram for my 2008 MBP, we were talking £160 or thereabouts, and I was shocked when I looked the price of ram for my parents newer iMac, which was like about £30. The DDR3 stuff was way cheaper than the earlier generation PC chips, which was my point - ram prices for newer machines are way cheaper than they ever were before, and I'm not talking about general market forces either...

16GB of RAM for £65..? Thank you very much...

TBTS

Re: Would this RAM be suitable for my early 2008 Mac Pro? new [Re: desmond]
      #1020072 - 24/11/12 03:58 PM
should be able to pick up 8gb for an 08 mbp about 40-90 quid or less from crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmodel.aspx?pl=MacBook%20...

--------------------

Edited by TBTS (24/11/12 03:59 PM)

desmond

Re: Would this RAM be suitable for my early 2008 Mac Pro? new [Re: TBTS]
      #1020080 - 24/11/12 05:14 PM
Quote TBTS:

should be able to pick up 8gb for an 08 mbp about 40-90 quid or less from crucial.

Kinda makes my point, doesn't it? Yes, price differences have come down a bit since my inital shock at the price differences, but still 8GB of the older ram currently costs at least the same or more than 16GB of the newer type.

Looking at my order history - one 4GB stick for my 2008 MBP was £93 (so two would be £186).
For my current MBP, two 4GB sticks was £34.

Quite a difference, no?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3076

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media