Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Logic still being developed
      #1022123 - 03/12/12 08:07 PM
This has cropped up in a few threads of late.

MacRumours posted This

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
porthoss78

Loc: Bristol
Re: Logic still being developed new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1022126 - 03/12/12 08:16 PM
Thanks for the link Bob, I hope that's true. Although, the news last week has encouraged me to try to learn another DAW; which can't be a bad thing.

Thanks again
J

desmond

Re: Logic still being developed new [Re: porthoss78]
      #1022134 - 03/12/12 08:35 PM
Never doubted it.

The team that got slimmed down were purely marketing peeps only, nothing to do with the development team...

I seem to recall recently saying to someone who was doubting Logic's future to email Tim Cook and ask - this is exactly what someone did, and as a result caused Apple to issue an official statement on the development of Logic.

All they had to do was ask...

Trebor Flow

Re: Logic still being developed new [Re: desmond]
      #1022149 - 03/12/12 10:00 PM
Quote desmond:

Never doubted it.

The team that got slimmed down were purely marketing peeps only, nothing to do with the development team...

I seem to recall recently saying to someone who was doubting Logic's future to email Tim Cook and ask - this is exactly what someone did, and as a result caused Apple to issue an official statement on the development of Logic.

All they had to do was ask...

Apple will release Logic X .... when their good and ready (could be 2015 who knows) .... it will work with the iteration of OS they want it too and it will look and function in whatever their vision is at the time, irrespective of any desires of their user base (Final Cut X)

So, for me as a user of Creator/Emagic/Apple of over 20 years - "Logic X" will be a watershed moment with the platform, it will either be WOW amazing love it, or that will be it for me.

Time will tell - not "Tim will tell"

tf

desmond

Re: Logic still being developed new [Re: Trebor Flow]
      #1022159 - 03/12/12 10:35 PM
Quote Trebor Flow:

So, for me as a user of Creator/Emagic/Apple of over 20 years - "Logic X" will be a watershed moment with the platform, it will either be WOW amazing love it, or that will be it for me.

I think it will be more or less the same old Logic we know and love, with some whizz bang new features, possibly including some clever and unique ones. I also wouldn't be surprised, given the length of time between versions, if they haven't re-engineered some of the old crusty stuff and thrown out some legacy stuff (both for the better and worse, no doubt).

LP7 was the first Apple watershed version of Logic (the first de-emagic'd and Applified version), then LP8 (a sizable GUI refresh and interface rejigging).

So - I'm pretty sure in general it will be a better app than LP9 in most ways, with possibly some issues for some people who rely on some feature that's now gone, and most regular users will upgrade as it's relatively inexpensive to do so anyway and the new features or workflow will be beneficial. I'll relatively confidently predict I'll most likely be upgrading (probably), almost for definite, and that's highly probable. Particularly if some of Redmatica's influence is in there, for sure.

But, of course, we'll all just have to wait and see.

stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
      #1022182 - 03/12/12 11:46 PM
Quote desmond:

... I seem to recall recently saying to someone who was doubting Logic's future to email Tim Cook and ask ...

Yep Desmond. And I did emailed M. Cook but never get answered. No problems! Can live with that! And now we have an answer anyway. Life is good. So is Logic

caveman82

Re: Logic still being developed new [Re: stratquebec]
      #1022664 - 06/12/12 10:12 AM
I read something on another forum scaremongering Logic's lack of visible signs for a major release over the last few years.

I'm no Apple fanboy (I'm just a user) but the perspective towards Logic's lack of major updates seems pretty perplexing in some ways. It seems Steinberg/Ableton take bad press for pushing out too many major updates at the expense of the consumer. Logic on the other hand have had the opposite which is taking some bad press now.

What does a company do to appease it's users for releases?

I myself with my somewhat ageing Macbook running 10.6.8 with Logic Pro 9.1.8 is the most stable music making system I've had which I believe is a very small concession to the basis 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', which I think applies to Logic in some ways; the lack of major updates isn't that bad a thing...

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/earwighoney

clisma

Re: Logic still being developed new [Re: caveman82]
      #1022684 - 06/12/12 11:10 AM
I agree. I'm already not crazy about Apple pushing out a major OS upgrade every year. Why?

Conversely, I think the time between major Logic versions may be too long, but I don't mind having solid features and kinks ironed out in smaller updates, like they have been doing. Just make sure that your next major version has tools to offer that will improve workflow. If that's the case, take the time you need.

The stablest version for me so far, has been 9.1.7 on OS 10.6.8. The new update has made the program more crash-prone.

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

stratquebec

Re: Logic still being developed new [Re: clisma]
      #1022880 - 06/12/12 11:50 PM
Quote clisma:

I ...The new update has made the program more crash-prone.

Really? So far everything's fine here. Please give more details.

stratquebec

#1023111 - 07/12/12 11:53 PM
Quote stratquebec:

Quote clisma:

Well here's one "new" issue, maybe. I got this when running a session with way too much plugins my system can handle:

Quote:

Disk is too slow or System Overload. (-10010)

The Sudden Motion Sensor may have parked the hard drive head, or the disk performance is not sufficient to read or write all audio tracks, or the system was not able to process all data in time.

Didn't know I have this feature on my iMac !!! Was not listed in the 9.1.7 release notes. We'll probably have a fix from Apple in 2 or 3 years or so. Na... Just joking.

Seriously now, I really deserve an error message by pushing my iMac really too hard but to my knowledge SMS system is only for the MacBook or the like. Typing sudo pmset -g in the terminal indeed show no SMS feature.

Really nothing here to cry about! I'm just curious to know why I got this SMS thing error message?

Life's good, so is Logic!

desmond

#1023122 - 08/12/12 02:15 AM
What makes you think, of the three possibilities the error message hints at, that your issue must have been the first one?

stratquebec

#1023126 - 08/12/12 03:36 AM
For sure I know it's not the first one Desmond, but Logic obviously don't!
Logic should know it's running on a destktop and then, should'nt consider SMS as one of the possible issue.

clisma

#1023134 - 08/12/12 08:42 AM
Quote stratquebec:

Quote clisma:

The 32bit bridge seems more problematic, causing hangs upon shutdown of Logic and thus requiring a Force Quit. I know for many other users the bridge has been crash-prone, but for me it's been rock solid until now.

Another issue I'm having, is that upon relaunching a session (I use screen sets on a dual monitor system) my arrange window and notation window will have swapped monitors! Can duplicate this every time, although it could also be a consequence of using Air Display with the iPad. However, even when AirDisplay is unconnected, the behavior persists.

In regards to the SMS error message you're getting, couldn't it just simply be a case of laziness on Apple's part in grouping all HD error messages for all machines? I certainly don't remember seeing that message in 9.1.7 though.

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

stratquebec

Re: Logic still being developed new [Re: clisma]
      #1023310 - 09/12/12 04:08 PM
Quote clisma:

...In regards to the SMS error message you're getting, couldn't it just simply be a case of laziness on Apple's part in grouping all HD error messages for all machines?

Yep probably that , and if it is, it's poor programming pratices and it surprises me a lot coming from Apple. Man, it's so easy for an app to know on what device it is running that I wouldn't call it laziness but "don't care'ness".

Btw I've not been able to reproduce the sequence of events leading to this generic error message. All I get now is the usual "disk too slow" error message using either 9.1.6 or 9.1.7 and I can assure you that I never ever saw that SMS thing inculded in any error messages I ever got with 9.1.6..

Again, nothing to cry about here. OTOH the problems you have deserves further investigations from Apple. Please let them know!

stratquebec

#1023567 - 10/12/12 11:41 PM
Quote stratquebec:

Quote clisma:

...In regards to the SMS error message you're getting, couldn't it just simply be a case of laziness on Apple's part in grouping all HD error messages for all machines?

Yep probably that , and if it is, it's poor programming pratices and it surprises me a lot coming from Apple. Man, it's so easy for an app to know on what device it is running that I wouldn't call it laziness but "don't care'ness".

Btw I've not been able to reproduce the sequence of events leading to this generic error message. All I get now is the usual "disk too slow" error message using either 9.1.7 or 9.1.8 and I can assure you that I never ever saw that SMS thing inculded in any error messages I ever got with 9.1.7.

Again, nothing to cry about here. OTOH the problems you have deserves further investigations from Apple. Please let them know!

Updated regarding Logic version number 9.1.7 vs 9.1.8, not 9.1.6 vs 9.1.7

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 6218

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media