Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Writerman

A string-length question....
      #1023390 - 10/12/12 03:47 AM
I suspect this comes under the "How long is a piece of string?" heading, but here goes....

After a LONG time away from music I've decided to take some time off work and actually record the album I've been yakking about for years. I'm pretty much building a DAW setup from scratch so would really appreciate some input/advice. I have a passing acquaintance with Logic and am in a position to buy a Mac (iMac or Pro?) to run it, but my question is - what kind of system configuration should I go for? Most of the recording will be done at home, although I might venture into a studio for any vocals.

The music is keyboard-based (but not exclusively), with audio recording + Midi instruments + software instruments + Sample streaming orchestras etc. It may be heavy-ish on track-count (what qualifies as "heavy track count" these days?), so I'd appreciate hearing what kind of track / plug-in usage etc you guys get and what systems you're using - 4/6/8/12 Core? Proc Speed? Ram? HDD speed? Has Thunderbolt changed everything? Will a high spec'd Mac Pro laugh at what I want to do? Or buckle under the weight? Or do I not really need a high spec'd one at all? Should I bite the bullet (and my Bank Manager) and go Pro Tools? Or Logic + UAD? Although I could probably afford a basic Pro Tools rig, if I don't really need to spend all that dosh I'd be very happy not to....

As you can tell, a) I need all the help I can get, and b) I have no idea how long a piece of string is.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

--------------------
"When things go wrong, don't go with them."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
clisma

Loc: LA
Re: A string-length question.... new [Re: Writerman]
      #1023398 - 10/12/12 08:12 AM
Well, let me get the ball rolling.

The new iMacs are beasts. Very capable and you would have no problem with track counts. You should even be ok working with orchestral samples and high track counts due to the multiple cores Logic can address. Expendability, while still more limited on the iMac, is less so with the introduction of Thunderbolt. Peripherals are now starting to appear. However, for audio, unless you're looking to buy the Apollo with Thunderbolt option, FW and USB still rule.

I'm currently on a 2009 Mac Pro 2.26 with 12 GB or RAM and it's handling large orchestral templates very well. My track count is VI's is easily into the 30s with a total VI/plugin count of anywhere from 15 to 40 and doing just fine. Only upgrade I'm planning in the near future is doubling the RAM to 24GB and contemplating and SSD for Start-up HD and Sample HD. Oh yeah, it helps to keep your start-up drive (with Logic on it) separate from your Audio Projects HD and your Samples HD.

With the MacPro I have the luxury of having these components all internally and still lots of room for more expansion. Plus, no built-in monitor gives me the chance to set up a matched dual screen, highly impractical for the iMac. Though I recognize this is of little importance to most people.

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Writerman

Re: A string-length question.... new [Re: clisma]
      #1024595 - 16/12/12 07:31 PM
That's great, exactly the sort of info I need. Many thanks.

One more thing - when configuring a Mac Pro for music, is number of cores more important than processor speed? So is a 2 x4 (8) core/2.26 better than a 1 x 4 core 2.8, for example...?

clisma

Loc: LA
Re: A string-length question.... new [Re: Writerman]
      #1024707 - 17/12/12 03:03 PM
That is an interesting question and one I pondered myself before my purchase. I won't be able to give you a scientific answer, I'll leave that up to people more qualified. Here's my two cents:

Depending on whether a process is very CPU intensive or not, I imagine it would be better to have more powerful CPUs. However, in Logic things are processed according to their channel, as I understand it. So every plug/VI on the same channel will be using the same CPU/Thread as a process (someone chime in if I'm wrong). For me, with the 2x4 (=8, but giving 16 threads in Logic) it's great. I tend to distribute my load in such a way that no single channel is overly burdened. I find that Logic does a pretty good job at using all threads and even with fairly large orchestral templates, I have been able to work without a hitch. (buffer @ 256. Work mostly with VIs and leave the latency the same whether I'm tracking or mixing)

So, if like me, you use Kontakt a lot, and nothing that is a humongous resources hog, than this approach may work well for you too.

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2373

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media