Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive....
      #1023796 - 12/12/12 12:59 AM
....What is no a problem. Basically pay apple £800 for a 500 gig SSD or pay Crucial £300 and fit it myself. No brainer.

I am well familiar with windows installs but never done a mac install before.

I must add if anyone cares im coming over from windows as ive never felt or noticed the 'need' to upgrade beyond XP Pro. Vista was terrible yet sheeple queued up to have the latest thing, then Windows 7 was a godsend to all the sheeple that bought Vista, yet it done nothing my humble 10 year old XP didnt do bar look nicer.
Now windows 8 is out and im not impressed with that either. Support for XP ends anytime soon leaving it open to security threats so I gotta move on to something else.

Its mad though, 10 or 16 years down the line (what is the equivalent to 400 dog years) and my humble XP machine with the 64 bit XP version does everything all these latest windows OSs do? So whats the point of buying the Vista onwardas versions again? Because were told to, ah yes that's right "baaaaaah" sheeple "baaaaaaah"

I digress

What im not so familiar with is how would I go and install the OS on the new and blank crucial drive?

I understand the new Mac OS doesn't come with an install DVD.

If I put a blank HD into the Mac how can I access the net from it to do the install? Do you have to make your own disk first? Say download the OS on my windows PC and burn that to DVDR then use that?
This makes sense to me from a windows background but as im researching people keep mentioning a USB stick is necessary.

Can anyone break down the process. You dont have to go over the bit where it starts to install and following the onscreen prompts, im sure that will be straight forward. Im more after info on how I get to that bit.

--------------------
(Sent via my iPhone and no doubt riddled with typos as a result)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Kolakube

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: Kolakube]
      #1023798 - 12/12/12 01:08 AM
You know, ive been looking into this for hours and as soon as I post stumble onto this

http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

Anyone used this? I looks like the answer to all my questions.

--------------------

DAGGILARR

Loc: Exeter, Devon.
Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: Kolakube]
      #1023806 - 12/12/12 06:59 AM
You do not need any of that if you have apple care (even if you do not you get support on a new machine) you can have them take you thru the process of creating an install usb stick over the phone, its very easy. once you have created the install usb stick you swap out your drives and again apple will guide you through the process over the phone while you install it onto your new drive.

It really is very straight forward and with an SSD will all be done and dusted in about an hour.

Be prepared for a shock to your computing culture

--------------------

Kolakube

#1023861 - 12/12/12 11:59 AM
Hallo mate. Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if apple care would even touch me seems as im upgrading ram and drive myself?

--------------------

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1023865 - 12/12/12 12:10 PM
Mighty be worth checking out the new Apple fusion drives, seem to be getting good reviews and seem to be a good compromise between speed and capacity.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Exalted Wombat

#1023866 - 12/12/12 12:11 PM
Quote Kolakube:

I must add if anyone cares im coming over from windows as ive never felt or noticed the 'need' to upgrade beyond XP Pro. Vista was terrible yet sheeple queued up to have the latest thing, then Windows 7 was a godsend to all the sheeple that bought Vista, yet it done nothing my humble 10 year old XP didnt do bar look nicer.

You're buying into a company that has lost interest in professional users in favour of selling closed-system branded toys - you don't know what "sheeple" means until you enter the Apple world! But as long as your favourite software and hardware are supported, choice of operating system makes little difference. A new setup can stimulate the creative juices. And Apple gear IS pretty :-)

TBTS

Loc: London
      #1023871 - 12/12/12 12:22 PM
If you boot any new mac with Cmd/R it will take you to internet recovery mode, which downloads the installation software.

--------------------
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

jaminem

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1023891 - 12/12/12 02:16 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote Kolakube:

You're buying into a company that has lost interest in professional users in favour of selling closed-system branded toys - you don't know what "sheeple" means until you enter the Apple world! But as long as your favourite software and hardware are supported, choice of operating system makes little difference. A new setup can stimulate the creative juices. And Apple gear IS pretty :-)

Yeah I found this statement a bit weird, especially since Apple releases a new OS way more frequently than MS, which also seems to do little more than look nicer. And 'sheeple' queuing up to have the latest thing, seems to only ever happen outside an Apple store doesn't it. There certainly are Apple fan boys, unsure I've ever met a Microsoft fan boy...?

Exalted Wombat

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: jaminem]
      #1023904 - 12/12/12 03:24 PM
Quote jaminem:

There certainly are Apple fan boys, unsure I've ever met a Microsoft fan boy...?

Yeah. We sometimes look that way, but it's only in irritated reaction to the Apple religion! Neither system is perfect, or deserving of worship.

electrotimba

#1023906 - 12/12/12 03:38 PM
I dont understand why people get warnings or get banned from the forum for calling notorious troll what he really is, but the obnoxious maniac contributing no substantial content other that his mental diarrhoea of obsessive hate for anything Apple related, is tolerated.

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1023908 - 12/12/12 03:51 PM
Click the to notify a moderator if you have a problem with a post or click on the profile of the offending poster and choose 'ignore this poster' if you don't want to read their less than useful posts.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

jaminem

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: electrotimba]
      #1023910 - 12/12/12 04:01 PM
Quote electrotimba:

I dont understand why people get warnings or get banned from the forum for calling notorious troll what he really is, but the obnoxious maniac contributing no substantial content other that his mental diarrhoea of obsessive hate for anything Apple related, is tolerated.

Steady on there old chap.

Assuming you are referring to the above posts, I think the point was really to address that the OP's reason for moving from Windows to Mac, seemed to be somewhat convoluted, since both platforms have the same issues regarding OS upgrades and the desire to upgrade? He saw fit to adhorn his post with that sentiment even though it bore no relation to his question, so a counter view is to be expected - that's what a forum is.

And if the 'hatred of Apple' statement was directed at myself, then you mis-understand. I have an iPhone and a Macbook, and a Win7 PC in the studio. I use the best tool for the job in hand without allegiance to either platform. What I find offensive is the odd idea that just because you use one platform you have to slate the other. Hence my comment.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: jaminem]
      #1023921 - 12/12/12 04:48 PM
Can you understand a system where criticism of a product is fair game, but calling a fellow-contributor an "obnoxious maniac" isn't? It's not too hard :-)

electrotimba

#1023974 - 12/12/12 07:32 PM
Thanks, I have that "man on the mission" on my ignored list since months, it is not about "posters" just one single intellectually and emotionally challenged individual

Chevytraveller

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: electrotimba]
      #1023980 - 12/12/12 07:42 PM
oh dear.. it's degrading into another, sadly predictable "platform flame war" again..

let's all play nicely children or I shall start drawing cartoons of Prophets..

What I am far more curious about is Kola's wanting to move into a computer platform at all.. I though he was resolutely anti-computer for making music?..

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1023984 - 12/12/12 07:46 PM
Quote jaminem:

unsure I've ever met a Microsoft fan boy...?

Quite, and you may well ask why!

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: Chevytraveller]
      #1023987 - 12/12/12 08:01 PM
Quote Chevytraveller:

How about a prophet cake?

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Chevytraveller

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1024004 - 12/12/12 09:48 PM
Quote Richie Royale:

Quote Chevytraveller:

How about a prophet cake?

Blasphemer!!.. The Prophet should never be depicted with so few octaves!

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

Exalted Wombat

#1024007 - 12/12/12 10:03 PM
Quote electrotimba:

Thanks, I have that "man on the mission" on my ignored list since months, it is not about "posters" just one single intellectually and emotionally challenged individual

Well, ignore him then! Simples.

DAGGILARR

Loc: Exeter, Devon.
      #1024008 - 12/12/12 10:04 PM
Never mind all that old nonsense if you want a Mac get a Mac. You will not void the warranty upgrading the HDD to an SSD but that bit will not be covered likewise if you break something doing it that will not be covered but if you don't it will. Go to the store and ask them about all this.

I do believe some of the new models are not upgradable the retina ones I believe are a fixed system so the disc and the ram it comes with are the way its going to stay.

have fun ,and merry xmas

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: Chevytraveller]
      #1024011 - 12/12/12 10:12 PM
Quote Chevytraveller:

oh dear.. it's degrading into another, sadly predictable "platform flame war" again..

No, platform wars are fun, and often informative to someone who lacks the experience to break away from the flock! Though it's noticable how the tide is turning, the dogma "Of COURSE Apple is best, you're just saying sour grapes because you can't afford one" is considerably less common now. And this IS a forum for discussing Mac issues, not an enclave for fanboys to feel safe in. Isn't it? :-)

Enough from me in this thread. But I reserve the right to educate the next sheep that strays by. (Not that I'm entirely convinced the OP isn't the biggest troll of all. He seems to kit up with new, expensive gear suspiciously frequently :-)

johnny h

Re: Buying a new macbook pro but want to upgrade the hard drive.... new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1024033 - 13/12/12 12:15 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote Chevytraveller:

No, platform wars are fun, and often informative to someone who lacks the experience to break away from the flock! Though it's noticable how the tide is turning, the dogma "Of COURSE Apple is best, you're just saying sour grapes because you can't afford one" is considerably less common now.

Well yes. Like the arguments people have about washing machines. Macs work. PCs work when you piss about with them for ages. Most people prefer the former

Kolakube

#1024034 - 13/12/12 12:17 AM
Thanks for replies guys.

Im not getting into silly debates about fanboys thanks. I know why I want to move from windows and if others think Apple is the same thing I disagree. Apple dont seem to release crap OS's like Vista and such. But I dont really want to spend hours arguing about bot all on a forum yet again. I much prefer real life but have plenty of time for reverent points. But I have made my decision for switching over to apple.

@ Chevvy,

I have had to be more realistic in my music making. I have decided to go over to the dark side. I am no stranger to Ableton Live. A piece of software I honestly think revelutionised music making much like the Akai S900 sampler decades before. But I used to alternate and go through moods where Id use an MPC and then shun the MPC and use ableton. Vinyl Junkie takes the water and calls me Flip Flop. He means one day im flip and think one way and the next.....

So, to bring you up to date on my new studio ive went for ultra compact. I mean, im just a hobby guy farting around here. I doubt ill ever make money from this. If I were going to it would have happened by now. To be honest I just like experimenting. I really dont like mixing down as im too much of a perfectionist and go on for months and generally make it worse. Im not wealthy enough to pay someone to do it so most of my productions never leave my bedroom.

I still cannot get away for with VST sound sources but have let Ableton replace my hardware samplers and FX.

I now have, Alpha Juno / Nord Rack 3 / SH101 / APC 40. Thats it.

Sold my S950 and S3000XL, MPC 5000 and Nord Lead 3 (To get above rack)

Selling (shamlesss plug) Juno 6 / 202 / XoxBox / Quadraverb / Beh V Verb / possibly my 101 (in custom white)and a XV5080

I have always been totally hardware and totally against software bar sequencing. But I actually started out on Amiga / Octamed and ProTracker. So soft sequencing and sampling were how I started.

I will never like nor want to use VST sound sources though. I personally have to physically relate to an instrument. Mind the same isnt true for FX live verbs and delays and such but I much prefer hands on EQ.

--------------------

xFasterMikeyH

#1024307 - 14/12/12 01:45 PM
Quote Kolakube:

Apple dont seem to release crap OS's like Vista and such.

However they do release OSes far more frequently (9 in 12 years), which can cause issues if you want a new toy that doesn't work with your version of the OS. FWIW I'm a happy Mac user who uses a Win7 VM for my day job and has a couple of linux boxes knocking about as well. I'm not advocating one platform or another.

Kolakube

#1024969 - 18/12/12 08:55 PM
Sure, no one system is perfect.

But come on, my 64 bit version of XP runs "EVERYTHING" modern day Win 8 runs some 10 or 15 years later. I mean, what are people paying for here? 15 years in computer times is a loooooong time. Jeez 15 years in people times is a loooong. time. 15 years prior to XP being released in 2001 we were all on ZX Spectrums!!!!!!! Now its fair to say ZX Specturm vs XP pro = an amazing development path. But since then nothing at all.

I find Mac OS comes with decent high quality apps that with windows are sold as separate products. So yeah, different incarnations of the OS have more up to date apps and such. I just feel your getting something from apple more than fancier graphics.

Seriously, XP 64 bit vs Vista. XP wins outright. 7 and 8 are just the same just laid out differently. Im certain Windows will tell you this code is different and it operates a different way. Well, ok, but it still does the exact same stuff as XP to an end user, and I honestly couldnt give a hoot how it looks under the bonnet.

But then again, if sheeple want to keep lining the pockets of these companies then nothing will ever change. I remember my mate banging on about how superb windows 7 was. I did ask what it did that my XP didnt do and he had no clue. Sheeple need to think more rather than just be spoon fed marketing crap and turn back into people.

I am not saying apple isnt full of faults too or any corperation for that matter. I mean I hate how your locked into iTunes if you have an iPhone. Why Can't I select an app for my music? Probably because it hasent got the iTunes store attached to it. (I dont want to open this paragraph into a debate, im just making a point im not an Apple fanboy)

--------------------

johnny h

#1025094 - 19/12/12 03:17 PM
Quote Kolakube:

Sure, no one system is perfect.

But come on, my 64 bit version of XP runs "EVERYTHING" modern day Win 8 runs some 10 or 15 years later. I mean, what are people paying for here? 15 years in computer times is a loooooong time. Jeez 15 years in people times is a loooong. time. 15 years prior to XP being released in 2001 we were all on ZX Spectrums!!!!!!! Now its fair to say ZX Specturm vs XP pro = an amazing development path. But since then nothing at all.

I find Mac OS comes with decent high quality apps that with windows are sold as separate products. So yeah, different incarnations of the OS have more up to date apps and such. I just feel your getting something from apple more than fancier graphics.

Seriously, XP 64 bit vs Vista. XP wins outright. 7 and 8 are just the same just laid out differently. Im certain Windows will tell you this code is different and it operates a different way. Well, ok, but it still does the exact same stuff as XP to an end user, and I honestly couldnt give a hoot how it looks under the bonnet.

But then again, if sheeple want to keep lining the pockets of these companies then nothing will ever change. I remember my mate banging on about how superb windows 7 was. I did ask what it did that my XP didnt do and he had no clue. Sheeple need to think more rather than just be spoon fed marketing crap and turn back into people.

I am not saying apple isnt full of faults too or any corperation for that matter. I mean I hate how your locked into iTunes if you have an iPhone. Why Can't I select an app for my music? Probably because it hasent got the iTunes store attached to it. (I dont want to open this paragraph into a debate, im just making a point im not an Apple fanboy)

Windows 7 looks a lot nicer than XP. It renders fonts much better and generally its a more pleasant experience to use it. Also there are a few useful tweaks like the taskbar and a few other things that were 'inspired' by OSX.

As for the built in apps and general functionality its still stuck firmly in the 20th century.

Kolakube

#1025524 - 22/12/12 12:53 AM
Yeah I do fully agree Johnny it looks nicer. But that's it for over a decade's worth? Yet no one questions this and they gladly line up to buy it. Even Vista that was utter pants.

I sometimes wonder in companies sold ice would a flock of Eskimos queue up to pay for some?

As said, 15 years in computer times got us from the Spectrum to XP. The following 15 years got us from XP to a better looking XP.

--------------------

johnny h

#1025535 - 22/12/12 07:07 AM
There's very little choice really. If you don't want to buy a mac you need to buy windows and there is no alternative, other than linux, which is a joke outside programmer / server circles.

Quote Kolakube:

Yeah I do fully agree Johnny it looks nicer. But that's it for over a decade's worth? Yet no one questions this and they gladly line up to buy it. Even Vista that was utter pants.

I sometimes wonder in companies sold ice would a flock of Eskimos queue up to pay for some?

As said, 15 years in computer times got us from the Spectrum to XP. The following 15 years got us from XP to a better looking XP.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6887

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media