Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
iBooks like app for Mac OS complete with page turning animations?
      #1025525 - 22/12/12 12:57 AM
Granted this isn't a music question.

But seems as Apple are never going to release iBooks for Mac OSX, is there anything similar?

I really cannot get away with reading from anything that doesn't emulate a book. I know this may sound nuts to some but when im reading a book or a mag like eSOS I really want to be as close to the real thing as poss. Otherwise its like im reading a word doc or something and its puts me in the wrong frame of mind.

--------------------
(Sent via my iPhone and no doubt riddled with typos as a result)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: iBooks like app for Mac OS complete with page turning animations? new [Re: Kolakube]
      #1025533 - 22/12/12 03:39 AM
A quick search of the app store revealed this Absolutely no idea as to how good it is, the review is poor............

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Kolakube

Re: iBooks like app for Mac OS complete with page turning animations? new [Re: Kolakube]
      #1025563 - 22/12/12 11:26 AM
lol - thats some review it gets.

Quote:

This is absolute crap and that is being very generous to this application. This application should be yanked from the App store simply because of false advertisement. I doubt any EPUB or any book you try to view looks anything like the supplied screen shots. It doesn't format any of the text correctlly (I've tried 20 books and just got tired of hoping it would recognize and format any of them correctly). I thought this would be a better solution that Calibre (which is free) but absolutely Calibre is much better even with its major limitations. THIS SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS.

Ill give Calibre a go. But im not sure it has the page animations I require.

--------------------

Kolakube

#1025566 - 22/12/12 11:36 AM
Couple of images to demo what im after. This looks perfect but were just grabbed from the net. Im guessing this is iBooks as the image states iPad top left.

Seems there are many of these on mobile devices such as iPads and Androids but laptops are a no market seemingly.

Suerly more than me could see why people would like something like iBooks on a Mac? I mean wasn't Mountain Lion suppose to bring all these apps to Mac anyhow?

Wish I was a programmer, there is a right gap in the market here.

--------------------

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1025625 - 22/12/12 10:05 PM
I think there's a free version of that crap programme - but I'm not recommending it!

Yep, I guess the reason these apps have been developed for tablets is because there's a strong market to sell books for tablets and have them feel as much like the real thing as possible - on a tablet.

I suppose you've considered Keynote? You could set up a page flick transition, but it seems like a lot of work.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Kolakube

#1025637 - 23/12/12 12:17 AM
Thanks bob.

No I dont want to have to set things up. Rather just pay for an app that has this already.

Shame iBooks isn't out for Mountain Lion. I thought cross apple platforms was the whole idea for Mountain Lion.

--------------------

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1025807 - 24/12/12 04:41 PM
It's maybe not the perfect reader but IBooks Author-free from appstore might be what you're looking for....and you can make your own books.......I Think it can read your iBooks library....

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

DAGGILARR

Loc: Exeter, Devon.
      #1025821 - 24/12/12 06:56 PM
There is one called simply 'book reader' HERE works well enough, not highly animated but works with gestures, and preview is fine for PDF's, use 2 page view.

--------------------

Andy__D
posting's fun

Loc: Denver, CO
      #1025864 - 25/12/12 08:07 PM
One thing you could try is the Blio eReader: (www.blio.com), which does the page turn animation thing, and takes as it's input format XPS documents: if you've got a PC, you can convert other docs (like PDF, so long as they're not protected) by printing them through the Microsoft XPS Writer printer driver which gets installed on Vista and later (I believe), and which preserves page layout. Not sure if this'd work for you, as it does involve a little bit of conversion, though.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3641

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media