Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
discospring

iPad/IOS 101 + advice sought
      #1028010 - 10/01/13 09:54 PM
I'm soon to replace my white macbook and am considering spending half my funds on a new iPad with the compromise of buying an older used macbook instead of a new one.

I'm making music for films and need a stronger computer for orchestral software. But for sound design I was about to invest in Omnisphere, an effects suite and a granular synth. For the same price I could have a touch screen and an endless stream of innovative apps each costing a few quid. Yes I've been hibernating. I'd appreciate any opinions. What would you do? Some questions:

Does IOS software sound quality equal OSX software? eg. Animoog vs Gforce Minimonsta?

If so, why do apps cost a few quid but their OSX equivalents cost hundreds?

Will IOS apps ever gain the functionality of plug-ins, ie. recording parameter changes between an ipad App and laptop DAW?

The pointblank tutorials I've seen just send the iPad's headphone out into the laptop DAW. Is there not USB integration? eg. are cloud hosts really the best way to transfer files?

Is there a recent version of this excellent article here? http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun11/articles/ios.htm

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
Re: iPad/IOS 101 + advice sought new [Re: discospring]
      #1028019 - 10/01/13 10:53 PM
I'd try another direction......

The Mac mini is about half the price of a MacBook Pro ....even a newer old model.....and is much the same spec.....£499 from apple now and would be an equal-ish kinda upgrade as a nearly new MacBook Pro.....(I don't think you'd get a second hand MacBook...they haven't made MacBooks for a while....)

And you can pick up a monitor/mouse/keyboard very cheaply...wireless or USB

So you could buy a Mac mini and iPad for the price of a new MacBook Pro (you'd save £100 which would buy you a monitor....nearly!...and mice and keyboards are relatively cheap).....you'd basically have a free iPad!!!!!

It sounds as if you have already budgeted for your sound card mice etc and other studio stuff (or already have them) and the Mac mini will fit in fine.....especially if you don't need to be especially mobile.....the Mac mini is very small and portable tho.

As for The iPad and apps there are interesting things...and apps are beginning to be useful as replacement AU instruments...thanks to the new audiobus app and core audio/midi integration......and some controller apps are available....but IPad isnt and was never meant to be a computer replacement...and there is always a use for high processor and ram usage that only a "pc" format can give - and the higher end programmes...like logic etc....

........at least at the present time

Edited by Wease (10/01/13 11:04 PM)

TBTS

Loc: London
Re: iPad/IOS 101 + advice sought new [Re: Wease]
      #1028037 - 11/01/13 01:59 AM
Quote Wease:

I'd try another direction......

The Mac mini is about half the price of a MacBook Pro ....even a newer old model.....and is much the same spec.....£499 from apple now and would be an equal-ish kinda upgrade as a nearly new MacBook Pro.....(I don't think you'd get a second hand MacBook...they haven't made MacBooks for a while....)

And you can pick up a monitor/mouse/keyboard very cheaply...wireless or USB

So you could buy a Mac mini and iPad for the price of a new MacBook Pro (you'd save £100 which would buy you a monitor....nearly!...and mice and keyboards are relatively cheap).....you'd basically have a free iPad!!!!!

It sounds as if you have already budgeted for your sound card mice etc and other studio stuff (or already have them) and the Mac mini will fit in fine.....especially if you don't need to be especially mobile.....the Mac mini is very small and portable tho.

As for The iPad and apps there are interesting things...and apps are beginning to be useful as replacement AU instruments...thanks to the new audiobus app and core audio/midi integration......and some controller apps are available....but IPad isnt and was never meant to be a computer replacement...and there is always a use for high processor and ram usage that only a "pc" format can give - and the higher end programmes...like logic etc....

........at least at the present time

All very good advice.

--------------------
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

Frog

#1028212 - 11/01/13 10:31 PM
There are a few quite good ipad apps at the moment and with a little creativity USB interface is available and works well. The camera connection kit allows you to conect interfaces (you may need a powered hub). Auria is a well spec'ed DAW for the ipad that's getting some good reports and you can use iTunes to transfer some work-in--progress projects from apps like garageband between ipad and mac.

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #1028337 - 12/01/13 11:43 PM
Anything you knock up in GarageBand for iPad can be imported into Logic 9 for mixing and further overdubs and instruments. Handy.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

G-Doubleyou

#1028778 - 15/01/13 06:38 PM
I have an Alesis iO Dock, allows me to use the iPad like an external midi module.

Just starting to explore the available amp modelers.

The Fairlight emulator,and Animoog sound good to my ears.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

discospring

#1029820 - 22/01/13 09:27 PM
Thanks for these ideas. I'm off to the apple store to quiz the music genius before i decide...

G-Doubleyou

#1029834 - 22/01/13 11:13 PM
Quote discospring:

Thanks for these ideas. I'm off to the apple store to quiz the music genius before i decide...

I wouldn't be looking in an Apple Store for a music genius!

Checkout http://www.idesignsound.com/ for everything musical in the iOS world.

--------------------
G-Dub

Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
Re: iPad/IOS 101 + advice sought new [Re: G-Doubleyou]
      #1029860 - 23/01/13 03:49 AM
Quote G-Doubleyou:

Quote discospring:

I wouldn't be looking in an Apple Store for a music genius!

Checkout http://www.idesignsound.com/ for everything musical in the iOS world.

lol, so i found this pair of "parrot" headphones on display in the mac store, theyre like $499.. i asked the girl wearing the genius shirt what the impedance was and whether theyd be good for production or if theyre just for regular use, so she went to the shelf, grabbed the box, lurked the back of it for about 2 minutes, then said she didnt know.. embarassing moment for apple imho.

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Wimek

Loc: Holland
Re: iPad/IOS 101 + advice sought new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1029884 - 23/01/13 08:34 AM
Quote Skerrick:

lol, so i found this pair of "parrot" headphones on display in the mac store, theyre like $499.. i asked the girl wearing the genius shirt what the impedance was and whether theyd be good for production or if theyre just for regular use, so she went to the shelf, grabbed the box, lurked the back of it for about 2 minutes, then said she didnt know.. embarassing moment for apple imho.

I use Macs since the early 90's and used to buy them from MacSupport, a "Premium Reseller" (not sure this is the correct name though...). MacSupport was a store mainly for professional users. They had excellent, knowledgeable people working there, I always got good answers on my questions and the service could not be better.

Some years ago, when Apple became booming selling iPods and iPhones, this shop was bought by a large company and is now (under another name) part of a very large chain of shops here in Holland. Their shop assistants do have the basic knowledge and help you in a friendly way but they lack more extended knowledge about specific application of Apple products... Small example: my brother wanted advise about a new laser printer for his company, the answer was: "We only sell this printer over here, we cannot help you... if you want something else..."

My conclusion: Most shops selling Apple products sell to a mass market and pay too little attention to professional users. However, now and then I come across more knowledgeable shop assistants, unfortunately these seam to be the exceptions...

My message to Apple: Please pay more attention to your professional customers

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
Re: iPad/IOS 101 + advice sought new [Re: G-Doubleyou]
      #1030214 - 24/01/13 06:36 PM
Quote G-Doubleyou:

I have an Alesis iO Dock, allows me to use the iPad like an external midi module.

I've been looking at something similar......how are you finding the alesis??

As for advice....I'd actually go down to a music shop that resells apple for apple music advice....but

iOS is a little different....you might actually find more advice on these forums than anywhere else.....I think there is a sticky on this section that relates to iOS apps for music....from real users

The only cost to the op is that you should also add any I sights you may have!!!

Me....I find the iPad a useful sketch pad with GarageBand, an interesting alternative controller with touchosc, alchemy and ac controller apps and a useful sound source with the likes of animoog tenori-I and others.....the most interesting app development seems to be as a specific controller for "main" daw instruments etc....alchemy being one I use.....

I'm also finding that the iPad is becoming more my tinternet, document work, photo organiser etc and my mac has much less, but more focused work (music and film editing)....

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

G-Doubleyou

Re: iPad/IOS 101 + advice sought new [Re: Wease]
      #1030604 - 26/01/13 08:04 PM
Quote Wease:

Quote G-Doubleyou:

I've been looking at something similar......how are you finding the alesis??

As for advice....I'd actually go down to a music shop that resells apple for apple music advice....but

iOS is a little different....you might actually find more advice on these forums than anywhere else.....I think there is a sticky on this section that relates to iOS apps for music....from real users

The only cost to the op is that you should also add any I sights you may have!!!

Me....I find the iPad a useful sketch pad with GarageBand, an interesting alternative controller with touchosc, alchemy and ac controller apps and a useful sound source with the likes of animoog tenori-I and others.....the most interesting app development seems to be as a specific controller for "main" daw instruments etc....alchemy being one I use.....

I'm also finding that the iPad is becoming more my tinternet, document work, photo organiser etc and my mac has much less, but more focused work (music and film editing)....

Great for interfacing instruments and mics, getting midi and audio to your computer.

A/D is only 16bit, not great but OK.

Works OK as a sketch pad, not really part of myt DAW workflow.

I'm just starting to explore some of the amp modelers, to my DAW.

--------------------
G-Dub

blue manga

#1030622 - 27/01/13 12:18 AM
Doing serious work on iPad just isn't for me, personally - but I did just notice this http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/iS202.aspx

ManFromGlass

Loc: In the woods in Canada
Re: iPad/IOS 101 + advice sought new [Re: blue manga]
      #1030676 - 27/01/13 02:17 PM
I agree - once you have been working with logic and get it under your belt the iPad is not as efficient as a composing/mixing/production tool. It is fun to come up with a track or two as it gets you out of your "logic" way of thinking and this is a good thing. That being said my buddy is recording his EP completely on his older iPad in gband and we will dump it into my computer and finish the mixes here. I have more fun tools in Logic. The point though, is to be true to his sonic vision so how he has set up his mixes in gband will be the guide. The tools on the iPad to get to a final mix stage are ok but not as integrated as they are in a full scale DAW. In other words you will be importing tracks from one app into another and on and on. You may like this way of working and good for you. In the end the point is to get those tracks finished and move on to the next.
Eric

Exalted Wombat

#1030680 - 27/01/13 02:31 PM
Quote discospring:

Whatever you decide to buy, don't base it on advice from the Apple Store!

The iPad is portable, and can do fun things. But you'd be foolish to think you could usefully split your workload between one and a proper computer.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5007

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media