Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
hellblazer881

East West composers collection 1tb hard drive issues
      #1028996 - 16/01/13 11:57 PM
Hey all,

Ok so today my East West 1tb hard drive arrived which contains several east west VST plug ins but unfortunately I cant seem to get my macbook pro to read the hard drive.

Basically everytime I connect the EW hard drive and turn it on, my macbook pro comes up with a message saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" ...someone on another forum suggest adding partitions but this would wipe the drive and several hundreds of pounds worth of software :/.

Hope someone can help because im dying to use this software!!.

thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
chris...

Re: East West composers collection 1tb hard drive issues new [Re: hellblazer881]
      #1029064 - 17/01/13 01:35 PM
Sounds like either the drive is broken, or the data on it is corrupt.

Not sure there's much you can try, other than perhaps a different cable. Or try it on another computer if practical.

Other than that, you need to contact EW.

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: East West composers collection 1tb hard drive issues new [Re: hellblazer881]
      #1029082 - 17/01/13 02:39 PM
Contact EW or the seller as it sounds like you have a PC formatted drive. I don't know if they offer it in two systems, but seems like you have something you can't use so will need to go back.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1029083 - 17/01/13 02:50 PM
Quote hellblazer881:

Basically everytime I connect the EW hard drive and turn it on, my macbook pro comes up with a message saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

Can you read the drive on a PC? Find someone with a laptop or PC and give it a go. Given the size of the drive it is possible that it is formatted with the Windows NTFS format, which Mac OSX systems can't read natively. If so, a PC will read it straight away...

If that is the case then there are both paid and free utilities for reading NTFS drives on OSX, such as THIS ONE that will allow you to read the drive directly on a Mac if it is an NTFS drive.

If the PC can't read it either then it could well be a defective drive.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

chris...

Re: East West composers collection 1tb hard drive issues new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1029090 - 17/01/13 03:31 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Can you read the drive on a PC? Find someone with a laptop or PC and give it a go.

Sounds worth a go. As might trying another Mac.

Quote:

Given the size of the drive it is possible that it is formatted with the Windows NTFS format, which Mac OSX systems can't read natively.

Actually, OSX can natively mount NTFS - but restricted to read-only. Some 3rd party tool (or a little hackery) is needed for read-write. But the OP doesn't seem to be getting that far.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: East West composers collection 1tb hard drive issues new [Re: chris...]
      #1029091 - 17/01/13 03:34 PM
Quote chris...:

OSX can natively mount NTFS - but read-only.

Ah ha! My mistake -- I didn't think it could see NTFS at all. Thanks for the clarification.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

hellblazer881

#1029145 - 17/01/13 11:02 PM
Hey thanks for the replies,

I have tried the drive on an imac and i get the exact same message! could be possible it has been formatted for a PC but when I connect the hard disk enclosure with the sata hd inside it, disk utilities recognises the drive as it comes up with the name of the drive and so on but doesnt allow me to access the drive?

I am awaiting a response from EW atm!

Ducasse

Loc: Oakland, California
      #1029147 - 17/01/13 11:11 PM
It wouldn't hurt to test the drive enclosure with another drive that you are sure is working...

--------------------
http://www.christopherferreira.com

hellblazer881

#1029148 - 17/01/13 11:14 PM
Well the 1TB sata drive is the only external HD I have tbh lol.

hellblazer881

#1029167 - 18/01/13 02:11 AM
Ok so, I have a reply from East West tech support moments ago and they seem to think it could be the disk enclosure that is the problem and of course I did think "hmm a company not thinking it could be their equipment that is defective" and they then went on to recommend HD enclosures that have been tested with the 1tb sata HD such as this one...

http://www.macally.com/EN/?page_id=3686

Ducasse

Loc: Oakland, California
      #1029171 - 18/01/13 05:31 AM
I made my suggestion because I have had problems with enclosures before. Do you have a friend with a MacPro you could pop it into to test? Otherwise, waiting for e new enclosure is no fun...

--------------------
http://www.christopherferreira.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2851

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media