Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
VMWare Fusion
      #1029536 - 21/01/13 01:38 AM
I was thinking of working through a load of old Cakewalk Sonar Projects on my Mac to see if there were any worthwhile ideas in there to save.

Anybody using VMWare fusion with Audio products?

Reg

--------------------
Google less; read more!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
electrotimba

Re: VMWare Fusion new [Re: RegressiveRock]
      #1029550 - 21/01/13 09:09 AM
It work OK for simple things like my online taxes (no support for Mac) and "Tag&Rename" (nothing even close for Mac) but when I tried Sony Vegas last week .... I dont think will waste my time again trying to use it with any audio or video. BTW. EVen simple task like renaming bunch of files takes ages.

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
Re: VMWare Fusion new [Re: electrotimba]
      #1029552 - 21/01/13 09:32 AM
Quote electrotimba:

It work OK for simple things like my online taxes (no support for Mac) and "Tag&Rename" (nothing even close for Mac) but when I tried Sony Vegas last week .... I dont think will waste my time again trying to use it with any audio or video. BTW. EVen simple task like renaming bunch of files takes ages.

Mmm,

I have an old Intel iMac hanging around, maybe I should install Windows on that.

Reg

--------------------
Google less; read more!

Jorge

Loc: New York, NY
      #1029609 - 21/01/13 04:07 PM
On my non-music laptop I have run 32 bit Windows XP Pro for years on a 2008 black Macbook with 2 GB RAM under Boot Camp. I have never tried running a DAW on that computer but for MS Office it runs Windows as well as any PC laptop I have used. I chose boot camp rather than VMWare Fusion or Parallels because it lets you use more RAM for the OS that is loaded rather than splitting the RAM between the 2 OSs. However, with any of the options, it seems the Mac OS places more limitations on how much RAM Windows programs can recognize and use than a native Windows PC would. I am also interested to see if anyone here has successfully run a DAW in Windows under VMWare Fusion, Parallels or BootCamp. It would seem unlikely to be well behaved for anything with more than a few tracks give RAM limitations.

electrotimba

#1029641 - 21/01/13 09:24 PM
I think VM is fine for little tasks but for audio or video bootcamp is the way to go. I dont mind 3 Gb limit of XP - Vegas will work better than Premiere with 16 Gb RAM - even though it is getting better, it is slow compared to Vegas. I understand that I cannot install Bootcamp on partitioned disc (have 3 partitions - OSX, samples and projects). What would be the easiest way to install Bootcamp? Backup then wipe the HDD? Can I have install OS from Timemachine or have to do clean install?

Jorge

Loc: New York, NY
Re: VMWare Fusion new [Re: electrotimba]
      #1029643 - 21/01/13 10:01 PM
I am a PC person and know very little about Macs, but Boot Camp is built into the Mac OS X, you don't need to install it. You do need to purchase a complete version of Windows, Win 7 if you are using Boot Camp 4 in Lion or Mountain Lion. You should be able to get basic instructions on Boot Camp Windows installation from the Mac website, although in true Apple style nearly all Mac support people will plead ignorance about anything technical that is Windows related. Essentially you are on your own for any really detailed or difficult questions about the interactions between Mac OS and Windows. This lack of support is the main reason I have not used Windows more on the Mac.
Try this website, it answers some basic questions.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818#1
Maybe someone here actually has tried this with a DAW and can provide more detailed information.

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #1029688 - 22/01/13 10:19 AM
Many, many moons ago, I used my Fusion (v1 or v2 - I can't remember) based Win2k (showing my age here) VM to try running an early version of Reaper. Obviously I couldn't use any ASIO so it just used the bog standard windows sound card driver, but it did run. It was useable up to a point. Once I gave it over a gig of ram, it was ok - just sluggish.

This was on a Core2Duo iMac (2ghz) - I should really move the VM over to my MBP as that is an early i7, has more ram and I think a relatively recent version of Fusion (either 3 or 4).

The only thing to note is that it wasn't that windows was sluggish, just the Reaper app itself. But then that does a lot of real time work and I'm not sure how good a vm is for that kind of thing.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

electrotimba

Re: VMWare Fusion new [Re: Dave B]
      #1029752 - 22/01/13 02:25 PM
Quote Dave B:

Many, many moons ago, I used my Fusion (v1 or v2 - I can't remember) based Win2k (showing my age here) VM to try running an early version of Reaper. Obviously I couldn't use any ASIO so it just used the bog standard windows sound card driver, but it did run.

No idea how it works but I was surprised to hear Win chime on boot, coming from my RME USB. Never installed any drivers on the XP (with ML & VM ver.4), neither intended to use RME on VM XP, just forgot that it was connected while starting XP. Did not check in Vegas audio preferences what shows up as audio device, will do it next time.

G-Doubleyou

#1029836 - 22/01/13 11:23 PM
For best performance you have to use Bootcamp, VM has to communicate through core audio to get to your hardware.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2913

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media