Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
basilfawlty

Loc: UK
Alternative to Cinema display
      #1029941 - 23/01/13 12:34 PM
Hi All,
I'm looking to replace a couple of old 17" screens with a nice big shiny new one for our 2011 mac pro.
I've seen a couple of posts suggesting a non-apple screen, and also a recent one about using a flat screen TV (though I don't need to be able to watch TV.)

Basically I need something that I can use for DAW duties, about 3' from my face, with maximum real-estate and resolution for the £. The budget is as close to £300 as poss.

Does anyone have advice as to what the best bang for buck screen would be for this purpose?

Many Thanks,
Baz

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in this world - 9 who understand binary; the rest are like me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
DAGGILARR

Loc: Exeter, Devon.
Re: Alternative to Cinema display new [Re: basilfawlty]
      #1029950 - 23/01/13 01:10 PM
Look up Dell ultra sharp these are IPS monitors that are very good and can be picked up for about £150 or so on the bay

This is amazon new

--------------------

basilfawlty

Loc: UK
Re: Alternative to Cinema display new [Re: DAGGILARR]
      #1029955 - 23/01/13 01:24 PM
Thanks for this. Now I'm wondering if it'd be better to go for two of these or one 27" version - the two smaller ones would result in more real estate for less money, but then there are potential connectivity issues: the mac tower has a dual head graphics card but (IIRC) one port is VGA and the other is DVI. (I'm not at the studio so can't check!) If this is the case would I be looking at potenitally running the two screen option at different respective resolutions / picture quality?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in this world - 9 who understand binary; the rest are like me.

chris...

#1029978 - 23/01/13 02:37 PM
Make sure you're clear about what connections will be used.

The 2010 Mac Pro here has connections for three displays. 2 x Mini DisplayPort and 1 x DVI. I imagine yours will be the same.

No Mac sold in many years has VGA.

Check the screens you're looking at have Mini DisplayPort (or more likely, regular DisplayPort).

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #1029981 - 23/01/13 02:51 PM
I agree with chris, but either way the connector used doesn't determine the maximum resolution available. The capabilities of the graphic card do. BTW DVI has VGA output available via an adaptor.

CC

--------------------
Back away from the concertina and no-one gets hurt
Mr Punch's Studio

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1794

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media