Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Metrobot

Thunderbolt SSD worth the cash? Get Thunderbolt HHD? or stick with firewire?
      #1030951 - 29/01/13 12:33 AM
I'm looking at buying La Cie Rugged thunderbolt for all my current audio files and samples.
Are the higher speeds that SSD offers worth the extra expense?

Here they say thunderbolt is 12X faster than firewire:
http://www.which.co.uk/technology/computing/guides/thunderbolt-and-usb-3-0 -explained/

Here they say Firewire 800 is equal to approximately 800 Mb/s (megabits per second), since there are 8 bits in a byte, then this would be 100 MB/s (megabytes per second).
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=690158

Here they say The LaCie Rugged SSD offers up transfer rates as high as 380MB/sec and the HDD variants claim up to 110MB/sec.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/25/lacie-rugged-usb-3-thunderbolt-drive-pr icing-ship-details/

So does that mean HHD thunderbolt drives are hardly any faster than firewire? an extra 10 MB?? if so is this because the disc can only spin so fast?

A Lacie rugged 1TB HHD is £140 while a 256 GB SSD drive is £236.
I thought The HHD look pretty fast already until i started researching. Now I don't know my thunderbolt from my ass.

Can somebody shed some light on this?

Cheers and kind regards
-Matt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
chris...

Re: Thunderbolt SSD worth the cash? Get Thunderbolt HHD? or stick with firewire? new [Re: Metrobot]
      #1030958 - 29/01/13 01:54 AM
Quote Metrobot:

So does that mean HHD thunderbolt drives are hardly any faster than firewire? an extra 10 MB?? if so is this because the disc can only spin so fast?

Your 110MB/s figure sounds plausible for a single HD.

Quote:

I think you need to decide that yourself, according to how much you want the faster storage performance.

Metrobot

Re: Thunderbolt SSD worth the cash? Get Thunderbolt HHD? or stick with firewire? new [Re: chris...]
      #1030972 - 29/01/13 08:34 AM

I think you need to decide that yourself, according to how much you want the faster storage performance.

I've had plenty of "disc is to slow" error messages so i'm leaning towards an SSD. Have you had any experience using one? If so, was there a significant increase in performance? Right now i'm just using the internal drive on my macbook pro for everything.

blue manga

Re: Thunderbolt SSD worth the cash? Get Thunderbolt HHD? or stick with firewire? new [Re: Metrobot]
      #1030976 - 29/01/13 09:27 AM
been on SSD internal for year and a half now (500GB in MBP) - would very much not want to return to HD.. although I will say - Apple had to replace the SSD as it went down.. the first disk I have ever had go down..

Everyone says they should be more reliable..

But other than that - performance is a whole new level..

xFasterMikeyH

#1030989 - 29/01/13 11:28 AM
Quote Metrobot:

I'm looking at buying La Cie Rugged thunderbolt for all my current audio files and samples.

Are you experiencing any problems with whatever you are using at the moment (presumably non-ssd)? If so, what speed is/are the drives you are currently using?

I use an external USB, 5400RMP drive for my audio (for Logic Pro), but my demands are _very_ light.

Quote blue manga:

been on SSD internal for year and a half now (500GB in MBP) - would very much not want to return to HD ... .performance is a whole new level..

This has been very much my experience for my internal drive as well. It runs my OS/Applications and a Windows VM that I use daily for work. I can honestly say that if I hadn't upgraded to an SSD I would have had to have bought a much more powerful MBP for my day-job. I run a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo machine with 8GB of RAM and the addition of the SSD has improved the VM performance beyond recognition. However, that is a very different scenario from the OP's.

FMH

tim_obrien

#1031232 - 30/01/13 07:31 PM
Quote Metrobot:

Firewire and Thunderbolt are only data pipes (think of them in terms of water pipes)

The tbolt pipe is 12x faster than firewire, but the drives themselves can only go so fast.
A 7200rpm drive can stream several hundred tracks simultaneously.
Firewire can keep up with that.
It's when you start adding on tons of other stuff (displays, other drives, convolution boxes, etc) that tbolt shines as a BIGGER PIPE.
It wont make the drives go FASTER....

BTW: It's always been common for the really really big orchestrators/film producers to use multiple data drives so that more and more tracks can be streamed faster than a single drive can keep up.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2847

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media