Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mick C

Loc: Manchester, UK.
Gobbler
      #1039321 - 21/03/13 11:33 PM
Hi All,
Has anyone used Gobbler - if so then what's been your experience of it?

It was reviewed by SOS in 2011 but that was before it was properly launched.
I'm thinking of using it not only for storage but more for sharing sessions with collaborators.

Thanks
Mick

--------------------
Mick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
electrotimba

Re: Gobbler new [Re: Mick C]
      #1039344 - 22/03/13 08:42 AM
Tried it, gave up-too slow, compared to dropbox or anything else of the kind.

johnnyjohnjohn

#1040386 - 29/03/13 01:11 AM
(Let me preface this with - I do not work for Gobbler and they don't pay me a dime for anything)

It depends on what you're doing. I wouldn't use dropbox for a few reasons, the two main reasons being: (1) I don't want somebody else's work to replace mine, and (2) I don't want to keep any sessions on my internal hard drives.

The size also comes into play. I'm not sure what your session sizes run and they might not be that large but mine will be a minimum of 1 gig and that's if it's a very short (1 minute and under) cue. When collaborating on larger sessions (1 - 10 gigs for music, larger for scores) then dropbox is definitely not something I'd recommend.

I use Gobbler for sending large files or sessions since they are already uploaded and it takes no time on my end. I always have Gobbler running, the moment a session is created I have Gobbler start backing it up. This is my full-time career and I can't afford the setbacks of losing sessions or crashes. Therefore, the files are always uploading whenever Pro Tools isn't in the foreground so when I do open Gobbler the files are already uploaded and ready to go. If I want to send one then the wait time for me is null. Not to mention that any duplicate files will be ignored thereby saving time when sharing.

Personally, Gobbler uploads faster for me than Dropbox does as well. I usually have several things uploading at once: Gobbler, Dropbox (for mp3 bounced mixes before i take a break), Crash Plan, and Transmit when uploading deliverables to an FTP... Gobbler usually leads the bunch in bandwidth.

I think most people don't get Gobbler yet and that's the only reason it's not on every machine. I see Gobbler as being the next DigiDelivery. So, yes, I strongly recommend Gobbler. I've been using it for years now and I don't want to be without it ever again.

chris...

Re: Gobbler new [Re: johnnyjohnjohn]
      #1040392 - 29/03/13 04:44 AM
Quote johnnyjohnjohn:

Personally, Gobbler uploads faster for me than Dropbox does as well.

Hi,

Just on this specific point, for most people, the limiting factor is broadband upload speed - you can't go faster than that!

Quote:

I usually have several things uploading at once: Gobbler, Dropbox (for mp3 bounced mixes before i take a break), Crash Plan, and Transmit when uploading deliverables to an FTP... Gobbler usually leads the bunch in bandwidth.

Ah, so I think you're saying that when multiple apps are competing for limited bandwidth, Gobbler hogs more than its fair share. That's interesting, but I'm not sure everyone would necessarily regard it as a plus. Would you be even happier if Gobbler grabbed 90% of your bandwidth, thus slowing the other apps to a crawl ? 99% ?

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1040396 - 29/03/13 07:03 AM
I gave Gobbler a try, but I didn't see any practical advantage over Dropbox, which is free and lets me decide what and when to sync.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

johnnyjohnjohn

Re: Gobbler new [Re: chris...]
      #1040784 - 01/04/13 05:53 PM
Quote:

Just on this specific point, for most people, the limiting factor is broadband upload speed - you can't go faster than that!

Ah, so I think you're saying that when multiple apps are competing for limited bandwidth, Gobbler hogs more than its fair share. That's interesting, but I'm not sure everyone would necessarily regard it as a plus. Would you be even happier if Gobbler grabbed 90% of your bandwidth, thus slowing the other apps to a crawl ? 99% ?

I'm sorry, it's hard to hear you over all the sarcasm.

chris...

#1040820 - 01/04/13 09:34 PM
Hi - sorry 'bout that!

Can you clarify - I take it both gobbler and dropbox can max out the available bandwidth on their own, but, if used simultaneously, then gobbler uploads faster ?

Thanks!

johnnyjohnjohn

Re: Gobbler new [Re: chris...]
      #1040855 - 02/04/13 06:56 AM
If I were to upload a file to Dropbox and Gobbler—one after the other, not simultaneously—I have experienced better upload times on Gobbler. Don't ask me to explain because I really don't have a clue why this happens and may be particular to my circumstances.

I do understand that bandwidth will bottleneck when several services are in use, for that reason I have changed the preferences of several programs to ensure Gobbler takes precedence. If I loose a few hours work I may miss a deadline and one missed deadline can kill so Gobbler always takes gets priority on bandwidth.

Regarding the earlier CPU reference: I'm not sure where that comes into play because my CPU on this machine is unaffected but there is a sizable amount of memory on this one.

Back to the main topic at hand: I backup every session to Gobbler regardless if I'm going to send a single file to anybody. If I do need to send a file or an entire session then it's already uploaded and ready to be sent. This is one reason I recommend Gobbler for delivery over dropbox. (I don't recommend dropbox as a backup solution, it won't be able to chase files not directly located inside the session folder.) Also, the transfer size—in my case at least—is virtually unlimited which is nice.

I use the following services for deliveries:
CloudApp for small mundane files which allows me to see when a file has been accessed and allows me to quickly break a link if I wish to make a change prior to sending a link.
Wiredrive for submitting scored video clips and sometimes other pertinent project material if approval/feedback is needed
Gobbler for sending sessions or asset files
Gobbler as well for sending larger files (10GB video clip)

arkieboy

Loc: Oxfordish
      #1040867 - 02/04/13 08:51 AM
There is a Dropbox plugin for OSX and Windows that mirrors a shared folder on your local drive so you don't have to work in the browser. I also use SkyDrive - if you have had a Microsoft account for some time you might find you have quite a lot of free storage waiting for you there ... Tend to use this to replicate files between machines and Dropbox to share files with other people

Both are essential and with the plugins seamlessly work in the background. The only thing missing is some kind of subversion functionality so you can recover previous versions of the file, but this would could get expensive as it would eat disk space ...

BTW, while there are many places where you could tweak the optimisation of Dropbox/Gobbler, I'm pretty certain the only one that would make a huge amount of difference in upload speed is in how much of your broadband connection it uses. Depending on your pattern of usage and ISP policy this could make one of the services work better for you than another - with Virgin I tend to prefer a trickle upload as they have been known to be aggressive in capping your access speed if you exceed your quotas, but at work on the Universities' network I want stuff to move as fast as possible

Steve

--------------------
arK music

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Gobbler new [Re: arkieboy]
      #1040869 - 02/04/13 09:07 AM
Quote arkieboy:

There is a Dropbox plugin for OSX and Windows that mirrors a shared folder on your local drive so you don't have to work in the browser.

There are also apps for iOS and Android.

Quote arkieboy:

The only thing missing is some kind of subversion functionality so you can recover previous versions of the file, but this would could get expensive as it would eat disk space ...

There's definitely versioning in Dropbox, including the ability to see when and who changed a file and recover back to a specific version. I've never had reason to use it, but the undelete has been useful for me from time to time.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

arkieboy

Loc: Oxfordish
Re: Gobbler new [Re: The Elf]
      #1040957 - 02/04/13 08:29 PM
Quote The Elf:

Quote arkieboy:

The only thing missing is some kind of subversion functionality so you can recover previous versions of the file, but this would could get expensive as it would eat disk space ...

There's definitely versioning in Dropbox, including the ability to see when and who changed a file and recover back to a specific version. I've never had reason to use it, but the undelete has been useful for me from time to time.

Thanks - I'll look into that! :-)

--------------------
arK music

johnnyjohnjohn

Re: Gobbler new [Re: arkieboy]
      #1041137 - 03/04/13 06:10 PM
It's a feature you can buy named Packrat and it keeps old versions of everything including files you've thrown away.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #1041150 - 03/04/13 07:17 PM
Quote johnnyjohnjohn:

It's a feature you can buy named Packrat and it keeps old versions of everything including files you've thrown away.

Actually Dropbox does that anyway for 30 days.

Quote Dropbox:

Dropbox saves a history of all deleted and earlier versions of files for 30 days for all Dropbox accounts by default. If you have the Packrat add-on, Dropbox saves those files for as long as you have the Packrat add-on

Old versions have no effect on your space allowance in either case.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4253

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media