Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
4TrackMadman

Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW?
      #1040368 - 28/03/13 08:31 PM
Hello all!
I have a collaborator that has created several track in Garageband for iOS (the mobile version).
He's asking my help in remixing the material but can't find a way to export the separate tracks with a common start time. Anyone have a suggestion on the best way this could be done?

I am working on PC, Studio One, Sonar or a few other DAW apps, that end should be easy, getting the files to me is apparently not.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: 4TrackMadman]
      #1040372 - 28/03/13 08:52 PM
Google "export tracks from garageband ipad". It seems possible, though you have to jump through a few hoops.

fletcher

Loc: london
Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: 4TrackMadman]
      #1040383 - 28/03/13 11:20 PM
Well with the normal garageband you can send an uncompressed mix to iTunes. By muting all tracks except the desired one and repeating for each track it is possible to get the files out one at a time. Have all FX off, all sliders at 0db, including master, no eq etc. Then you get the file as an AIFF. You can convert the file to WAV in iTunes if you need to. The drawback is they will be 16 bit and in stereo (even if it is a mono track).

I have done this myself, bit of a pain but doesn't take that long really.

electrotimba

Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: fletcher]
      #1040406 - 29/03/13 10:21 AM
Quote fletcher:

Well with the normal garageband you can send an uncompressed mix to iTunes. By muting all tracks except the desired one and repeating for each track it is possible to get the files out one at a time. Have all FX off, all sliders at 0db, including master, no eq etc. Then you get the file as an AIFF. You can convert the file to WAV in iTunes if you need to. The drawback is they will be 16 bit and in stereo (even if it is a mono track).

I have done this myself, bit of a pain but doesn't take that long really.

Not any different with iOS-he should use share>select uncompressed and as described above export to iTunes the AIFFs. The idea of using iOS GB is to export projects and open in Logic or GB on computer.

fletcher

Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: electrotimba]
      #1040411 - 29/03/13 11:33 AM
The easiest way is to open the Garageband project in Logic of course. But I was assuming that option wasn't available.

4TrackMadman

#1040504 - 30/03/13 08:37 AM
Fletcher is correct - no way to import in Logic or use a Mac.

--------------------

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #1040519 - 30/03/13 10:27 AM
Quote 4TrackMadman:

Fletcher is correct - no way to import in Logic or use a Mac.

I don't think that's quite correct. It may be that you have the wrong version of GB on your Mac:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4574
And if they'll load in GB, they'll load in Logic. From Logic you can export a multitrack in one go.

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

fletcher

Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: Tomás Mulcahy]
      #1040527 - 30/03/13 11:46 AM
think you have misunderstood, 4track means he doesn't have Logic or a Mac at his disposal. Which means it has to be done the long way around as I described.

I think that's what is meant at least.....

4TrackMadman

#1040571 - 30/03/13 10:58 PM
Yes, my Mac is way outdated (running 10.4) and the guy I am helping out with his project is on the newest version of GB on an iPhone and has no Mac. I am still having him try sending a GB file for me to try out if it will open on my GB (from 2005) but I doubt it will work. I think only way that we can do it is by exporting out (submixing) each file with a common start time and reassembling it on my end in Studio One or one of my other Windows DAWs.

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

#1040603 - 31/03/13 11:40 AM
Maybe, now he's dipped a finger into the water on his iPad, he would like to move over to doing it for real on a less restricted platform? The main work was deciding what he wanted, it will be easy to recreate it on a real computer.

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1040629 - 31/03/13 03:08 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Maybe, now he's dipped a finger into the water on his iPad, he would like to move over to doing it for real on a less restricted platform? The main work was deciding what he wanted, it will be easy to recreate it on a real computer.

Yeah....he's using garageband on the iPhone....and although good, is somewhat limited in its sound sources.

Unless he's using samples (which actually won't be that difficult to reconfigure) or has recorded his own sound sources into the iPhone, then all his project is actually midi files....running GarageBand instruments...

If you export a GarageBand iOS project into Logic Studio, you get a midi song...no audio see.

Now this is the only way I know to get the GarageBand midi off the iOS device ....you have to have logic and a mac......then you can export the resulting midi files to any platform daw.

And I'm thinking these maybe actually of more use for a "remix" project.....cause you can replace the sounds of GarageBand with more expensive and higher quality ones.....and mix in 32bit etc etc...and add etc etc

And the composer - your mate - might want to look at your gear and decide to add to his composition....or you might!

Now.....do you know anyone with a mac?.....you can do it the audio export way, but this sounds like a right ball ache...and ball aches are bad.....

All you need is a person with a mac.....some time on their hands....an ability to say, Dropbox the files back and forth to you....and a helpful disposition who's willing to aid a fellow forumee.....consider it an Easter gift, if you will?

A pm message maybe...

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

4TrackMadman

#1040709 - 01/04/13 05:41 AM
Actually one of my friends just bought a new Mac and has been asking me to show him Garageband so I might have a source for the transfer.

The bloke I am helping out is playing all the instruments himself, including drums and getting a really cool retro death metal sound (think Death circa "Leprosy", or early Pestilence). I personally like what he's doing with the limited technology, upgrading him might make him go for splashier production which IMO will ruin the material, but I did advise it. For the time being he needs help mixing using his sound sources so no midi at this point, just .wav or .aiffs.

--------------------

fletcher

#1040795 - 01/04/13 07:23 PM
If you want the midi files you have to have Logic. There is no way to export files from Garageband without opening the project in Logic - from which point you create a new Logic project. Without Logic it has to be done the audio way I described before. It only takes about 30 sec per track.

4TrackMadman

#1040826 - 01/04/13 09:41 PM
Thanks, I'll let you know how that fares.

--------------------

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: Wease]
      #1041788 - 07/04/13 02:27 AM
Quote Wease:

If you export a GarageBand iOS project into Logic Studio, you get a midi song...no audio see.

Weird. Logic Express 9 will do MIDI plus audio and all plug-ins 100% perfect fromGB on iOS.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1041829 - 07/04/13 11:31 AM
Quote Richard Graham:

Quote Wease:

Weird. Logic Express 9 will do MIDI plus audio and all plug-ins 100% perfect fromGB on iOS.

Ahhh....I meant unless you record some audio into GarageBand iOS initially.....if you just use the garagebands internal instruments, they come out As midi tracks in logic...with the GarageBand instrument sounds

Sorry for the confusion

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
Re: Garageband iOS how to export track to mix on another DAW? new [Re: Wease]
      #1041847 - 07/04/13 01:45 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Wease. I am having my own problems with Logic too (see other thread!) - if you could help me out I'd be much obliged!

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 12736

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media