Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mick C

Loc: Manchester, UK.
Snow Leopard upgrade
      #1040834 - 01/04/13 10:33 PM
Hi all,
I'm running snow leopard om a MacBook pro, with Focusrite 24 DSP and Studio One 2 Professional.
I'm thinking of moving up to the current Mac OS, mainly because i don't want to get too far behind the times, but I feel a little nervous...

Has anyone got any comment / advice to make.

Thanks
Mick

--------------------
Mick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Giscol

Loc: manchester, UK
Re: Snow Leopard upgrade new [Re: Mick C]
      #1040836 - 01/04/13 11:07 PM
Hi Mick - I'm afraid I can't help but I'm in a similar boat (MBPro, snow leopard) - thinking about moving to mtn lion. Have heard some issues (I'm a Logic user). I'm sure someone will have experienced this?

Cheers,

Rod

--------------------
Band Multiplier

turbodave

Loc: derbyshire uk
      #1040839 - 01/04/13 11:53 PM
Hi, I have done this...go for it! Dave

--------------------
My head hurts!

desmond

#1040841 - 02/04/13 12:15 AM
Quote Mick C:

I'm thinking of moving up to the current Mac OS, mainly because i don't want to get too far behind the times, but I feel a little nervous...

Has anyone got any comment / advice to make.

Yeah. Clone your drive, install the new OS, try it out. If it doesn't work out for you, you still have your old system drive and can continue on just as if the upgrade never happened...

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
      #1040868 - 02/04/13 09:03 AM
Currently using a Focusrite Saffire 56 with Logic on a MacBook pro with Mountain Lion. No issues whatsoever.

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
Re: Snow Leopard upgrade new [Re: MarkOne]
      #1040873 - 02/04/13 09:57 AM
Do you need to clone the entire drive, or just the system folder?
Ta.

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1040878 - 02/04/13 10:28 AM
The only issues I have for not upgrading my 2008 MacBook Pro from sl to mountain lion are

1 - require 4gb of ram for best performance...only have 2 gb at the mo....cost to upgrade ram is just under £40 from crucial

2 - some older 3rd party au don't work under mountain lion....and I need to replace these (or not use them!)

Now I have upgraded another MacBook Pro 2009 for my school to ml that has only 2gb of ram.....and it still works, but is a little stretched when working hard (which it doesn't do as often as the 2008 model)

I run a focusrite 10/10 which is also very old, but that has no issues with mountain lion...neither does my liquid mix...nor my external hd

The plus points for ml are the increased connectivity with other apple products (like AirPlay and iCloud) which is good for our school but not nessicarily so useful for people who only have 1 computer or just keep their MBP for daw/music etc...snow leopard is still solid and reliable....and still gets software updates.

I suppose, unless you have a great desire to upgrade, or you need the upgrade for certain new software you want, then you could leave it...but I have not noticed any real issues either way with either of the machines...both still work very nicely!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

desmond

Re: Snow Leopard upgrade new [Re: Wease]
      #1040881 - 02/04/13 10:42 AM
Quote Wease:

The only issues I have for not upgrading my 2008 MacBook Pro from sl to mountain lion are

For me, there are a few key pieces of software I use that do not work, or work reliably, under ML. However, to move forward, I will probably retain a dual boot system so I can run ML but boot into Lion where necessary - I just haven't got round to assessing how feasible this is yet.

And really, the only real reason for me that upgrading would be nice, apart from staying reasonably current, is that ML improves upon the hilariously awful dual-screen "support" when in full screen mode in Lion, which drives me nuts every day.

Minor rant: Come on Apple, there are many people that have two monitors - adding a super-awesome-cor-look-at-my-fullscreen-wonderfullness feature into the OS that blanks out any other monitor when invoked, and then making all your apps use this system, making a multi-monitor system useless, it's just a poorly thought-out feature. So you can't, with Apple apps (and others that use the system full screen feature), for example, hit fullscreen to view video on one monitor while continuing to work on the other.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
Re: Snow Leopard upgrade new [Re: desmond]
      #1040893 - 02/04/13 12:18 PM
Quote desmond:

Minor rant: Come on Apple, there are many people that have two monitors - adding a super-awesome-cor-look-at-my-fullscreen-wonderfullness feature into the OS that blanks out any other monitor when invoked, and then making all your apps use this system, making a multi-monitor system useless, it's just a poorly thought-out feature. So you can't, with Apple apps (and others that use the system full screen feature), for example, hit fullscreen to view video on one monitor while continuing to work on the other.

Wow, that's amazingly stoopid! And completely bizarre ... what were they thinking???? Apple are losing the plot; they got too big a while ago. They think about money, not R&D ... I wonder who the next 'Apple' will be and what innovations they'll do...

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

desmond

Re: Snow Leopard upgrade new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #1040899 - 02/04/13 01:04 PM
Quote Guy Johnson:

Wow, that's amazingly stoopid! And completely bizarre ... what were they thinking????

Ah, it's stil not fixed in ML:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/21/inside_os_x_108_mountain_lion_gm _go_full_screen_on_any_display

Workarounds are available of course. All it really needs is a system preference checkbox to "Blank other monitors in Fullscreen mode" and to let other monitors continue as normal (there are some wrinkles here, particularly to do with what happens with the menu bar) but I'm sure some workable solutions can be found...

Mick C

Loc: Manchester, UK.
      #1040935 - 02/04/13 05:29 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the comments.

Desmond - you suggest cloning the drive. I've never done this, is it a simple thing to do?

Cheers

--------------------
Mick

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
      #1040950 - 02/04/13 07:32 PM
Mick, did you check if your MBP can run Mountain Lion? My MBP can't (not that I would want it to anyway).

You can find out with this free app:

http://mactracker.ca/

The info is under Software/Maximum OS.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #1041005 - 03/04/13 08:33 AM
Quote desmond:

Ah, it's stil not fixed in ML:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/21/inside_os_x_108_mo...

I'm not going to get too worked up about this - after all, who amongst us who hasn't had a total Cupertino brain transplant is going to want to put their 27" screen into a mode that effectively emulates a 10" iPad, multiple screens or no - but it does seem something of a shambling heap of sh1t. Think I'll stick with SL.

CC

--------------------
Back away from the concertina and no-one gets hurt
Mr Punch's Studio

desmond

#1041060 - 03/04/13 01:11 PM
Quote Mick C:

Desmond - you suggest cloning the drive. I've never done this, is it a simple thing to do?

Sure. I use SuperDuper, but there are plenty of other tools to do this.

desmond

Re: Snow Leopard upgrade new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #1041061 - 03/04/13 01:14 PM
Quote ConcertinaChap:

I'm not going to get too worked up about this - after all, who amongst us who hasn't had a total Cupertino brain transplant is going to want to put their 27" screen into a mode that effectively emulates a 10" iPad, multiple screens or no - but it does seem something of a shambling heap of sh1t. Think I'll stick with SL.

There are lots of reasons to like fullscreen modes for some applications, without surrounding window crud or clutter or other distractions - movies, software tutorial videos, photo/picture display or editing, colour-sensitive work in a dark environment, presenting pictures/video/work to clients and so on...

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #1041094 - 03/04/13 03:36 PM
Fair comment. Doesn't look like it's how it's actually being used, though. Not worth an argument in any case.

CC

--------------------
Back away from the concertina and no-one gets hurt
Mr Punch's Studio

desmond

Re: Snow Leopard upgrade new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #1041098 - 03/04/13 03:41 PM
Quote ConcertinaChap:

Fair comment. Doesn't look like it's how it's actually being used, though. Not worth an argument in any case.

Well, it's endemic to the whole system. You're watching a quicktime movie on your second monitor. You hit the full screen command, to make that movie full screen. What actually happens is the movie moves to the first monitor, goes to full screen, and blanks out the second monitor completely. Not the intended action at all.

The implementation of full screen is flawed and useless for multi-monitor users. All ML does is mean that full screen can be on the second monitor, rather than just on the first, it still blanks out all other monitors.

And this is the same for all apps that use the system full screen, iTunes, Quicktime player, DVD player and so on...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3457

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media