Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
pzykt

Regular Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Pro with Retina display
      #1040845 - 02/04/13 01:11 AM
Hey everyone!!

I have a 3rd generation Mbox Pro (FireWire) and I'm currently hesitating between a high spec normal Macbook Pro with a hybrid hard drive and one with Retina display (SSD), which would imply buying a Thunderbolt adapter to connect my audio interface. Price is almost the same.

The problem with the adapter Apple manufactures is that it's a FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter, and the port on the Mbox is made for use with a FireWire 400 connector. Would it cause any issues to have signal running through a 400 to 800 cable and then into a Thunderbolt adapter?

The display on the Retina is simply mind-blowing but I read there were still a few minor compatibility issues with Pro Tools 10. Any idea of when this will be taken care of?

Do any of you have Pro Tools installed on an SSD? If yes, how would you rate performance compared to a regular hard drive? Apart from booting and saving times, does it change anything??

Also are plug-ins handled by CPU or RAM? Would you go for 8 or 16GB for use with sample-based plug-ins like Superior Drummer??

Oh and I have no use for an internal optical drive so that's not something that I'll be considering.

Not sure I need the Ethernet port, although I know it's a go-to for a variety of DAW controllers. But then again, adapters exist...

What I do have use for though is the HDMI port on the Retina MBP.

I'd really appreciate some input on this as I've been hesitating for a while now... Not sure whether to stay with an all-compatible device with FireWire, Ethernet and a Thunderbolt port built-in or anticipate on future technology and go with the Retina version + adapter...?

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Regular Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Pro with Retina display new [Re: pzykt]
      #1040847 - 02/04/13 01:18 AM
Quote pzykt:

The problem with the adapter Apple manufactures is that it's a FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter, and the port on the Mbox is made for use with a FireWire 400 connector. Would it cause any issues to have signal running through a 400 to 800 cable and then into a Thunderbolt adapter?

No, it's just a different connector. No problems.

Quote pzykt:

Also are plug-ins handled by CPU or RAM? Would you go for 8 or 16GB for use with sample-based plug-ins like Superior Drummer??

All software requires RAM to work in and CPU to execute. How much resources a given plugin uses depends on the plugin.
SD is a hefty plugin which requires a lot of RAM and also a lot of disk access. I would recommend 16GB of ram, as for a normal MBP ram is cheap (don't get it from Apple) and a Retina MBP it's non-user upgradable.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1827

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media