Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
gazza1967

Logic & midi
      #1044470 - 22/04/13 12:11 PM
I am trying to record a drummer (electronic kit) and a synth player at the same time, both audio and midi. I failed!
When the drummer hit his kit, he played a note on the synth.
Sounds like a simple fix, but I'm stumped.

I am currently using the latest version of logic, os10.7.? and a motu 128xt midi express.

The drummers midi was connect to the motu port 5 channel 1 (out only) - midi track in ligic set the same way.
The synth midi was connected to the motu port 1 channel 1 in and out) - midi track in logic set the same way.

I was under the impression that, because they are on separate ports the channel setting didn't matter??? Hence the "128" in the motus name.

Have I missed something in logic that I need to do or activate?

I'm sure there is a simple solution, but its stumped me and a few guys in various music stores.

Any help someone can give will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Logic & midi new [Re: gazza1967]
      #1044482 - 22/04/13 01:11 PM
If you have both tracks selected and record enabled, then incoming MIDI is going to both instruments.

Make sure "Multiplayer record" is enabled and your MIDI gear is on different MIDI channels.

Or you could record to tracks set to "No output" - lots of ways, depending on your requirements...

gazza1967

#1044486 - 22/04/13 01:24 PM
Thanks Desmond.

1. I was able to record 5 audio instruments, audio only), didn't mention that above sorry), do I need to activate multi record specifically for midi?
2. If the midi instruments are connected via different ports, do they need to be different channels?

3. If the midi tracks are set to no output, will that stop the midi output (that even sound silly as I type it, but I've only done that for audio)

Thanks

Gary

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1044515 - 22/04/13 03:40 PM
Quote gazza1967:

Thanks Desmond.

1. I was able to record 5 audio instruments, audio only), didn't mention that above sorry), do I need to activate multi record specifically for midi?
2. If the midi instruments are connected via different ports, do they need to be different channels?

3. If the midi tracks are set to no output, will that stop the midi output (that even sound silly as I type it, but I've only done that for audio)

Thanks

Gary

1 - yes you do....but you need to tell logic to do this.....every time!!! It's in the settings section, recording, midi...and it's a check box you have to tick....auto demix by midi channel when recording ....or something....

2 yes....everything that comes into logic, unlike Cubase et al...is bottlenecked into 16 channels of midi, regardless of the port into which the midi comes in from.....so you need to select a different channel for each external midi input device to send to logic....you have to do this on each of the midi devices....in your case, and cause my system is very similar, I'd make the druMs transmit on midi 10 and the keys on midi 2.....just to stay away from midi 1 channel
Then logic can split the midi inputs and just record the relevant info on the relevant tracks.

3 yes it will....just ensure you enable the output/software inst when you've finished recording

Midi input is the worst thing about logic.....I've always had an issue with it...but it's legacy (apparently)......des explained it wonderfully well one time on a previous thread.....

Hope this helps

Wease

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

gazza1967

#1044534 - 22/04/13 06:53 PM
Thanks Wease.

I've found the auto demix button, clicked it and saved as a template.
Closed project, opened new using that template and the button is still ticked. Brilliant, thanks.

Now, how do I turn the output off on a midi track?
As I said above, I've only done this on an audio track, don't have a clue where to look for a midi track?

Thanks for the info about logic bottleneck. Very useful

Cheers

desmond

#1044562 - 22/04/13 10:39 PM
Right/command click on a track and choose a "No Output" object to be assigned to it.

gazza1967

#1044585 - 23/04/13 06:06 AM
Thanks Desmond, when I right click, I can only see a mute on/off - I'm guessing thats what you mean or is the a "No Output" option somewhere else that I'm not seeing?

Sorry, too many obvious questions, but this side of logic is new to me, I understand the audio side a lot better.

Thanks for the help though guys.

Gary

desmond

#1044621 - 23/04/13 10:29 AM
Quote gazza1967:

Thanks Desmond, when I right click, I can only see a mute on/off - I'm guessing thats what you mean or is the a "No Output" option somewhere else that I'm not seeing?

Control/right-click on the instrument name in the track header, and up will come a menu. Choose Reassign track -> No Output..

Watch video

Edited by desmond (23/04/13 10:31 AM)

gazza1967

#1044625 - 23/04/13 10:46 AM
Thanks Desmond

I will have another go when I'm back in, and also watch the video.

Thanks a lot for your help

Gary

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2326

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media