Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Matthew Perryman

Loc: United Kingdom
Bouncing mono files in Logic 9
      #1046054 - 01/05/13 08:59 AM
Hi

So, I've been trying to figure this out for ages, and just can't seem to find a solution.

Problem 1 - I want to bounce a simple mono mp3 out of Logic. I have a single mono dialogue track that I want to keep as small as possible. Although Logic gives you the option of changing the mono bit-rate in its 'bounce' window, it always spits out a stereo file, which is obviously as twice as big as it needs to be. This is the same with PCM bouncing as well actually - there seems to be no simple option to bounce a mono file. Or am I just missing something?

Problem 2 - I use the 'bounce regions' function quite regularly. If i do a lot of editing work, or sound designing with a lot of plug-ins on a track, I like to bounce it down to save on CPU and just to lock the idea in. However, same as above, this always gives a stereo file. If I'm working on a bass track that has always been, and will always be in mono, it's annoying that suddenly it's a stereo file. I know this isn't really a major problem, but it bugs me that my sessions can almost suddenly double in size, needlessly. Is there any way to bounce the regions and keep them mono? If not, this seems to a be a very stupid oversight of behalf of the Logic people.

Thanks

Matthew

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Bouncing mono files in Logic 9 new [Re: Matthew Perryman]
      #1046057 - 01/05/13 09:06 AM
Quote Matthew Perryman:

Problem 1 - I want to bounce a simple mono mp3 out of Logic. I have a single mono dialogue track that I want to keep as small as possible. Although Logic gives you the option of changing the mono bit-rate in its 'bounce' window, it always spits out a stereo file, which is obviously as twice as big as it needs to be. This is the same with PCM bouncing as well actually - there seems to be no simple option to bounce a mono file. Or am I just missing something?

If you are bouncing from a stereo output object, you'll get a stereo bounce.
If you are bouncing from a mono output object, you'll get a mono bounce.

Essentially, the bounce format is whatever is coming out of the output object you are bouncing from.

So, click the output object to mono (one little circle, rather than two), and click it's bounce button.

If it's something you do a lot, you might want an extra mono output object in your session away from the main stereo outputs to bounce from, and just route tracks to that and bounce when necessary.

Quote Matthew Perryman:

Problem 2 - I use the 'bounce regions' function quite regularly. If i do a lot of editing work, or sound designing with a lot of plug-ins on a track, I like to bounce it down to save on CPU and just to lock the idea in. However, same as above, this always gives a stereo file. If I'm working on a bass track that has always been, and will always be in mono, it's annoying that suddenly it's a stereo file. I know this isn't really a major problem, but it bugs me that my sessions can almost suddenly double in size, needlessly. Is there any way to bounce the regions and keep them mono? If not, this seems to a be a very stupid oversight of behalf of the Logic people.

"Bounce in place" on a mono track with mono FX should result in a mono audio file, it does here.
If you have a mono audio file going through stereo effects to a stereo bus, then the result will be a stereo file. It does here.

Hope that helps.

Matthew Perryman

#1046062 - 01/05/13 09:19 AM
Hi Desmond

Thanks for the uber speedy reply.

I've tried switching the switching the stereo output to mono, but then this gives me signal only in the left ear, and in fact when I bounced it out, it was still a stereo file. All my channel strips/ plug-ins etc are mono only, yet it is still giving me a stereo file. Any ideas?

With regards to the bounce in place, I've realised that the 'include volume/ pan automation' box needs to be unticked. Even if the file is mono, there is no panning, and all the plug-ins are mono, if this box is ticked, it gives a stereo file.

Thanks

Matthew

desmond

#1046070 - 01/05/13 09:49 AM
Quote Matthew Perryman:

I've tried switching the switching the stereo output to mono, but then this gives me signal only in the left ear

Well yes, you're only using a single output, and if it's your main audio interface output, it will likely be the left channel only, which will play through the left speaker/ear. This is why I suggested using an output that you aren't using for your main mix output pair for general use.

Quote Matthew Perryman:

and in fact when I bounced it out, it was still a stereo file. All my channel strips/ plug-ins etc are mono only, yet it is still giving me a stereo file. Any ideas?

Not here, I make the output object mono, and bounce from it, and I get a single channel mono file. I verified this before posting. What format are you bouncing to?

Quote Matthew Perryman:

With regards to the bounce in place, I've realised that the 'include volume/ pan automation' box needs to be unticked. Even if the file is mono, there is no panning, and all the plug-ins are mono, if this box is ticked, it gives a stereo file.

Yes, normally you'd want this unticked anyway, but if that checkbox is ticked, I also get a stereo file. I switched the main output to mono and tried this again to see whether you'd get a mono file then (to see whether that checkbox was maybe routing the audio through the mix engine before writing the file) but the output was still stereo. Not sure why without further investigation - I'd guess that they've made the decision that if you want pan automation included in the bounce, you are most likely panning the track around the stereo field and thus automatically making a stereo track makes the most workflow sense.

Edited by desmond (01/05/13 09:49 AM)

Matthew Perryman

#1046142 - 01/05/13 04:26 PM
Hi Desmond

Yeah, it's all working fine now. Thanks for your help!

Matthew

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2880

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media