Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'd Rather Play

iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear?
      #1052728 - 16/06/13 11:54 AM
Day 7 of the iLock farce. It seems the safest bet is to stay clear of the site until things are sorted out. I want to make a purchase of an iLock protected product but I assume that's out of the question at the moment. Has anybody managed to authorise a product in the last 7 days?

BTW I assume this is the end of iLock as an authorising method, which I guess is no bad thing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
stratquebec

Loc: Quebec/Canada
Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: I'd Rather Play]
      #1052758 - 16/06/13 03:08 PM
I HATE THIS STUPID ILock THING.

Jack Ruston

#1052778 - 16/06/13 06:07 PM
I dont think its the end of iLok at all. It's a glitch in what is still the best way of copy protecting plug ins. The SSL thing is so bad that I can't even get the duende strip to work, and the Plug In Alliance stuff I have is still not up and running after I installed a new OS drive. iLok is good. For whatever reason they made a mess of this overhaul, but obviously these things happen. The licenses are not lost.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

Tui

Loc: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: Jack Ruston]
      #1052782 - 16/06/13 06:26 PM
Quote Jack Ruston:

iLok is good.

The people who've been locked out of Pro Tools and all of their plug-ins for a week might disagree with you.

Jack Ruston

#1052797 - 16/06/13 07:39 PM
Hey I completely agree that this thing has been a major disaster for some users and I think PACE would be the first to admit that they got that wrong. In fact they have done just that. But until someone presents a better alternative iLok is going nowhere. We've all used it for a long time with few problems and a lot of added convenience in terms of being able to take our licenses around with us from studio to studio. Sure, people complain about it but that's normally because they don't like having to pay for the iLok itself.

I think a more significant issue with this form of copy protection is the potential for performance problems which occur as the software polls the key for licenses in use.

Whatever, we have little grounds for complaint in general (vs this specific situation in which we have a lot of grounds for complaint of course) because this is a situation of our own making.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

twotoedsloth

#1052800 - 16/06/13 07:47 PM
Hopefully someone will post here when it is all sorted? I have some new iLok-d plugins I'd like to use but I'm not going to risk losing the license keys.

Thanks,

Peter

desmond

#1052802 - 16/06/13 07:54 PM
Quote Jack Ruston:

I think PACE would be the first to admit that they got that wrong. In fact they have done just that.

Have you got a link for this? I can find nothing about this on Pace's website...

Jack Ruston

#1052804 - 16/06/13 07:56 PM
I'll see what I can find...There was a public apology...on facebook maybe?

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

desmond

#1052806 - 16/06/13 08:05 PM
I think this may be to what you're referring?

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2013/6/11/ilok-apo...

So it looks like Pace say the issues are resolved..?

https://www.ilok.com/knownissues.html;jsessionid=e99ccff179f...

Jack Ruston

#1052813 - 16/06/13 08:22 PM
Ha, I was just about to post that....yes...that was the one....text here:

Dear iLok User Community,

We have let you down and we know it. We could have done a better job communicating that we were hard at work to fix the issues some of you have been having and for that we are truly sorry.

We handle tens of millions of licences for users, some stretching back over a decade with legacy code. Whilst we have worked to ensure a seamless transition, some issues occurred.

We are currently finishing the data migration to address each of the affected licenses. This should totally complete in the next three hours. The data change will happen in the background, and the resolution may not happen for each license in your account at the same time. It is a “first in - first out” change, so older licenses across all iLok accounts will be finished prior to newer ones. By the time you receive this, your licenses may already be fully migrated.

The following are updated steps for solving the temporary license issue:

Steps you need to take once you see the license type of “License” instead of “Temporary”:

If your iLok with the license had not been seen by the server, just the updating of the database record for your license will take care of the issue.
If your iLok had been seen by our server and your license is no longer working, please plug in the iLok and deactivate each of the affected licenses. To do this, open the Detail pane, then select the license from the license grid at the top. Choose the Deactivate link. Once the licenses are deactivated, you may then activate it to any allowed location.
If you are still experiencing difficulties please use this link to contact us and we will work with you to fix your issues. We are monitoring our support tickets closely during extra long hours to right matters.

We appreciate your continued support.

Andrew Kirk
Vice President
The iLok.com Team

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1052821 - 16/06/13 08:42 PM
The past problems I've had with iLok make me paranoid about letting anything near it. It's a major reason why I refuse to upgrade Pro Tools unless I absolutely must - and it stops me from trying out any demos that require iLok.

I'd be very glad to see the back of it.

I've had no such problems with Syncrosoft dongles.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Jack Ruston

#1052918 - 17/06/13 01:44 PM
Just a little update on this...I found myself forced to install the new manager and update a license today. After much trepidation I went ahead and did it, figuring that the worst that could happen would be a holiday. It did in fact work perfectly and everything SEEMS normal. Of course I can't vouch that other people would have the same result. Now I just need to work out exactly what percentage disappointed I am.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

buggymusic

#1053153 - 18/06/13 05:45 PM
THIS IS NOT FIXED

It just eat my PT10 license up

Thanks AVID for recommending I do this!!!!

Thanks iLok for the worst piece of software of all time

buggymusic

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: buggymusic]
      #1053188 - 18/06/13 11:16 PM
reverted my system using time machine and can now launch PT10

I can't load any new ilok assets though

Please don't put the new ilok software on your system

I'd Rather Play

#1053321 - 19/06/13 08:17 PM
I'm prepared to spend over a £1000 with East West but daren't. I assume If no one buys anything then that's the end of iLock hopefully.

Tui

#1053350 - 20/06/13 01:01 AM
Yup. The more I think about it, the crazier it seems to make oneself reliant on technology that is controlled by people you know nothing about, and who live thousands of miles away from you.

I'm totally done with this. Pace = No sale.

Scramble

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: Tui]
      #1053359 - 20/06/13 07:36 AM
Quote Tui:

The more I think about it, the crazier it seems to make oneself reliant on technology that is controlled by people you know nothing about, and who live thousands of miles away from you.

But you've just described most of modern life!

Tui

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: Scramble]
      #1053371 - 20/06/13 08:53 AM
Quote Scramble:

But you've just described most of modern life!

Yes, and it's bad. It is also easily foreseeable that all that high-tech interconnectivity, surveillance and attitude of "if in doubt, distrust everybody", will bite us in the ****, eventually. It will happen.

What can one do? Little steps to disentangle oneself. Not a penny anymore to that iLok racket.

desmond

#1053449 - 20/06/13 03:23 PM
This one too:

"Hello. This is Allen Cronce, President of PACE.

The past week has been one of the hardest weeks of my entire life. As I read through this thread, it honestly pains me that our mistakes have caused so much frustration and interrupted workflow. I haven’t been able to sleep and can barely eat. I know I should have addressed you all sooner, but I feel such shame for how this new launch has been executed, that I've been focusing our efforts on getting to a resolution, so you can all get back to work. I've never been in a situation like this and I realize our customer relations skills have been severely lacking. If you read on, you will see how I plan to change this.

I started PACE because I am passionate about technology. I know the amount of work that guys like Michael Carnes and Steven Slate go through to develop software products and I truly believe that these software products need to be protected from piracy. PACE has had a long run without many hiccups, which is something rare for any technology company.

That is why this past Monday I was shocked to see that the software that we at PACE have all been working on so hard for the past few years was launched with such unexpected technical errors… errors that have caused some users like you to be troubleshooting rather than working. I cannot tell you how upsetting that is to our entire team.

Even though its introduction has been rough, I am still very proud of the new iLok License Manager. The sole purpose of our new product is to make the iLok system better for you, the customer. We will get it working. We will make this right. We will prove to you that we are good people, honest people, with a good product that has the best intentions: to protect your investment and to protect the software industry's hard work.

Although our support team is working around the clock, I plan to improve our customer support so we can help you more effectively. We're going to update our website with more information and alert new users of the potential problems… something we should have done earlier. I was just optimistic that we'd have a solution earlier, but this was a mistake and I'm truly sorry.

We will continue to work with customers to solve issues they have had with the new iLok License Manager. We will maintain a presence here and post updates of our progress.

Once again, we realize we have let you down. The best thing we can do at this point is continue to focus our efforts on solving any outstanding problems to make sure our customers are up and running. You are going to see some big changes at PACE.

Allen Cronce"

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/846683-messag...

Scramble

#1053450 - 20/06/13 03:27 PM
>Little steps to disentangle oneself.

Oh just move into the forest already.

Tui

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: Scramble]
      #1053470 - 20/06/13 04:53 PM
Quote Scramble:

>Little steps to disentangle oneself.

Oh just move into the forest already.

That's where I live! (Well, almost).

I still like fast internet and the occasional hot meal, though.

tomas

Loc: Luxembourg
      #1053503 - 20/06/13 08:44 PM
Oh, how I wish for the day when we make companies like PACE redundant. That will be the the day when people respect each others' creative input to the commons. And the creators can still make a living. When piracy is no more.

Oh, go on, pass that bong!

--------------------
cheers,
t-:

Tui

#1053504 - 20/06/13 09:12 PM

Ducasse

Loc: Oakland, California
Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: desmond]
      #1053540 - 21/06/13 06:57 AM
Quote desmond:

This one too:

The past week has been one of the hardest weeks of my entire life. As I read through this thread, it honestly pains me that our mistakes have caused so much frustration and interrupted workflow. I haven’t been able to sleep and can barely eat. I know I should have addressed you all sooner, but I feel such shame for how this new launch has been executed, that I've been focusing our efforts on getting to a resolution, so you can all get back to work. I've never been in a situation like this and I realize our customer relations skills have been severely lacking. If you read on, you will see how I plan to change this.

I started PACE because I am passionate about technology. I know the amount of work that guys like Michael Carnes and Steven Slate go through to develop software products and I truly believe that these software products need to be protected from piracy. PACE has had a long run without many hiccups, which is something rare for any technology company.

That is why this past Monday I was shocked to see that the software that we at PACE have all been working on so hard for the past few years was launched with such unexpected technical errors… errors that have caused some users like you to be troubleshooting rather than working. I cannot tell you how upsetting that is to our entire team.

Even though its introduction has been rough, I am still very proud of the new iLok License Manager. The sole purpose of our new product is to make the iLok system better for you, the customer. We will get it working. We will make this right. We will prove to you that we are good people, honest people, with a good product that has the best intentions: to protect your investment and to protect the software industry's hard work.

Although our support team is working around the clock, I plan to improve our customer support so we can help you more effectively. We're going to update our website with more information and alert new users of the potential problems… something we should have done earlier. I was just optimistic that we'd have a solution earlier, but this was a mistake and I'm truly sorry.

We will continue to work with customers to solve issues they have had with the new iLok License Manager. We will maintain a presence here and post updates of our progress.

Once again, we realize we have let you down. The best thing we can do at this point is continue to focus our efforts on solving any outstanding problems to make sure our customers are up and running. You are going to see some big changes at PACE.

Allen Cronce"

I'm not normally one to be negative on things, but this is truly pathetic.

Jack Ruston

#1053544 - 21/06/13 08:26 AM
Or maybe it's refreshingly honest.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

OneWorld

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1053554 - 21/06/13 09:47 AM
Quote The Elf:

Don't tempt providence lol

Actually I can say the same, and have been using Syncrosoft since they moved over from the Printer Port dongle and apart from a few 'no licenses found' squeaky bottom times when transferring licenses from one dongle to another, all has been fine.

On one occasion I nearly goofed. I used one of those PCI cards that added further USB slots including two inside the PC case. I though hmmm, good idea, I'll plug my dongles into those inside slots so they are not sticking out asking to be snapped off.

I scrapped the PC but just before I was to put it in the car boot and take it to the city dump I thought I'll take the c:drive out, could come in handy, and then - staring me in the face were the 2 dongles!!!! Goodness me, they could have been on their way to the scrap heap!!

Tui

#1053578 - 21/06/13 11:14 AM
To be sure, the dance isn't over yet. There are still people reporting in with ****ed-up iLoks.

clisma

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1053582 - 21/06/13 11:24 AM
Quote OneWorld:

Quote The Elf:

On one occasion I nearly goofed. I used one of those PCI cards that added further USB slots including two inside the PC case. I though hmmm, good idea, I'll plug my dongles into those inside slots so they are not sticking out asking to be snapped off.

I scrapped the PC but just before I was to put it in the car boot and take it to the city dump I thought I'll take the c:drive out, could come in handy, and then - staring me in the face were the 2 dongles!!!! Goodness me, they could have been on their way to the scrap heap!!

Good story!

--------------------
Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

desmond

#1053732 - 22/06/13 01:12 PM
Quote Tui:

To be sure, the dance isn't over yet. There are still people reporting in with ****ed-up iLoks.

Yeah, there are still ongoing problems.

Also, in a nice bit of good timing, Avid have released PT11 and now many new PT11 users or upgraders are having iLok issues:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340188

It seems many people are finding the iLok upgrade process surrenders existing PT10 licenses (so you can no longer use your existing PT10) and doesn't complete the new PT11 license (so you can't use your new PT11 either). Nuking all your ability to run ProTools at all... ouch!

Edited by desmond (22/06/13 01:19 PM)

Tui

#1053769 - 22/06/13 08:19 PM
Well, I don't know about you guys, but after having followed the saga in some detail, Pace/iLok is not a something I will ever have faith in again. The technology is evidently unreliable and "Zero Downtime" means nothing of the sort in the event of their servers going down. The way they run their business turns out to be rather unconscionable.

Ducasse

Loc: Oakland, California
      #1053779 - 22/06/13 09:48 PM
Agreed. It is very troubling indeed.

twotoedsloth

#1053980 - 24/06/13 06:04 PM
So is this resolved yet? Or should I wait another week or so?

buggymusic

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #1054046 - 25/06/13 08:48 AM
I had my protools completely locked out - I think the issue could be that ilok software didn't play nice with bundles as PT10 and PT11 form part of the same bundle (in ilok speak)

I have 2 user cases in with PACE and haven't had any specific advice other than try again and follow the guidelines. That's what I did do which caused all the problems in the first place.

Using time machine I wound my mac back to 3 days before I installed the ilok software and was able to get PT up and running again, my issue now is not being able to load anything new

I also have AVID support as my PT10 is less than 1 month old - they have sent me a few emails but again haven't really addressed the actual issues.

Having support hasn't helped any. I kind of felt on my own with this and that is part of the issue

I would hazard a guess that real money lost to date due to these issues is in the hundreds of thousands worldwide. It is a terrible shame as software developers are so dependent on this and therefore so are we as users. We are the ones paying for our software and we get hit hardest.

Strangy

Loc: Cardiff, UK
      #1054054 - 25/06/13 09:34 AM
I had trouble upgrading to the ilok new manager, I think problems are being ironed out slowly but I certainly wouldn't upgrade right now if you're in the middle of something important!

My worry with this saga is that there appears to be no contingency; it's taken them 2 weeks to sort this mess out when they're still in business! what happens if they go under?!

for what it's worth I've had no trouble with the SSL codemeter on my system though I did beta-test the plugs. I'm sure there's a simple enough solution Jack!

johnny h

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: Ducasse]
      #1054056 - 25/06/13 09:41 AM
Quote Ducasse:

Quote desmond:

This one too:

Allen Cronce"

I'm not normally one to be negative on things, but this is truly pathetic.

Indeed. Let's hope the "big changes at PACE" include bankruptcy and eradication from our computers forever.

Tui

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: johnny h]
      #1054058 - 25/06/13 09:45 AM
Quote johnny h:

Indeed. Let's hope the "big changes at PACE" include bankruptcy and eradication from our computers forever.

At this stage, I must concur.

twotoedsloth

#1054157 - 25/06/13 06:06 PM
Okay, so I will stay in "wait and see" mode for the time being. I'm lucky I work at a university, I can tell students and faculty to leave me alone while I sort out my issues. I can't imagine what the television guys are doing without working pro tools.

The only plug I'm truly missing is the Izotope RX2. Is there an affordable non-ilok noise reduction plugin? I can get by with the built in Cubase and Soundforge plugins, though switching between applications is rather annoying.

Thanks,

Peter

buggymusic

Re: iLock disaster-Can't buy new gear? new [Re: twotoedsloth]
      #1054357 - 26/06/13 03:31 PM
UPDATE - Toby from Avid has remotely been on my system and got ilok s/w to work properly so the worst may be over

chris...

#1054364 - 26/06/13 04:08 PM
Quote buggymusic:

UPDATE - Toby from Avid has remotely been on my system

Yikes!

Jack Ruston

#1054376 - 26/06/13 05:27 PM
So what did he do...?

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 11449

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media