Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
J.K.

WHAT KIND OF MACBOOK TO GET?!
      #1053022 - 18/06/13 02:32 AM
So my desktop is taking adump on me, and I'm looking to get something a little more portable.

Was looking at some Hp and Asus laptops, along with macbooks.

I am fairly new to music production and looking to buy something good for beginning with that will last at least a year if not two, but also something cheaper since I am on a budget.

I have around 250-400 to spend, and need help!

I run Ableton Live 9 Intro and Massive at the moment and thats it, along with M-Audio monitors and my MPK49 keyboard.

Also will be using it just to surf the web and basic music.

I know I am looking for something like...

2.0+ Ghz
4GB+ Ram
250+ HD

And I'm thinking thats at minimum, I have been looking online and this is about the only thing I have found so far for specs and whats compatable with what I will be running...

Any ideas on a good cheaper laptop I can run my DAW and Vsts with, on the cheaper end?

I figured anything macbook 2007+ with the following specs above or better will do just fine?

I feel like I'm going overboard on this but I just dont wanna regret a future purchase or make an impulse one.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: WHAT KIND OF MACBOOK TO GET?! new [Re: J.K.]
      #1053049 - 18/06/13 08:11 AM
I purchased one of these recently

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4 -black-13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

via eBay for less than £400, although I can't recall the exact price.

I've not used it for anything too pressing, but I did put together a few video projects on it and it handled them fine. I've run Live on it, but nothing too tasking.

The biggest issue about an older mac will be battery life; mine has about an hour's charge.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

J.K.

Re: WHAT KIND OF MACBOOK TO GET?! new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1053151 - 18/06/13 05:05 PM
I was looking at this...

Found a mint late 2009 unibody macbook

13.3" screen
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 processor
8 gb ram
250 gb hdd
OSX 10.8.3 Mountain Lion

$450 but ima get him down to $400.

OR...

I found a few other 2009 unibody macbooks around 275-350.

Most with 2.0+ Ghz, 4GB Ram, 250GB Hard Drives.

Found one black/aluminum with 500GB HD for 450.

Noticed as I was searching mostly anything under 2009 is not really suitable for my needs.

2008-2009+ is at miniumum what I guess I wanna get for a mac and from what I've been told.

Edited by J.K. (18/06/13 05:07 PM)

electrotimba

#1053162 - 18/06/13 07:32 PM
The P7550 is nice processor as far as heat/noise is concerned, if you get new battery you could get up to 10h with it. Later post 2010 model are faster but get hot and noisy, those 2009/2010 13`were the quietest MBPs ever.

Will_m

Loc: Manchester
      #1053176 - 18/06/13 09:51 PM
Those could be all right for sketching ideas with or simple mixes but as soon as you start loading a few VST's on there its probably going to start to struggle and the HDD is going to be pretty slow. Could get a small SSD or hybrid in there, that should give a bit of an all round system boost.

I think it might be a bit of of false economy though, buying a second hand 4 year old machine, if anything breaks the cost of replacements could mean you end spending way more.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

Fen_Tigger

Loc: Below Sea Level
      #1053186 - 18/06/13 10:52 PM
Do you need a laptop? A Mac Mini might be a good bet. Not sure how much they go for on eBay, but I bet they're cheaper than a Macbook.

--------------------
"Playing the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order"

J.K.

Re: WHAT KIND OF MACBOOK TO GET?! new [Re: Will_m]
      #1053298 - 19/06/13 05:48 PM
Quote electrotimba:

The P7550 is nice processor as far as heat/noise is concerned, if you get new battery you could get up to 10h with it. Later post 2010 model are faster but get hot and noisy, those 2009/2010 13`were the quietest MBPs ever.

I think I'm going to get this one for 375!

Has small "wrinkle" cracks around the ethernet port but nothing major at all other than that its pretty nice.

Just get a case for it and itll be good...

I figured its a "good enough" processor, 8gb ram, and 250gb hd isnt the worst at minimum.

I wanted to find something with a 2.4 but 2.2 will be ok for now...

Quote Will_m:

Those could be all right for sketching ideas with or simple mixes but as soon as you start loading a few VST's on there its probably going to start to struggle and the HDD is going to be pretty slow. Could get a small SSD or hybrid in there, that should give a bit of an all round system boost.

I think it might be a bit of of false economy though, buying a second hand 4 year old machine, if anything breaks the cost of replacements could mean you end spending way more.

Pretty much I run ableton live 9 Intro and Massive only right now, so take in mind I barley have any sounds or vsts downloaded. I will use it for surfing the web, making tracks not necessarily mixing, I dont know to master or any of that yet so thats a ways down the road. I'm a beginner and this is only a laptop to last me like a year or two...

Quote Fen_Tigger:

Do you need a laptop? A Mac Mini might be a good bet. Not sure how much they go for on eBay, but I bet they're cheaper than a Macbook.

And yes I've been pc/desktop for a long time, I want something to carry around with me where I go for ideas and sketchpad like Will said above, this wont be my main computer just something to get my by for a year portable wise, ill probably invest in a new imac within the next year for a at home studio. This is just something to carry around...

Edited by J.K. (19/06/13 06:01 PM)

electrotimba

#1053307 - 19/06/13 06:17 PM
If it is the portability that counts, it is even better than later models which "eat" the battery fast, plus you have proper GPU which definitely shows when hooked to ext monitor, specially using 2, like I did most of the time with the similar model. Working wisely - using freeze, render to audio, you can get lots of work done.

Edited by electrotimba (19/06/13 06:19 PM)

J.K.

Re: WHAT KIND OF MACBOOK TO GET?! new [Re: electrotimba]
      #1053308 - 19/06/13 06:25 PM
Quote electrotimba:

If it is the portability that counts, it is even better than later models which "eat" the battery fast, plus you have proper GPU which definitely shows when hooked to ext monitor, specially using 2, like I did most of the time with the similar model. Working wisely - using freeze, render to audio, you can get lots of work done.

Yah I live in Minnesota and all my family lives in Georgia, I go to visit and want a laptop to bring with so I can do work on the trip.

I'm buying that one for sure too its actually this right here...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/sys/3860028602.html

Seem's legit for 375. I'll be upgrading in the next year or so.

I'm a beginner so no "hard" work is going to be done on this...

OR... this aluminum mid 2009. Pretty nice but he wants 450.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/sys/3875281433.html

But has...

Mid 2009 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
4GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Edited by J.K. (19/06/13 06:41 PM)

electrotimba

#1053331 - 19/06/13 09:22 PM
That "unibody" is plasticbody not unibody. I wouldnt buy that.

J.K.

Re: WHAT KIND OF MACBOOK TO GET?! new [Re: electrotimba]
      #1053351 - 20/06/13 02:46 AM
Quote electrotimba:

That "unibody" is plasticbody not unibody. I wouldnt buy that.

The all white one? So go with the aluminum one for 450?

I was thinking about getting that one anyways after I thought about it today...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2110

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media