Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
About doing FTP on a PPC Mac..
      #1069754 - 10/10/13 06:37 PM
I want to send my master for pressing by FTP, but am unsure how it works....

I have had a look at a few sites, and as I understand it, I just open an account, load up the files.

And then what ? do I just give an address to the pressing people who download them ?

Can anyone recommend an FTP that runs on a PPC pre-intel G5 ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Phil O

Loc: Scotland
Re: About doing FTP on a PPC Mac.. new [Re: Gone To Lunch]
      #1069755 - 10/10/13 06:52 PM
These days it's not usually necessary to have a FTP server utility as there are numerous online companies that provide a similar service e.g wetransfer, sendspace etc.

It's as simple as uploading your audio and providing the recipient with the download url (supplied by the company).

If you must have a FTP utility Fetch had a version that worked on PPC though I don't know if it's still available.

Scope

Re: About doing FTP on a PPC Mac.. new [Re: Phil O]
      #1069789 - 10/10/13 09:16 PM
TRANSIT was a useful ( & free ) app for FTP

Exalted Wombat

#1069792 - 10/10/13 09:22 PM
Quote Gone To Lunch:

I have had a look at a few sites, and as I understand it, I just open an account, load up the files.

And then what ? do I just give an address to the pressing people who download them ?

The people doing the pressing will doubtless have a FTP (or similar) "mailbox" for this very purpose. Have a look on their website.

ManFromGlass

Loc: In the woods in Canada
      #1069854 - 11/10/13 12:17 PM
I have used CyberDuck for many years. It is free.
Cheers
Eric

molecular

Loc: north a bit, west a bit
      #1069904 - 11/10/13 05:12 PM
the easiest site I've found for this is wetransfer.com which is just a matter of entering their email address, your email address and choosing a file then waiting.

For anything under 2GB it's free and you don't even need an account.

The above are all good, though, and I've also used cyberduck for years, no glitches. It just means getting log in details for their FTP site rather than just an email address.

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

mpvano

Re: About doing FTP on a PPC Mac.. new [Re: molecular]
      #1070015 - 12/10/13 02:28 PM
1. +1 for cyberduck - handles almost any kind of transfer - not just ftp - and it can be tried for free. The only downside is that it requires Java and some people don't like installing it these days (but it does NOT require installing the java browser plugin - which is where most of the danger lies).

2. In some cases, the finder can handle the transfer directly after logging in to the server using the "connect to server" item in the "go" menu with the correct "ftp://" url. Sadly this works with very few ftp servers - check with your intended recipient or just try it.

3. In a REAL pinch, every OSX version has included a command line ftp client called ... "ftp"! While it's clumsy for non-geek use, it's also very compatible with nearly all ftp servers as it's a standard Unix implementation. You may be able to figure out how to use it with a little step by step help from your file recipient. It usually only needs 4 or 5 typed commands to upload a file. If you know how to use it, use the "man ftp" command for more information about it, or just google "osx command line ftp".

hope these add to your options...

M

Edited by mpvano (12/10/13 02:32 PM)

Jeraldo

Surprised about "wetransfer" new [Re: molecular]
      #1070575 - 16/10/13 05:05 PM
I am surprised.

Because of the two mentions here, I tried "wetransfer." Both upload and download speeds are absolutely glacial, and it is completely impractical for sending and receiving almost anything of any size-even a short PDF file.

On the site, it mentions complaints about slow downloads (they say "sooooo slow"), and says it could be 1. time of day and/or 2. the users ISP. It also seems to indicate both free and paid plans are unthrottled.

My ISP speeds are just fine, and downloads from other sources are about 20 times faster. wetransfer also has a progress bar which has a running speed indicator for downloads. So the 20 times factor I mention is really on the conservative side relative to my ISP speeds and the experience of other downloads. The uploads are even worse-again, relative to my ISP upload speeds, and uploads to other sites.

Another transfer service,"sendthisfile," *is* throttled considerably for the free plans (they state this and provide a bar which indicates level of throttling for uploads) and it still much, much faster than wetransfer. The downloads from sendthisfile seem to be at normal speeds and unthottled-"normal" being the speeds of downloads in general, and generally near my ISP speeds, depending, of course, on the server providing the download.

This is not so much a complaint as a report, and I'm hoping that I've misunderstood something in a major way as there are reasons that would otherwise make me prefer wetransfer. (File size, for one, along with restrictive data amounts per month)

Are others' experiences similar to mine, or is something really wrong on my part?

Thanks

(BTW, I've written wetransfer to report my experience and see if they have an explanation. I just sent that, so I'm hoping for a reply in the next several days.)

I'm hoping something is amiss, and I'll report back to revise my relatively negative comments.

molecular

Re: Surprised about "wetransfer" new [Re: Jeraldo]
      #1070661 - 17/10/13 08:42 AM
That's interesting stuff.

I've never really done an AB comparison with sending the same file by these means, so you could be right that wetransfer is unnecessarily slow. Where I live, 500mb+ can be an overnighter anyway so I wouldn't really notice a throttle.

Maybe I should stress again the bonus of it's super-simple interface, which has been a godsend when I've occasionally had to work with people who can't tell a .zip file from a seed potato, but I'm definitely interested to see what you come back with.

The one programme I have felt is noticeably slower than anything else is when placing files for other people to download using Dreamweaver, but that probably wouldn't be normal practise for most folk here anyway.

--------------------

Jeraldo

Re: Surprised about "wetransfer" new [Re: molecular]
      #1070727 - 17/10/13 02:45 PM
Quote molecular:

That's interesting stuff.

I've never really done an AB comparison with sending the same file by these means, so you could be right that wetransfer is unnecessarily slow. Where I live, 500mb+ can be an overnighter anyway so I wouldn't really notice a throttle.

500mb+ would not be an overnighter with wetransfer, it would be days.
Seriously, a 2 page PDF document took five minutes or more to load and the same to download. Sending the same file via email took about two seconds to send and a few seconds to receive/download.

Quote molecular:

Maybe I should stress again the bonus of it's super-simple interface, which has been a godsend when I've occasionally had to work with people who can't tell a .zip file from a seed potato, but I'm definitely interested to see what you come back with.

Other services, like the one I mentioned (with some qualifications) above have equally simple interfaces.

I have to give them marks for frankly acknowledging the complaints about extremely slow speeds, but the causes they list are not the operative ones. And people wouldn't be complaining if the download speeds were the same as all the other sites they download from. (Apart from the slow uploads...)

I will definitely update this thread if I hear back from them.

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: About doing FTP on a PPC Mac.. new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1070733 - 17/10/13 03:50 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote Gone To Lunch:

The people doing the pressing will doubtless have a FTP (or similar) "mailbox" for this very purpose. Have a look on their website.

Upload/download speeds and service providers aside - this particular thread was answered by this post. They have an FTP. You uplaod to their FTP. They give you login and password details. End of.

As for sharing services, can't go wrong with Google Drive. I've given up on Wetransfer and Sendspace because the links expire.

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

molecular

Re: Surprised about "wetransfer" new [Re: Jeraldo]
      #1070768 - 17/10/13 08:58 PM
Quote Jeraldo:

500mb+ would not be an overnighter with wetransfer, it would be days.
Seriously, a 2 page PDF document took five minutes or more to load and the same to download. Sending the same file via email took about two seconds to send and a few seconds to receive/download.

I will definitely update this thread if I hear back from them.

I wonder if there is some kind of clash with your system - I sent a file that was a little over 1GB just a few days ago with wetransfer and it took about 5 or 6 hours, and I live in the middle of nowhere. Anyway - I guess we can't solve it unless you hear back

Good luck to the OP...

--------------------

Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
      #1070879 - 18/10/13 06:23 PM
Thanks for all your comments.

I have now done it happily and successfully via wetransfer.

Yes it was a little slow, but it was free, the pressing plant accepted it, and it was a once in a blue moon requirement for us, so it ended well for us.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1786

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media